The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently drove a RRS. It handled very well for an SUV, but there was no comparison to a 550i. Plus, the additional fuel cost and depreciation will likely make the RRS more expensive over time.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:27 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Hate to decribe a British bullt car as crap but................................

Range Rover is a prime example I why the British car inducstry is now centered around Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

It does not work, it is 5 years behind the times on technology it's dealer network is poor.

There is no comparison. If the decision is SUV or Sedan use the X5 as your comparitor not the Range Rover.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

If this helps, I bought a loaded to the gunnels '05 BMW 4.4i, and that was after testing the RRS. So in that head to head, the X5 4.4i won.

I had the X5 4.4i for exactly 4 months before moving up to my current '05 545i. I biought the X5 becuase I thought it would be more comfortable for my 1 hour each way commute, and more practical in terms of space. I was wrong.

My reasons for trading in the X5 4.4 for the 545i:

-SUV's, even the best, feel top-heavy in turns, slurp gas like Barry Bonds slurps steroids, offer little advantage in terms of cargo space (with rear-split fold down seats in a 5er), and just don't FEEL as fun to drive and nimble as a 5er.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

I've owned 3 Discos and currently own a Freelander, therefore I think I've earned the right to be complimentary or critical of LR products

Do you like a quality vehicle?
Do you like reliability?
Do you like cutting edge technology that's been well developed and thoroughy tested?
Do you like a feeling of pride of ownership even when the dealer gloss has worn off?

If so, don't even think about buying the Range Rover There's very little that's come out of LandRover at Solihull (Birmingham, England) that stands up to it's intended purpose in the way that LRs of old did. Recently I had a conversation with a local guy who'd swapped from an X5 to a RRS - his conclusion was "it's alright, but the build is not in the same league as the X5".

This is of course my personal opinion, but check out reliability surveys for a published opinion? Also enquire how much an extended warranty would cost, to get an idea of LRs confidence in their own product!

Just my two-penneth!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

Bobbin-Man,
Just curious, but if they are so bad, why do you keep buying them?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

The RRS on air suspension rides a LOT better than the 5. If you are after performance get the 5 or dig in a little deeper for RRS S/C.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:37 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Two very different types of vehicles and with all due respect the question you pose is somewhat pointless. I guess the first question should be do you want an SUV or a 4 door saloon ? Only you can answer that one.

If its an SUV, I would personally go for the RRS over all of the others including the X5 (about to be replaced and not nearly as prestigious) and Cayenne. The RRS looks and smells like a million $'s and has an absolutely gorgeous interior.

In terms of four door saloons the E60 pretty much thrashes all of the competition.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:55 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Have a look here
http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/man_inde...128339010848601

This is the site of the largest after market warranty company in the UK.

It rates each manufacturer on reliabiity based on actual claims made by it's polcy holders.

It includes repair costs, time off road etc.

'average' reliability is 112.
BMW scores 85.95 Land Rover 185.42. (lower scores are better)

If you buy a Range Rover buy a good pair of walking shoes at the same time.............you will need them !
Old 02-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='235732' date='Feb 6 2006, 10:55 AM
Have a look here
http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/man_inde...128339010848601

This is the site of the largest after market warranty company in the UK.

It rates each manufacturer on reliabiity based on actual claims made by it's polcy holders.

It includes repair costs, time off road etc.

'average' reliability is 112.
BMW scores 85.95 Land Rover 185.42. (lower scores are better)

If you buy a Range Rover buy a good pair of walking shoes at the same time.............you will need them !
A lot of that is skewed due to the reliability of the older models - the newer ones are apparently showing much better scores on warranty issues and reliability.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by adamrogers' post='235648' date='Feb 6 2006, 11:07 AM
I know.. sounds like a very strange comparison. I've ordered my 550i already but I've always had a place in my heart for SUVs.

BMW 550i vs Range Rover Sport HSE. Both are about the same $$$. Actually, the RRS ends up being a bit less.

I know this is kind of a strange comparison but I've always loved SUVs.

I have about a 70 mile (all highway) round-trip commute to work so road noise at high speeds and comfort are very important to me. For that reason, I just assumed a car was more practical than an SUV.

Besides the obvious (BMW has better gas mileage and is faster), what would you say about overall comfort and feel of the RRS vs. a BMW 5-series?
Have you owned a SUV before? If you haven't, but you are fascinated with the idea of owning a SUV, go ahead and get one. Get it outta your system. You never know if you'll like it unless you try it. The RRS is a pretty nice SUV too.

(I had a 3 Series, then had an SUV... I got the SUV disease outta my system. Now I'm back in a Bimmer. I'm glad I tried an SUV, even though I now realize its not for me)

Quick Reply: Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport