Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Current E39 thinking about E60

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings and salutations fellow bimmer enthusiasts

I currently own a 2001 E39 540i (M62) Sport in stahl blau with all options but the fold-down rear seats and car phone hookup -- details are in my sig!

I love my baby. Vanessa has been with me through Boston winters, Manhattan traffic, New Jersey vandalism (keyed 2 times in 3 trips through the Garden State!) and most recently she has accompanied me after a cross-country stint on a train to beautiful Vancouver, B.C.

But I have been experiencing severe 7-year itch (yes, I am aware that it has only been 4) syndrome. I am ready to move on and trade my darling in for a new love.

Naturlich the E60 is on my current shopping list and what better place to glean insights and knowledge than a site dedicated to this model, am I right?

My first question for you obviously intelligent gentlemen/ladies of distinguished taste (ok enough brown-nosing... for now) would be:

* What other vehicles did you consider while shopping for the E60? *

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback during this arduous -- yet amorous -- process of new car shopping!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

e60 is a great car...just picked mine up on Euro Delivery. It exceeded my expectations in every way. Have you test driven one yet? With the lease rates and residuals out there, it is really a no brainer to me. I got a $67,000 loaded 545 for about $100 more per month than a $35,000 Acura TL!

Originally Posted by jd604' date='Mar 31 2005, 12:15 PM
Greetings and salutations fellow bimmer enthusiasts?

I currently own a 2001 E39 540i (M62) Sport in stahl blau with all options but the fold-down rear seats and car phone hookup -- details are in my sig!

I love my baby. Vanessa has been with me through Boston winters, Manhattan traffic, New Jersey vandalism (keyed 2 times in 3 trips through the Garden State!) and most recently she has accompanied me after a cross-country stint on a train to beautiful Vancouver, B.C.

But I have been experiencing severe 7-year itch (yes, I am aware that it has only been 4) syndrome. I am ready to move on and trade my darling in for a new love.

Naturlich the E60 is on my current shopping list and what better place to glean insights and knowledge than a site dedicated to this model, am I right??

My first question for you obviously intelligent gentlemen/ladies of distinguished taste (ok enough brown-nosing... for now) would be:

* What other vehicles did you consider while shopping for the E60? *

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback during this arduous -- yet amorous -- process of new car shopping!
[snapback]109372[/snapback]
Old 03-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Members

Honestly? None!

In fact, I purchased my 545i in record time due to a buddy of mine showing me a fantastic lease deal he got at about 10 AM one morning. By 4 PM that day, I had the car basically ordered!

Kinda scary but I just knew the E60, whose looks take getting used to, would just be "Da Bombe".

I wasn't dissapointed as I did a ED just last week and put 1250 glorious miles on it throughout Germany, Luxembourg, France, and Switzerland. This car goes and handles like a dream!

So, I guess I'll just remain "uninformed" about MB, Audi, etc. I'm quite happy from my POV!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Mar 31 2005, 12:17 PM
Have you test driven one yet?? With the lease rates and residuals out there, it is really a no brainer to me.? I got a $67,000 loaded 545 for about $100 more per month than a $35,000 Acura TL!
Hi TiGray!

No, I have not tested the E60 yet -- I was test-driving a 6-series Cabriolet 2 days ago though and I have to admit that the 'Active Steering' option scared me more than a little. I'm guessing it's an advancement that will just take some getting used to... well, either that or just avoid it on the options list like the bubonic plague.

I am scheduled to go back to the dealership for another round of test-drives later on today or tomorrow when I will make sure an E60 is on the list.

As for leasing... hmm... I have never really been one to lease/finance so the payments/residual is not a part of my decision process at this time (but I can definitely see the no-brainer part of the argument against an Acura TL! )
Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Mar 31 2005, 12:21 PM
In fact, I purchased my 545i in record time due to a buddy of mine showing me a fantastic lease deal he got at about 10 AM one morning.? By 4 PM that day, I had the car basically ordered!?

So, I guess I'll just remain "uninformed" about MB, Audi, etc.? I'm quite happy from my POV!?
[snapback]109375[/snapback]
Hi Agent99!

