The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

ML63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Just seems kind of pointless to trash something that none of us have driven, on the basis that there's no "point" to 500+ hp in an SUV. We all get the point re physics, CG and driving dynamics, if something like the ML63 isn't for you then that's fine, it just seems kind of redundant to trash it on the grounds that a) it's an MB so it must by definition handle like a dog and b) because it has too much power. At this level of car, M5 included, it's all about what you want out of a car and some people will want something like this.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='226500' date='Jan 19 2006, 11:43 AM
Just seems kind of pointless to trash something that none of us have driven, on the basis that there's no "point" to 500+ hp in an SUV. We all get the point re physics, CG and driving dynamics, if something like the ML63 isn't for you then that's fine, it just seems kind of redundant to trash it on the grounds that a) it's an MB so it must by definition handle like a dog and b) because it has too much power. At this level of car, M5 included, it's all about what you want out of a car and some people will want something like this.
Why?

and please don't tell me u'll heav sabine or a proffesional racing driver choosing an ml63 amg for it's tracking capabilities! or whatever driving dynamics it offers. So if it's not for driving real hard on the bends, not for driving "real hard" on the straights (at this price u'll find better cars for straight line acceleration), and for sure not for climbing rocky mountains or whatever...tell me what's it's puprose besides offering the protection of a tank and the mileage of one...Why? That's what i don't understand....is it the height thingie that i heard some suv owner like to brag about? "Ohhh it's so nice when u see everyone down there!"
Old 01-19-2006, 10:50 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='226507
Why?

and please don't tell me u'll heav sabine or a proffesional racing driver choosing an ml63 amg for it's tracking capabilities! or whatever driving dynamics it offers. So if it's not for driving real hard on the bends, not for driving "real hard" on the straights (at this price u'll find better cars for straight line acceleration), and for sure not for climbing rocky mountains or whatever...tell me what's it's puprose besides offering the protection of a tank and the mileage of one...Why? That's what i don't understand....is it the height thingie that i heard some suv owner like to brag about? "Ohhh it's so nice when u see everyone down there!"
[/quote]

Bettermakeway - I think you need to understand that people have different preferences. You might not like an SUV but lots of people clearly do. You don't have to buy one, but at least learn to live with the fact that other people derive satisfaction from owning them.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SKK' post='226590
Originally Posted by swajames' post='226500' date='Jan 19 2006, 11:43 AM
Why?

Bettermakeway - I think you need to understand that people have different preferences. You might not like an SUV but lots of people clearly do. You don't have to buy one, but at least learn to live with the fact that other people derive satisfaction from owning them.
[/quote]
Don't get me wrong. I like them also. I have driven an X5 3.0d and a friend of mine has an ml 420cdi wich i found interesting (as in pulling power) before i bought my 535d. Both of them used thier car not once on rough road since one of them has a farm and the other works in real-estate business. It's ok by me since those cars were bought for their purpose...but hey those were suvs with decent perofrmances, decent fuel consum[tion and decent performances especially on rough terrain (once i even participated and found it unbealivable on hill climbs on agressive degrees and slippery surfaces). But i ask again what is the purpose of a car like the ml63 amg? For my justification regarding this car please read my earlier post.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='226618' date='Jan 19 2006, 03:52 PM
Don't get me wrong. I like them also. I have driven an X5 3.0d and a friend of mine has an ml 420cdi wich i found interesting (as in pulling power) before i bought my 535d. Both of them used thier car not once on rough road since one of them has a farm and the other works in real-estate business. It's ok by me since those cars were bought for their purpose...but hey those were suvs with decent perofrmances, decent fuel consum[tion and decent performances especially on rough terrain (once i even participated and found it unbealivable on hill climbs on agressive degrees and slippery surfaces). But i ask again what is the purpose of a car like the ml63 amg? For my justification regarding this car please read my earlier post.

I have nothing more to add.... I totaly agree with you BetterMakeWay...... SUV has its purpose and I love driving them.... but over400HP in a SUV is a total nonsence..... probably just a show-off
Old 01-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='227469

I have nothing more to add.... I totaly agree with you BetterMakeWay...... SUV has its purpose and I love driving them.... but over400HP in a SUV is a total nonsence..... probably just a show-off
[/quote]
Then we are 3 then!

I?d like a 4WD ( even a SUV = X5 ) in the snow here, but not with 500 hp :thumbsdown:
Old 01-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='225904
Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='225875' date='Jan 18 2006, 12:17 PM
don't tell me you are after that car????
Actually the new ML is a very nice vehicle - much better than it predecessor which was frankly very poor. When I drove the new ML I was quite impressed with it. I would rate it above the current X5, but hopefully the new X5 will slam the door shut again.
correct the new ML is way over the old one (what a piece of ....).
the new X5 will take over the ML.... and so what it has AMG engine if the car can't hanle it
[/quote]
Old 01-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

I've driven a cayenne turbo and its an amazing feat of engineering- all that mass and then all that motion together. The roads where some of us live are worse than those in many war zones so yes an SUV makes a perfect sense for 100 reasons. But then why not a fast one? I dont want to be taking 10+ seconds to get to 100km/h. I drive fast and I want a fast car
Old 01-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sapkan' post='227685' date='Jan 22 2006, 01:57 AM
I've driven a cayenne turbo and its an amazing feat of engineering- all that mass and then all that motion together. The roads where some of us live are worse than those in many war zones so yes an SUV makes a perfect sense for 100 reasons. But then why not a fast one? I dont want to be taking 10+ seconds to get to 100km/h. I drive fast and I want a fast car
Let me get it right...u want to get to 100 in les then 10 sec on a terrain that's worse that a war zone. Where do u want to go that fast? On a terrain like that? Or if the terrain is not so worse as u say, but seriously covered in potholes and stuff why would you want to ruin ur car even ur suv by destroing it on those surfaces. As far as i know if the terrain is that BAD u need to go in decent speeds or low speed to actually pass the problem. U don't need for that more than 400bhp. Hell even 300 in more than enough.
To give u another example as to speed and fast in suv: when i was younger i had my first car a skoda fabia 1.4 16v 101bhp. 0-100 in about 10.9 sec. I raced on a highway a ml 320. Although the suv was faster than me from 0-100 (i assume around 8.9 sec for suv) it didn't manage to pass me. I was doing at max 210km/h (yes u heard it right. from a 1.4) with the neaddle on the red zone. So my point is, you can give it a milion hp, if the chassie, or the body can't take it then it's pointless. Talking about aerodinamics and weight.

I dunno i really don't see the point of that regardless of what u say. I don't think there will be many owners that will thunder their ml 63 amg on lower profile amg wheels through terrains worse than a war zone...minding about 0-100time. Also as i stated before i don't see the performance of that car on straight good roads (for the money your paying for it). Also the fuel consumption. A guy with a porsche cayenne told me he was fueling his car by 200 euros a week since he drives it more in bucharest. That's 9600euros/year. Only the fueeel...unbealivable
Old 01-22-2006, 02:30 AM
SKK
Senior Members

I guess people who buy the ML63 or Porsche Cayenne Turbo etc can afford the fuel that goes with it.

Mercedes, Porsche etc make powerful SUV's as people want them. After all they are in it for a profit.

I understand your point around the better handling characteristics, speed etc of a car over an SUV but whats wrong with an SUV buyer wanting a super fast version ?

Quick Reply: ML63 AMG