Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Current E39 thinking about E60

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Mar 31 2005, 01:54 PM
Well, you may want to check into leasing, the deal is too good to pass up.

As for active steering, I too was a little concerned based on posts I've read.? But after 1,500 miles in Europe in the last week, I can tell you active steering is great...I experienced no issues whatsoever.? In fact, driving my z4 today, it felt like a school bus pulling out of my garage because of the amount of wheel turning required.? I drove on a lot of backroads in the 545 and never noticed any change of ratio mid turn, etc. No noises either.? Perhaps its the new software that has made the difference.
[snapback]109445[/snapback]
Hey TGray5,

How do you think the 545i would do on the track? I know you are pretty good on the track so I respect your opinion of the AS.

I have to be honest again, I did not notice anything special about the steering on my 545i until I read about what AS does for you. Then I started paying attention and noticed the difference at low speed only...couldn't tell anything was different at higher speeds.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

My 2005 545i was my first BMW, I already know it won't be my last. I have never been as attached to any car as I am to my E60 , and am already planning on how I can get myself into an M5 next time around (but would, ahem, "settle" for another 545 or 550 if I really had to.... )

edited to add that I did consider and test drive the A6 and Acura RL (and have been a previous MB owner), they were good but when I test drove the 545 I knew I was going to buy the car before we even got back to the showroom. It was just in a different league to the others..... The E60 has soul, spirit and generates real emotion, the Audi etc were just "nice"
Old 03-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Members

I drove a '99 528i until November of last year. I originally leased it and bought it as a CPO after 3 years to get the extended warranty. As the extended warranty was up in early 2005 (only goes 6 years, 100K mi), I decided to get rid of the E39 and ended up buying a 530i E60 after a test drive.

While I enjoy the car, I would say a couple of things about it in comparison to the E39 (which I loved).

1. It is a more "refined" car. The interior has better fit and finish and is more luxurious than the E39, even though you will read gripes about use of plastic, etc. quality of leather, etc. on this board. They have and continue to make cosmetic improvements over the original 2003 version and it is just better.

2. The drive has been similarly "refined". It is great, but I think there is a tad less "road feel" in the E60 than the E39. I recently drove a loaner 325ci and was surprised how much more I felt connected to the road (in a good way) than in the E60.

3. It is a bigger car than the E39-- about an inch in each dimension. It definitely feels like a bigger car when you drive it, which may have something to do with 2. (The good news is that it is much roomier in the back seats than the E39.)

4. They have gone way overboard on gadgetry. iDrive is not as bad or hard to use as the press has written, but it still is a very complicated car with too much in the way of noticeable electronics and not as good ergonomics as the E39. As an example, they put the red/blue vent controls under iDrive. Why? It really doesn't declutter anything, and I tend to use them a lot in the winter. Just gratuitous gadgetry when a simple analog control worked just fine. There are many other examples. It's not a complete killer, but it detracts from the driving experience. (And I'm a gadget freak.)

5. All the gadgetry has taken a big toll on reliability. There are numerous software glitches. I had my car in for almost a month with a mysterious battery drain problem which they finally tracked down to the main controller (AS-K controller) waking up at odd intervals intermittently. You become very aware of software, release levels, glitches. It's getting to be more like owning a PDA or a computer than a car. This in my mind is the car's biggest drawback.

Bottom line. The E60 is a nice car, its a lot of car-- I suspect that compared to older 7ers, the E60 is closer to what the 7 used to be than what the E39 was. IMHO, the E39 was really the perfect mid-sized sport luxury vehicle. It is just more fun than the E60, which has crossed the line to be a luxo barge like the E65. While I like my E60, I loved my E39 and have seriously considered looking for a 2002 E39 in its place. I also wonder if the E90 3-series will be closer to what the E39 was, given that every model seems to be getting bigger/more luxurious/gadgety. We'll see...

