The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

STS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 540i, Black on Black, Premium Stereo, NAV, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Heated Steering Wheel

As I have posted before, I currently drive an '02 540 that comes off of lease in late May. I have driven just about everything...A6, A8, RL, LS, 545, etc. Without a doubt, the 545 was my overall favorite especially because it was the most fun to drive. However, I live in a cold weather state and the AWD is very tempting. I also have to have V8 (need that torque!), but the A6 just doesn't do it for me.

A buddy of mine picked up a Black '05 STS with AWD drive last week (he also has a 330xi). Based on his urging, I decided to go test drive the STS since there is a dealer 10 mins from me...my thought was just to eliminate it from consideration. While it certainly does not handle like the 545, it surprised the heck out me in terms of overall performance, gadgets, fit and finish, etc. I did not expect anything like that from a Cadillac. I have to admit, while both the 5 series and the STS have been ridiculed in some circles I have really grown th like the look of the 5 and the chiseled look of the STS especially in dark colors works for me too...I realize this is just personal opinion.

My choices are basically

1) extend my lease 6 months (BMW has agreed) and go with the new '06 "545" and suck it up in the snowy Pa. winter months

2) Go with the AWD Caddy...get the 320 horses and the AWD in a package that I personally like better than the A6 but not as well as 545

3) Go with the A8...get great luxury, AWD but give up the sportier feel of the 545 and even the STS

I am strongly considering the STS...am I nuts? Money is not an object.

I love this forum...Let 'er rip!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Members

money is no object.... well, wait for the new S65 ///AMG....

Originally Posted by PSULion' date='Mar 2 2005, 12:41 PM
As I have posted before, I currently drive an '02 540 that comes off of lease in late May.? I have driven just about everything...A6, A8, RL, LS, 545, etc.? Without a doubt, the 545 was my overall favorite especially because it was the most fun to drive.? However, I live in a cold weather state and the AWD is very tempting.? I also have to have V8 (need that torque!),? but the A6 just doesn't do it for me.

A buddy of mine picked up a Black '05 STS with AWD drive last week (he also has a 330xi).? Based on his urging, I decided to go test drive the STS since there is a dealer 10 mins from me...my thought was just to eliminate it from consideration.? While it certainly does not handle like the 545, it surprised the heck out me in terms of overall performance, gadgets, fit and finish, etc.? I did not expect anything like that from a Cadillac.? I have to admit, while both the 5 series and the STS have been ridiculed in some circles I have really grown th like the look of the 5 and the chiseled look of the STS especially in dark colors works for me too...I realize this is just personal opinion.

My choices are basically

1) extend my lease 6 months (BMW has agreed) and go with the new '06 "545" and suck it up in the snowy Pa. winter months

2) Go with the AWD Caddy...get the 320 horses and the AWD in a package that I personally like better than the A6 but not as well as 545

3) Go with the A8...get great luxury, AWD but give up the sportier feel of the 545 and even the STS

I love this forum...Let 'er rip!
[snapback]96065[/snapback]
Old 03-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Have you tried winter tiers on your 540? I leased a 530 and did not want to spend the money on a second set of tires and wheels. It was horrible in the snow (I suspect my snow conditions in NY are very simialr to yours). When the lease was up I leased a 545 w/ sport. I spent about $1200 on a set of winter wheels and tires. Night and day - I have had no problems at all this winter. And in about 2 weeks I can go back to the summer/sport set up.

I think the 545 with winter wheels is preferable to an Audi or Caddy with AWD, for all the reaasons discussed here all the time.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

Good thing money's not an object, since that STS will be worth $7,000.00 in three years.

That's my main problem with American luxury cars. I love to rent them, but would NEVER buy a brand new one.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Welcome to life off the ledge, PSU.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

I would be very concerned that the Caddy will be rattling bucket of bolts in three years in addition to it's lower resale value. And I concur on the winter tire solution - my car is 100% easier to drive with a good set of snows.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by PSULion' date='Mar 2 2005, 06:41 PM
[snapback]96065[/snapback]
If you really consider the STS... you are nuts.

NOTHING drives like a BMW!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

If money is no object, (mobbed up) JK then get a HUMMER H1 and a 550i!

If you like room don't get the Audi A8 get a 750i!

If you do get the STS (noooooooooooooooo) get the STS-v.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Even if money was a problem, I'd still get the BMW.....

Anyway, my 545i is on a winter tire setup, we've had really cold and snowy
weather > no problems with normal driving.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:24 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Take a look at posts on here about people having near accidents and read how they avoided them with the 545's/530's prowess. To me, that would be the deciding factor if I was as close to the edge as you. You will be safer in tne bimmer, no doubt about it. As you're looking and deciding about cars, this factor may not be too visible to you in your evaluations, but it is a very real difference.

I've experienced this myself, fortunately not all the time. Think back on your own experiences. Whenever I am in any kind of emergency situation, the 5-series is what I want to be driving. I'm convinced that nothing else on the planet would match it.

Good luck,

Sam

Quick Reply: STS