The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

STS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if money is not an object, plain and simple, get a new m5 !
Old 03-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Mar 3 2005, 12:05 AM
if money is not an object, plain and simple, get a new m5 !
[snapback]96275[/snapback]
M6.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

I think I can give you a good perspective here. I've driven Audi Quattro cars for 20 years, starting with a Coupe Quattro in 1986. Last year I bought my first BMW, and I won't go back to Audi unless I decide to get a dedicated 'winter' car. Here is my reasoning:

First of all, I love to drive. For me, a car is something I can drive first, and everything else second. Audi's are great cars, handle wonderfully, and have without a doubt the best AWD ever developed. There is no better car that you can drive in the snow or wet, and being from a cold weather climate, I have appreciated their bad-weather handling many, many times.

But let's look at a BMW. It is just plain more fun to drive than the Audi, unless there is snow on the road. RWD, perfect balance, steering, suspension, engine, combined with incredible refinement makes the BMW the best drivers sedan on the planet. There just is no contest between driving an Audi, and a BMW.

So I really thought about it: how many times am I actually driving in the snow or ice? If I add all the days up each winter that there is actually snow on the road, it totals to maybe a few weeks driving time each year.

So do I want to drive a car that's 'not quite a BMW' for 50 weeks out of the year so that I can have the best car on those 2 weeks I need AWD? why would I want to lug around an extra 300 lbs of AWD stuff and an engine stuck out in front of the front axle if I don't need to? For me, 50 weeks of driving the best handling car I can buy is worth sacrificing during the 14 or so days that there is snow on the road. I do put on a set of snow tires, which is mandatory IMO when you're running high performance tires in the summer.

Now, if there was snow on the road 3 months out of the year then I might reconsider. But if they plow the roads in your section of PA, I would get the BMW and suffer through a few days of snow for the many more days of driving enjoyment you'll get.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 540i, Black on Black, Premium Stereo, NAV, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Heated Steering Wheel

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Mar 2 2005, 07:45 PM
I think I can give you a good perspective here.? I've driven Audi Quattro cars for 20 years, starting with a Coupe Quattro in 1986.? Last year I bought my first BMW, and I won't go back to Audi unless I decide to get a dedicated 'winter' car.? Here is my reasoning:

First of all, I love to drive.? For me, a car is something I can drive first, and everything else second.? Audi's are great cars, handle wonderfully, and have without a doubt the best AWD ever developed.? There is no better car that you can drive in the snow or wet, and being from a cold weather climate, I have appreciated their bad-weather handling many, many times.

But let's look at a BMW.? It is just plain more fun to drive than the Audi, unless there is snow on the road.? RWD, perfect balance, steering, suspension, engine, combined with incredible refinement makes the BMW the best drivers sedan on the planet.? There just is no contest between driving an Audi, and a BMW.

So I really thought about it: how many times am I actually driving in the snow or ice?? If I add all the days up each winter that there is actually snow on the road, it totals to maybe a few weeks driving time each year.?

So do I want to drive a car that's 'not quite a BMW' for 50 weeks out of the year so that I can have the best car on those 2 weeks I need AWD?? why would I want to lug around an extra 300 lbs of AWD stuff and an engine stuck out in front of the front axle if I don't need to?? For me, 50 weeks of driving the best handling car I can buy is worth sacrificing during the 14 or so days that there is snow on the road.? I do put on a set of snow tires, which is mandatory IMO when you're running high performance tires in the summer.

Now, if there was snow on the road 3 months out of the year then I might reconsider.? But if they plow the roads in your section of PA, I would get the BMW and suffer through a few days of snow for the many more days of driving enjoyment you'll get.
[snapback]96337[/snapback]
Uncle! Great post...you guys are right.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:32 PM
Good thing money's not an object, since that STS will be worth $7,000.00 in three years.? ?

That's my main problem with American luxury cars.? ? I love to rent them, but would NEVER buy a brand new one.
[snapback]96126[/snapback]

That is probably the best line anyone can say to a STS lover. American cars have no residual value AT ALL. Cadillacs new direction is horrible, everything has STS headlights. When they change the headlights on the Escalade to resemble the STS they will hurt there highest selling vehicle. Hopefully they are smart with redesigning their SUV...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:01 AM
JDN
Contributors

Get a copy of AutoWeek for March 7. The compared the 320 hp STS to the 325 545i manual. They are still hung up on iDrive, but the nod definitely went to the 545. ". . . the BMW still has our hearts."

"BMW has the lead underhood with an engine that adjusts itself so perfectly for every throttle postiion and load that it finds power where other engines have yet to look."
Old 03-03-2005, 03:49 PM

2005 Pontiac GTO with the new LS2 from the new Corvette, i think we're all in trouble! :'(
Old 03-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 3 2005, 07:49 PM
2005 Pontiac GTO with the new LS2 from the new Corvette, i think we're all in trouble! :'(
[snapback]96847[/snapback]

Its a good thing your signed on as a guest with a comment like that...
Old 03-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by xexyus' date='Mar 4 2005, 10:22 PM
[quote name='Guest' date='Mar 3 2005, 07:49 PM']2005 Pontiac GTO with the new LS2 from the new Corvette, i think we're all in trouble! :'(
[snapback]96847[/snapback]

Its a good thing your signed on as a guest with a comment like that...
[snapback]97289[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think it's time for you to use your signature...
Old 03-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I almost bought a 1SG STS vs. my 545i. I am even a GM family which lets me get the car for way less than invoice. I test drove the Caddy one Sunday when it was raining here in Southern California. At an intersection turning left, I put too much on the throdle and did a 180 in the car. I was very dissabpointed that the traction control system in the Caddy, didn't prevent it from doing a 180. It scared the Sh*t out of me seing a curb on the wrong side of the car and 65K out the door. After that drive, I took it back to the dealer and said no thanks.

I don't know what I was thinking. My perimeters for a car was a sports sedan that can hold a corner. If I was looking for a really fast cruiser that borders on the line of the "ultimate sports sedan" the next best thing is the STS.

Quick Reply: STS