So, if you love your E39, I would suggest driving the E60 and think real hard about whether moving up is a real improvement. I suspect the E39 is going to be considered a "classic" BMW as time goes on.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, jd604 !
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: On order for November Delivery - 550 !!!! - Currently own 1999 E39 540, sport pkg, premium sound pkg, black on black. Previous owner of 2000 M Coupe, 1996 328is, 1984 633csi, 1982 528e, and wifed owned 1999 528 touring and 2002 525 touring. Looking at buying 545 or 550 in fall of 2005.

Originally Posted by jd604' date='Mar 31 2005, 12:15 PM
Greetings and salutations fellow bimmer enthusiasts?

I currently own a 2001 E39 540i (M62) Sport in stahl blau with all options but the fold-down rear seats and car phone hookup -- details are in my sig!

I love my baby. Vanessa has been with me through Boston winters, Manhattan traffic, New Jersey vandalism (keyed 2 times in 3 trips through the Garden State!) and most recently she has accompanied me after a cross-country stint on a train to beautiful Vancouver, B.C.

But I have been experiencing severe 7-year itch (yes, I am aware that it has only been 4) syndrome. I am ready to move on and trade my darling in for a new love.

Naturlich the E60 is on my current shopping list and what better place to glean insights and knowledge than a site dedicated to this model, am I right??

My first question for you obviously intelligent gentlemen/ladies of distinguished taste (ok enough brown-nosing... for now) would be:

* What other vehicles did you consider while shopping for the E60? *

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback during this arduous -- yet amorous -- process of new car shopping!
[snapback]109372[/snapback]
JD:

I am in a similiar position as you. I have a 1999 E39 540 Sport pkg and am itching for a new E60. I've driven the 6 series, the 545 step, and am just waiting to test the 545 smg to finally decide on transmition. I'm not interested in any other cars (well, an M5, but not realistic for me right now). I will wait for the 2006 550 and order one to my specs and take delivery in the late fall. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by BMW#4' date='Mar 31 2005, 03:58 PM
b) at age 30 I prefer to leave a 7 for my 40's (leave myself something else to look forward to !)
[snapback]109450[/snapback]
Hey! Watch it, there are some of us in our 40's who are driving the 5!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

FYI, JFrench unloaded that P-car over a year ago.

If you want a cheap sports car, go w/ a C6 Vette. The E60 is a much better car than the E39 in EVERY way. This from an M5 owner.

good luck w/ whatever you do.

cheers,

beewang
Old 03-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Guest_kscarrol_*

Sorry, that was me. In my "old" age, I forgot to log in...
Old 03-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Members

I too have ordered a 545i and will pick it up at the end of my current e39 lease in May. I have had two e39's which I have enjoyed every minute of.

I did my due diligence when I had to decide which car to replace my 2002 540i with at the end of the lease. I test drove the new A6, the Acura RL and Jaguar S-Type and looked at the Infiniti M45. I did not feel these cars came very close to the type of driving I was used to with my 540i's. The Acura and A6 had very nice interiors and creature comforts but the driving experience was lacking. I could not test drive the M45 but the lease rates for it precluded my considering it.

Test driving the 545i convinced me. It is different froim driving the 540i but it still has that smile-inducing feeling that I get every time I drive my current 540i. Another major consideration was the 545i was the only one available with a manual.

The final clincher was the monthly payments. With the current lease deals there was no way the others could come close. Even if you are not interested in leasing, the fact that these cars seem to hold their value must be a consideration.

HTH
Old 03-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Harry' date='Mar 31 2005, 12:41 PM
I?m very happy to have the E60 but the last driving to the dealer with my E39 was a little sad. Now I visit him every week - he?s at the dealer and no one likes to buy him (too expensive).
[snapback]109388[/snapback]
Hi Harry!

I'm not looking forward to that swan song either but I guess all good things must come to an end... out of curiousity though... was your E39 released back to the dealer off-lease or did you trade it in?
I ask because if you did a trade-in, I would be interested to know the allowance your dealer gave you for it?

Quick Reply: Current E39 thinking about E60