The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

ZR-1 specs and pricing

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelic0-' post='698568' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:11 AM
How about Porsches.... arent they all overpriced ?

What about the Porsche GT ? or the GT3 RS ?

I'd take the Corvette ZR-1 over the both of them...
personally i would take the GT3 RS over the ZR-1.

the GT3 RS is more of a car that you can take to the track and not worry about putting some track time on it.

with the ZR-1 most people that buy that car will start it 1 sunday every month and drive it around the block. i honestly doubt many ZR-1s will be bought to be used as a person's "go fast car" or be raced.

im not trying to be a dick or offend anyone, but 99 percent of the owners will never use their ZR-1 for performance reasons. all it will be is for bragging rights.

i love the ZR-1, dont get me wrong it is an amazing piece of machinery.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd' post='698635' date='Oct 21 2008, 02:04 AM
personally i would take the GT3 RS over the ZR-1.

the GT3 RS is more of a car that you can take to the track and not worry about putting some track time on it.

with the ZR-1 most people that buy that car will start it 1 sunday every month and drive it around the block. i honestly doubt many ZR-1s will be bought to be used as a person's "go fast car" or be raced.

im not trying to be a dick or offend anyone, but 99 percent of the owners will never use their ZR-1 for performance reasons. all it will be is for bragging rights.

i love the ZR-1, dont get me wrong it is an amazing piece of machinery.
To go out on a limb, I'd say that 90%+ of all M5/M6/M3s never see a track; including a good many of the ones on this very site. And the same can be said for basically all high performance cars. They're simply for bragging rights. Those cars cost way too much to risk destroying on a track. Serious "trackers" typically spend money on stuff that's cheap, build it up to track level performance, and put that on a track. High dollar performance cars are involved more in street racing than track racing. And seriously, who really wants to take an M5/M6 to a track and expect to be competitive? I mean, why would someone take a whale shark to a dolphin swim contest?? No offense, of course. The M5/M6 are nice machines to be sure, but if I were going to a track event, they wouldn't be on the top of my selection list; if on the list at all... A street race? Sure. A track event? Not likely.

Anyway, I went way off on a tangent with the last half of that. My point is, you're probably no less likely to see a ZR1 on a track as you are to see a GT3-RS, et. al. And when you do see those on a track, it's at "planned" events where the drivers are basically just cruising around a track w/ no passing involved or no "aggressive driving" allowed.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='698714' date='Oct 21 2008, 05:17 AM
To go out on a limb, I'd say that 90%+ of all M5/M6/M3s never see a track; including a good many of the ones on this very site. And the same can be said for basically all high performance cars. They're simply for bragging rights. Those cars cost way too much to risk destroying on a track. Serious "trackers" typically spend money on stuff that's cheap, build it up to track level performance, and put that on a track. High dollar performance cars are involved more in street racing than track racing. And seriously, who really wants to take an M5/M6 to a track and expect to be competitive? I mean, why would someone take a whale shark to a dolphin swim contest?? No offense, of course. The M5/M6 are nice machines to be sure, but if I were going to a track event, they wouldn't be on the top of my selection list; if on the list at all... A street race? Sure. A track event? Not likely.

Anyway, I went way off on a tangent with the last half of that. My point is, you're probably no less likely to see a ZR1 on a track as you are to see a GT3-RS, et. al. And when you do see those on a track, it's at "planned" events where the drivers are basically just cruising around a track w/ no passing involved or no "aggressive driving" allowed.
I generally agree with your post but in my experience GT3 RS owners (and GT3 owners) are highly likely to track - it is after all the raison d'?tre for the car's existence and owners (based on those I know of from other forums) are pretty likely to take advantage of it.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Since we're pulling numbers out our asses, how about 99% of Ferrari drivers, 99.3% of Lambo, 100% of Veyron, 97% Saleen S7. So what's the point. Look, there's a 99% chance none of us here will be getting the ZR1, so chill out and know that the 1,500 lucky guys that will be getting a ZR1 will be doing whatever the hell it is they want to do.

Oh and if you guys want to drive one, you can take a 2 or 3 day class in the cockpit of a ZR1. Or, you can bring your own.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='698714
I generally agree with your post but in my experience GT3 RS owners (and GT3 owners) are highly likely to track - it is after all the raison d'?tre for the car's existence and owners (based on those I know of from other forums) are pretty likely to take advantage of it.
exactly my point. go to 6speedonline.com and take a poll on how many GT3 RS owners track their car. you will get a lot of people that do. why is that? well they are great performance cars just like the ZR-1

Originally Posted by alexf9496' post='698814' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:44 AM
Since we're pulling numbers out our asses, how about 99% of Ferrari drivers, 99.3% of Lambo, 100% of Veyron, 97% Saleen S7. So what's the point. Look, there's a 99% chance none of us here will be getting the ZR1, so chill out and know that the 1,500 lucky guys that will be getting a ZR1 will be doing whatever the hell it is they want to do.

Oh and if you guys want to drive one, you can take a 2 or 3 day class in the cockpit of a ZR1. Or, you can bring your own.
ok smart ass take your stupid ass comments elsewhere
Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd' post='699206' date='Oct 21 2008, 01:18 PM
Sorry if that offended you. A guy's gotta be himself
Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd' post='699206' date='Oct 21 2008, 03:18 PM
How about you lighten up or find another forum...maybe both?? :thumbsdown:
Old 10-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Since when did this become a GT3 RS vs. ZR-1 thread?

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd' post='699206' date='Oct 21 2008, 03:18 PM
Jeeez, and to think it's not even hump-day yet. Can't wait to see you what your mood is tomorrow ... :thumbsdown:
Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by alexf9496' post='699217
How about you lighten up or find another forum...maybe both?? :thumbsdown:
relax dude

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='699255' date='Oct 21 2008, 05:29 PM
Since when did this become a GT3 RS vs. ZR-1 thread?

Jeeez, and to think it's not even hump-day yet. Can't wait to see you what your mood is tomorrow ... :thumbsdown:
yeah i know. ive been sick since friday so 5 days without making money puts me in a bad mood. i hate being sick.

anyway let the thread continue, back to our discussion...
Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd' post='699591' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:12 PM
yeah i know. ive been sick since friday so 5 days without making money puts me in a bad mood. i hate being sick.

anyway let the thread continue, back to our discussion...
Get well soon

Quick Reply: ZR-1 specs and pricing