The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippers525' post='242479' date='Feb 18 2006, 06:30 PM
Guys.

I don't think that 1/2 of you honestly know what you're talking about. You can't talk poorly about a cars offroad abilities if you haven't driven one. The Jag engine is phenominal. I have had 0 engine problems with the car yet. It's running a modified AM trans. The only difference is an added oil pump to continue oil circulation in the tranny when on inclines, there are similar differences in the engine as well. The car is amazing at off roading. It can do things that you're afraid of making the car do. You should attend one of the offroad schools just to see what these cars can do.

Trust me... I have... and the RRS is in no way an off road vehicle. Not anymore than a Tourag or it's Porsche sister. I have plenty of time off road in Rovers (and other vehicles). I have done hundreds of hours of training in real world trails and not the groomed trails that are used by most dealer off road events. I've also spent lots of time on trails on both sides of the Mississippi and even some in South America. To call the RRS an off road vehicle is a joke and even Land Rover admits it. Just take a look at the North American ad campaign.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='242501' date='Feb 18 2006, 07:06 PM
The 2006 Range Rover is powered by V8 engines developed by Jaguar. This is a change from the 2003-2005 that used the BMW V8 like my 545 has. The new engines are lighter, cleaner, more powerful, more efficient and overall more tractable than their BMW-sourced predecessors.
Ah... didn't know that about the 2006. But the previous engine was more like what was found in the E39 540i and E53 4.4L X5 before it got the minor HP boost.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='242501' date='Feb 18 2006, 07:06 PM
The 2006 Range Rover is powered by V8 engines developed by Jaguar. This is a change from the 2003-2005 that used the BMW V8 like my 545 has. The new engines are lighter, cleaner, more powerful, more efficient and overall more tractable than their BMW-sourced predecessors.
Yup, you've got it right. From 06 and on the RR has the same 4.4L jag engine and the SC engine is the same engine that is in the RRS. Fuuny thing is that the RRS is acutally heavier than the bigger RR. This is because it has a much more complicated frame and chasis. They also moved off the old BMW nav system too
Old 02-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by adamrogers' post='235648' date='Feb 6 2006, 04:07 PM
I know.. sounds like a very strange comparison. I've ordered my 550i already but I've always had a place in my heart for SUVs.

BMW 550i vs Range Rover Sport HSE. Both are about the same $$$. Actually, the RRS ends up being a bit less.

I know this is kind of a strange comparison but I've always loved SUVs.

I have about a 70 mile (all highway) round-trip commute to work so road noise at high speeds and comfort are very important to me. For that reason, I just assumed a car was more practical than an SUV.

Besides the obvious (BMW has better gas mileage and is faster), what would you say about overall comfort and feel of the RRS vs. a BMW 5-series?

Buddy go for the Range Rover Sport. The guy who operates the breakdown service has become a personal friend of my pal who bought one last May. As a matter of fact I met him at their childs christening last week. You work it out. Range Rover is even a bad word in the UK and has been since the 70's. Even with Ford taking it over from BMW it still means unreliable!!! Look at the forums and see what others say about them
Old 02-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='242910' date='Feb 19 2006, 04:20 PM
Buddy go for the Range Rover Sport. The guy who operates the breakdown service has become a personal friend of my pal who bought one last May. As a matter of fact I met him at their childs christening last week. You work it out. Range Rover is even a bad word in the UK and has been since the 70's. Even with Ford taking it over from BMW it still means unreliable!!! Look at the forums and see what others say about them
I respectfully disagree. Take a look at this forum and count the number of problems discussed. It doesn't mean the E60 is not reliable.

My real world experience with the Range Rover is that it is a great car. Anyone that can tolerate owning a BMW, which has had a spotty reliability record by and large for some time, can handle a Range Rover.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

I disagree there is a big difference between a software problem on a 5 series and steering racks breaking on a RRS going at 60mph.

Anyway I hope you do go for one and then (If your honest) you can tell us what a great buy it was?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

I've had no mechanical problems with my RRS at 8400 miles. Thats more than I can say for my old e60
Old 03-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 750Li;CLK63 Black Series (Retired);

In my honest opinion...
1) 550i would be a better choice in terms of resale value. (from KB
2) As many mentioned, better gas mileage with the 550i.
3) Personally RRS looks a bit better and has a bit more bling to it.
4) In terms of cost of ownership, both offer free maintenance.
5) You'd probably get a better deal when buying RRS than a 550i, at least for me it was.
6) In conclusion, it all boils down to whether you drive for the sake of driving or for the sake of looks and practicality, at least in this case.

++I'm personally looking to get a new SUV, but not the RRS. I'm thinking about the audi Q7.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

During my recent visit to LA the place was crawling with RR and with a fair showing of RRS given the short time its been out. Clearly Californians dont have the UK hang ups about Land Rover British contributers have.
Oh and a colleague was just on a shoot in Spain where he said the RRS did some pretty impressive off road antics.
When BMW sold Land Rover it kept a couple of high profile British engineers for its own X series car developments so Land Rover must have been doing something right. Fact is it realised the cars would compete against each other and it was better off getting a wad of cash from Ford.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

both are BMW engines, but E60 got the style.

Quick Reply: Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport