The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

ML63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by SKK' post='227746' date='Jan 22 2006, 06:30 AM
I guess people who buy the ML63 or Porsche Cayenne Turbo etc can afford the fuel that goes with it.

Mercedes, Porsche etc make powerful SUV's as people want them. After all they are in it for a profit.

I understand your point around the better handling characteristics, speed etc of a car over an SUV but whats wrong with an SUV buyer wanting a super fast version ?
there is nothing "wrong" if a person wants a super fast SUV........... it is just that it is OBVIOUSLY only for a show-off reason as there is no practical use of 400HP in car with this size and chassis......
I mostly see Cayenes Turbo parked or stuck in the very downtown traffic............ I;m afraid those days it is an EGO thing........
Old 01-22-2006, 02:51 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='227748
I guess people who buy the ML63 or Porsche Cayenne Turbo etc can afford the fuel that goes with it.

Mercedes, Porsche etc make powerful SUV's as people want them. After all they are in it for a profit.

I understand your point around the better handling characteristics, speed etc of a car over an SUV but whats wrong with an SUV buyer wanting a super fast version ?
there is nothing "wrong" if a person wants a super fast SUV........... it is just that it is OBVIOUSLY only for a show-off reason as there is no practical use of 400HP in car with this size and chassis......
I mostly see Cayenes Turbo parked or stuck in the very downtown traffic............ I;m afraid those days it is an EGO thing........
[/quote]

Peter I understand your point however the same applies to the cars like the M5. Around London they too are mostly stuck in traffic. I bet hardly any M5 buyers use them to more than 50% of their potential - traffic, speed cameras, speed limits all take care of that. So whats the point of an M5 when you cant really use it properly ? Hardly anyone takes it to a track so is it also an ego thing ? In everyday use something like a 540i or even lower is fast enough.

Its like most Ferrari drivers. They go around posing in town - never use their cars properly, do about 2000 miles a year and mostly keep them locked up in a garage. Pointless ?

Again its all about preferences.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

SKK you are right........ and that applies mostly to US market as well...no offense to anybody. we all just know how the traffic and cops situation is over there....so a judgement that M5 is safe because it allows you take over a truck??? no comment..... that was the most stupid US M5 promo video I ever saw.......the car is about something else.....
oh well if you have the money why not...... I'm not gona envy here.

I've also read somewhere that most of the M5 owners in Europe are either those who travel across Europe's higway frequently for busines and want a fast car but quiet look or the others are simply car enthusiats.

you're right I would say it is max 20% of exotic car owners ever go for a race track or even know how to ride their car's full potential....... and I don't mean to drag race on stop lights....

yeah but what ever, jsut my oppinion, whoever buys whatever wants. no problem here
Old 01-22-2006, 03:51 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='227766' date='Jan 22 2006, 12:34 PM
SKK you are right........ and that applies mostly to US market as well...no offense to anybody. we all just know how the traffic and cops situation is over there....so a judgement that M5 is safe because it allows you take over a truck??? no comment..... the car is about something else.....
oh well if you have the money why not...... I'm not gona envy here.

you're right I would say it is max 20% of exotic car owners ever go for a race track or even know how to ride their car's full potential....... and I don't mean to drag race on stop lights....

yeah but what ever, jsut my oppinion, whoever buys whatever wants. no problem here
It is mostly about the money. If your rich you buy the top of the range model regardless - I mean you wouldnt be seen dead in a base ML would you ?

Also I bet I could keep up quite easily in London and the suburbs (and motorways) with an M5 or whatever in my 530i. In fact with something like a hot hot hatch I could probably beat it

I am an average driver. In my opinion I could probably drive something like a Honda Civic Type R of a Golf R32 faster round some windy small country lanes than I could an M5. Maybe I am wrong but that's what I feel. The best car I have ever owned was a MK2 Golf GTI 16v or maybe my Corrado. Thats was years and years ago but I still remember them fondly

Most people buy cars with 500hp or whatever for the pose value. They have to buy top of the range because it feels good. Dont get me wrong, an M5 is a highly desirable vehicle but you simply cannot use the kind of power it offers in day to day driving. Same applies to the ML63.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Contributors

VW Corrado was a beast and way ahead its time.... and there was this VW Shirrocco as well I think
Old 01-22-2006, 04:27 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='227774' date='Jan 22 2006, 12:57 PM
VW Corrado was a beast and way ahead its time.... and there was this VW Shirrocco as well I think
Yup there was. I have owned numerous cars since but nothing beat the fun I had thrashing the shit out of the Golf and Corrado. Straight out of University and landed my first job - bought the Golf and 18 months later traded in for the Corrado. I worked in Bucks which has a number of pretty empty country lanes. Other colleagues on the graduate programme also had "hot cars" including a 205 1.9GTI. We used to race all the time. It was hoot .

I may have better cars now and more money but they arent as much fun. I'm only 34 now so not ancient but maybe its an age thing. Even an M3 didnt bring those times back....
Old 01-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='227728
I've driven a cayenne turbo and its an amazing feat of engineering- all that mass and then all that motion together. The roads where some of us live are worse than those in many war zones so yes an SUV makes a perfect sense for 100 reasons. But then why not a fast one? I dont want to be taking 10+ seconds to get to 100km/h. I drive fast and I want a fast car
Let me get it right...u want to get to 100 in les then 10 sec on a terrain that's worse that a war zone. Where do u want to go that fast? On a terrain like that? Or if the terrain is not so worse as u say, but seriously covered in potholes and stuff why would you want to ruin ur car even ur suv by destroing it on those surfaces. As far as i know if the terrain is that BAD u need to go in decent speeds or low speed to actually pass the problem. U don't need for that more than 400bhp. Hell even 300 in more than enough.
To give u another example as to speed and fast in suv: when i was younger i had my first car a skoda fabia 1.4 16v 101bhp. 0-100 in about 10.9 sec. I raced on a highway a ml 320. Although the suv was faster than me from 0-100 (i assume around 8.9 sec for suv) it didn't manage to pass me. I was doing at max 210km/h (yes u heard it right. from a 1.4) with the neaddle on the red zone. So my point is, you can give it a milion hp, if the chassie, or the body can't take it then it's pointless. Talking about aerodinamics and weight.