Wow... that is definitely a much quicker 'sit-and-wait-to-hopefully-cool-burning-desire-to-get-new-car' period than I have ever let myself experience

I think part of my hesitation is that I have been in a sedan for the last 4+ years and a part of me is aching to get into a roadster (like how JFrench of the Roadfly forum went Boxster from E39)... but, having been disappointed by the SLK55 after a closer look, there really is not a sporty GT that I can see myself enjoying for the next 4-5 years available on the market currently.

I am just curious what were the thought processes that current E60 owners went through before making that final decision... I have looked at the new A6 and the E500 (both have gorgeous interiors btw) but neither inspired me to the point where I am begging to place an order.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 9/04 BMW E46 / 3

Welcome on board!

I concidered ordering a new X3 because of having something different instead of another 5?.

But I figured out, that I need the comfort and feeling of a sedan. The X3 was too hard for all day driving.

I?m very happy to have the E60 but the last driving to the dealer with my E39 was a little sad. Now I visit him every week - he?s at the dealer and no one likes to buy him (too expensive).

When I see all the E39? at the dealers place, I feel the time is gone and I love the E60 so much. It?s an emotional car in my oppinon, something special. The E39 was also reliable not so emotional felling.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jd604' date='Mar 31 2005, 02:34 PM
I am just curious what were the thought processes that current E60 owners went through before making that final decision... I have looked at the new A6 and the E500 (both have gorgeous interiors btw) but neither inspired me to the point where I am begging to place an order.
[snapback]109382[/snapback]
Welcome to our forum.

I had two E39 leases (a '98 and a '01) and loved those cars. As soon as I saw the first pictures of the E60, I knew that's what I wanted.

If you like "Vanessa", you'll love the E60. Go drive it and then see if you still want to look elsewhere!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Members

Rudy has a good point. I have owned a 2001 530i since March, 2001, and I've enjoyed every minute of that car. BTW, nice reference to old Toadflea...I do recall all that quite well...

Why did I get that one?? I drove a buddies 2000 528i and was simply amazed a car could feel and drive "like that."

So, I guess I'm just hooked-on BMW and feel very certain that buying an even more technologically advanced car wouldn't be a let-down.

But, to be frank, I have never really driven an Audi or Mercedes or Lexus. I've ridden in them but never really drove them myself. Also, to be more frank, I am just not interested in any other marquee...right now. I'm happy to be ignorant of all other brands save BMW!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by jd604' date='Mar 31 2005, 12:27 PM
[quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='Mar 31 2005, 12:17 PM']Have you test driven one yet?? With the lease rates and residuals out there, it is really a no brainer to me.? I got a $67,000 loaded 545 for about $100 more per month than a $35,000 Acura TL!
Hi TiGray!

No, I have not tested the E60 yet -- I was test-driving a 6-series Cabriolet 2 days ago though and I have to admit that the 'Active Steering' option scared me more than a little. I'm guessing it's an advancement that will just take some getting used to... well, either that or just avoid it on the options list like the bubonic plague.

I am scheduled to go back to the dealership for another round of test-drives later on today or tomorrow when I will make sure an E60 is on the list.

As for leasing... hmm... I have never really been one to lease/finance so the payments/residual is not a part of my decision process at this time (but I can definitely see the no-brainer part of the argument against an Acura TL! )
[snapback]109377[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, you may want to check into leasing, the deal is too good to pass up.

As for active steering, I too was a little concerned based on posts I've read. But after 1,500 miles in Europe in the last week, I can tell you active steering is great...I experienced no issues whatsoever. In fact, driving my z4 today, it felt like a school bus pulling out of my garage because of the amount of wheel turning required. I drove on a lot of backroads in the 545 and never noticed any change of ratio mid turn, etc. No noises either. Perhaps its the new software that has made the difference.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

I considered 6 and 7 series, but
a) with a wife and 2 young kids, I did not want a 2 door
b) at age 30 I prefer to leave a 7 for my 40's (leave myself something else to look forward to !)

With the MSports pack, the 5 series is clearly unique, I think it really stands out compared to Merc, Audi etc.

Quick Reply: Current E39 thinking about E60