Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

another stealership story

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

One of my associates at work took their car into the dealer for regular maintenance - (They are under the "free" maintenance coverage).

They told me when they picked up the car they saw all kinds of things on the paperwork that said "Customer states air is moldy -requests new filters)....

Essentially the dealer was saying the customer was asking for new parts that they had not asked for. My guess is the dealer then bills BMWNA for this under the free maintenance.

I don't think they were doing this to help my friend but rather be able to bill BMWNA. Seems a bit questionable to me.

Thoughts / comments?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Originally Posted by wolf' post='1015342' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:33 PM
One of my associates at work took their car into the dealer for regular maintenance - (They are under the "free" maintenance coverage).

They told me when they picked up the car they saw all kinds of things on the paperwork that said "Customer states air is moldy -requests new filters)....

Essentially the dealer was saying the customer was asking for new parts that they had not asked for. My guess is the dealer then bills BMWNA for this under the free maintenance.

I don't think they were doing this to help my friend but rather be able to bill BMWNA. Seems a bit questionable to me.

Thoughts / comments?
The customer has prepaid for the "free" maintenance which is built-in to the price of the car.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by goodman' post='1015422' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:46 PM
The customer has prepaid for the "free" maintenance which is built-in to the price of the car.

I understand that it is "built into the car". However, what I pointing out is the relationship between the local dealer and BMW of North America. Specifically, I believe that BMWNA pays the dealer for all "maintenance" that is covered during this period. So, the more work that the local dealer can "claim" was needed, the more they get paid. So, when a dealer starts saying that a customer "asked for something" that they didn't really ask for, you have to question why were they doing that?

In an extreme case imagine that under warrantee a transmission goes. I expect BMWNA would pay for the parts but would also pay the local shop (dealer) for the labor. Thus even though the customer isn't paying, the local shop is making money.

So, it appears in this case the local shop is saying the customer is requesting certain things so they can invoice BMWNA for the effort. While this may seem small, if this is happening frequently it adds up quickly based on hourly labor rates.

I was curious if anyone else has seen this type of thin
Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1010785' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:39 AM
This is it, I'm now going to aspire - not to being an attorney, nor a surgeon, nor a politician - I want to be a BMW dealership owner. With this kind of mark-ups (400 for 30 in parts and maybe 20 in labor), I'll be a gazillionaire in two days of actual work!!!

WHAT A BUNCH OF SLIMEBAGS, man!!!

cant believe that sh$T... well actually i do lol... but these guys have some nerve, how do they sleep at night raping people. thats why forums like this are the Sh%t.... F$%K Stealers lol
Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by wolf' post='1015342' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:33 PM

Thoughts / comments?
No offense but your take on this is completely wrong. The money that dealers are paid for services such as these is minimal at best. In your friend's case, the technician probably smelled something odd in the car and, in the best interest of the customer, reported the problem and rectified it so that it didn't get worse and inconvenience him with another service visit. You have no idea of the checks and balances BMW has in place with their dealers to combat fraud. If there is even a whif of impropriety or, in some cases not, BMW will send in a team of auditors and the dealership can easily lose their franchise.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

I had to have mine replaced last week as they were 5200km over their service time according to iDrive. And they were DIRTY!

I only paid for the filters, 82 Euros (including a 15% discount) for the pair of active carbon filters. That is about $120 USD.

I think that I will have a relative State-side order two pair for me next summer, have them shipped up here, and then do-it-myself.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

[quote name='acuteperformance' date='Sep 14 2009, 05:42 PM' post='1007501']
I need to have my micro air filters replaced BMW quoted me ~$400. if you do a google search the cost on the part is ~$30.

Yes, it is a world wide problem,but we sometimes forget that dealerships cannot survive on vehicle sales only.They expect on going service work in order to remain solvent.However,their hourly labour charges,etc, do not attract the owner who has to pay for his own maintenance.I believe that these astronomical
charges originated with "company" vehicles where accountants had no idea what they were paying for.Look around your local BMW dealership,some are more like a fashion boutiques than car dealerships,especially if they are also selling the Mini! It's not just the premium brands that don't encourage DIY maintenance, they all need the income in times of a recession.Also,cast your minds back a couple of decades,how many BMW owners did their own maintenance?I've been doing it for over 40 years on a multitude of makes since I was a poor university student,but believe me,I'm getting too old for all this
****!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by acuteperformance' post='1007501' date='Sep 14 2009, 06:42 PM
I need to have my micro air filters replaced BMW quoted me ~$400. if you do a google search the cost on the part is ~$30.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

muHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

PUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

ouch my sides hurt and i think im tearing..

Does that include a happy ending?????