I dunno i really don't see the point of that regardless of what u say. I don't think there will be many owners that will thunder their ml 63 amg on lower profile amg wheels through terrains worse than a war zone...minding about 0-100time. Also as i stated before i don't see the performance of that car on straight good roads (for the money your paying for it). Also the fuel consumption. A guy with a porsche cayenne told me he was fueling his car by 200 euros a week since he drives it more in bucharest. That's 9600euros/year. Only the fueeel...unbealivable
[/quote]

good stuff ! but he was exxagerating slightly, our roads are definitely better than yours in bucharest, and a testament to this is the fact that ive hit the limiter (260km/h on the m3) in the center of the capital ,although that was a f***ing scary thing to do. Many people in bulgaria are fascinated by SUVs and we have a whole plethora of them, so it is entrenched in the way of thinking... i.e. a big and safe and fast car.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='227800
Originally Posted by sapkan' post='227685' date='Jan 22 2006, 01:57 AM
I've driven a cayenne turbo and its an amazing feat of engineering- all that mass and then all that motion together. The roads where some of us live are worse than those in many war zones so yes an SUV makes a perfect sense for 100 reasons. But then why not a fast one? I dont want to be taking 10+ seconds to get to 100km/h. I drive fast and I want a fast car
Let me get it right...u want to get to 100 in les then 10 sec on a terrain that's worse that a war zone. Where do u want to go that fast? On a terrain like that? Or if the terrain is not so worse as u say, but seriously covered in potholes and stuff why would you want to ruin ur car even ur suv by destroing it on those surfaces. As far as i know if the terrain is that BAD u need to go in decent speeds or low speed to actually pass the problem. U don't need for that more than 400bhp. Hell even 300 in more than enough.
To give u another example as to speed and fast in suv: when i was younger i had my first car a skoda fabia 1.4 16v 101bhp. 0-100 in about 10.9 sec. I raced on a highway a ml 320. Although the suv was faster than me from 0-100 (i assume around 8.9 sec for suv) it didn't manage to pass me. I was doing at max 210km/h (yes u heard it right. from a 1.4) with the neaddle on the red zone. So my point is, you can give it a milion hp, if the chassie, or the body can't take it then it's pointless. Talking about aerodinamics and weight.

I dunno i really don't see the point of that regardless of what u say. I don't think there will be many owners that will thunder their ml 63 amg on lower profile amg wheels through terrains worse than a war zone...minding about 0-100time. Also as i stated before i don't see the performance of that car on straight good roads (for the money your paying for it). Also the fuel consumption. A guy with a porsche cayenne told me he was fueling his car by 200 euros a week since he drives it more in bucharest. That's 9600euros/year. Only the fueeel...unbealivable
good stuff ! but he was exxagerating slightly, our roads are definitely better than yours in bucharest, and a testament to this is the fact that ive hit the limiter (260km/h on the m3) in the center of the capital ,although that was a f***ing scary thing to do. Many people in bulgaria are fascinated by SUVs and we have a whole plethora of them, so it is entrenched in the way of thinking... i.e. a big and safe and fast car.
[/quote]
I understand what u mean...about the roads i can't comment. Never been in ur country to post a comment. We have very poor roads, and there are few that are quite good for flooring it. From what i've heard from my other friends that went to turkey or greece they told me that the roads are even worse. Of course they didn't use the city roads...just the "highways". I say again...can't trully comment since i've never been.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

Originally Posted by SKK' post='227751

Peter I understand your point however the same applies to the cars like the M5. Around London they too are mostly stuck in traffic. I bet hardly any M5 buyers use them to more than 50% of their potential - traffic, speed cameras, speed limits all take care of that. So whats the point of an M5 when you cant really use it properly ? Hardly anyone takes it to a track so is it also an ego thing ? In everyday use something like a 540i or even lower is fast enough.

Its like most Ferrari drivers. They go around posing in town - never use their cars properly, do about 2000 miles a year and mostly keep them locked up in a garage. Pointless ?

[/quote]

I wanted to get some info on this thread on a particular model not whether someone approves of powerful SUVs.

p.s. Dad wants a SUV + I would hate to see him gettin' his ass kicked by a fabia 1.4 hence 400-500hp.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SKK' post='227751

[/quote]

Totally disagree!

I went to German autobahn 5 times last year. There I used THE FULL POTENTIAL of the M5 many many times.

I also went to race track both in Sweden and N?rburgring.

I know there are people buying the M5 just to POSE. I hate them!!!!! They destroy the M image :thumbsdown:

In a sport sedan like the M5 you can actually USE the 500 hp AND be safe! Good brakes, handling etc.

I do not hate SUV?s BUT I still think that a SUV with 500 hp is stupid. Why spend all that money on a 500 hp car(?) and not being able to use it fully ( the 500 hp, that is ). You just burn fuel for no good purpose.

That good purpose is ofcourse to accelerate and drive as fast as possible. That?s why I spend a he** of alot of money on a car like this. BTW, it works excellent to drive the family, cruise along in town and go shopping in it too

Quick Reply: ML63 AMG