The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Did I make a mistake? (05 Acura RL = WOW!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Dec 5 2004, 06:25 AM
[quote name='subterFUSE' date='Dec 4 2004, 09:32 PM']TL system.? 225 Watt, 8 speaker Panasonic DVD Audio, with DTS 5.1 digital processing.

DVD Audio is the next big advancement in audio recording quality.? It is 24 bit, vs. 16 bit for CDs.? The jump is basically as big as the jump when CD was invented.

Granted there are not many DVD audio recordings available yet...? but there will be more and more over time.

DTS is the same processing you will find in high-end home theater and movie theater sound systems.? It is similar to Dolby Digital....? however has been known for being better with music than Dolby Digital.

The Logic 7 does have more speakers, and more power....?? but that is not always the most important thing.

The TL system sounds better to me.....?? just my impression.
[snapback]64821[/snapback]
DVD-A I expect will die a betamax death - the masses don't care about it.

I also can't believe you compared HK to Bose while implying that panasonic was better. Just b/c something is at best buy doesn't mean it is bad. Yes - you won't find Macintosh amps there but you won't see them in a production car either.

Did you listen to the TL for long? Where you only listening to DVD-As at low volume? The stereo was fine but distorts easily at higher volumes. Hey fine - maybe there was something wrong with the car I was in....
[snapback]64921[/snapback]
[/quote]

my brother has the TL, and its nice, but its not that nice, and the sound is OK, not better than my HK in my E46...

I havent heard the RL yet, but I doubt highly that its clearer than the Logic 7...panasonic is nice, but not better than HK or BOSE --IMHO
Old 12-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I ordered a 545 (delivery in two weeks!), but I also looked at the Acura RL. I think it is a matter of personal taste. I found the RL somewhat boring, both in exterior and interior design. It is something my dad would love, it is the ideal middle-class close to retirement car, like a Mercedes S-class but half the price. It will be reliable, safe and pleasant to drive, like all other hondas and acuras.

The 545 excited me in a different way. It seemed more modern and youthful in design. It also looked more powerful.

Let's face it, owning a car is not only about personal enjoyment, but also on how others see us in our vehicles. You also have to ask yourself this, if you did own an Acura and you saw someone pull up in a BMW, would you have thought "what-if"?

Owning a car is always a difficult decision but you can never really go wrong, bucause in 2-5 years you can always get something different.

Buyer's remorse will always be there because there is no perfect car, and there will always be something new on the market. Really, owning a car is an emotional decision, because for basic transportation all you really need is an econo-box. I would suggest go with the car you love more, not which you think is a more practical decision (ie. more features for less money, etc). You will be happier in the long run.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I also can't believe you compared HK to Bose while implying that panasonic was better. Just b/c something is at best buy doesn't mean it is bad. Yes - you won't find Macintosh amps there but you won't see them in a production car either.

Did you listen to the TL for long? Where you only listening to DVD-As at low volume? The stereo was fine but distorts easily at higher volumes. Hey fine - maybe there was something wrong with the car I was in....

Panasonic does make some aftermarket that is good quality. Some of their headunits are pretty good. But, I'm not a big Panasonic fan either. For quality headunits, I always preferred Eclipse (for sound quality). Bose is absolute garbage, and Harmon Kardon is definitly better, but not a whole lot better. They are both companies which market better than they make audio gear. That's why people think they are so good.... it's just name recognition. How many people think Conrad Johnson makes great preamps? Not many, because they don't know about them.

Like I said before.... my viewpoint is a bit slanted because I've have experience with high-end audio for both home and car. I think that BMW is a high-end car, and I wish they would put in a truly high-end audio system. But, I understand that few people care about high-end audio enough to warrant BMW putting more expensive gear in their vehicles. It's more cost effective to put in a recognizable name brand like Harmon Kardon, which people think is excellent.

As for the Acura, I listened to it during a test drive. I turned the volume up pretty high. Didn't blast it, but it was running decent. I'm sure it distorts at higher volumes, though. All factory systems do. The Logic 7 distorts at high volume. I did not listen to DVD audio. Just the satellite radio, and one of my own CDs. Granted I did not listen to both cars back-to-back... But my impression was, after listening.... that I felt the Acura sounded better.

I obviously ended up getting the BMW, though.... but it was for other resons, obviously.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i - Premium Pkg, Logic 7 Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Xenon, NAV, HUD.

Well, I never had this problem because I only ever considered a BMW or Audi. Didn't even look at a Mercedes as they are way too plain for me.

The Acura RL? Not even in the same league as BMW to me. I admit that I never test drove it, but I certainly wouldn't pay 50k for an Acura. The prestige & class just are not there imho.

The BMW 530i handles like a charm, runs decent and my NAV and Heads Up Display are sweet. Bluetooth works great too. The only feature I would really want on the BMW is the intelligent key like that on the new 7-series.

-Nazz
Old 12-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i: Mystic Blue, Auburn Dakota leather Premium and Winter Package, Xenons

Overall the BMW has a ride of its own, driving at high RPM's giving you that extra jist you need, and the Acura wont give you that. Yes it may give you everything for the Dollar although a BMW will always be a BMW while a Acura will stand behind...although dont get me wrong it is a solid car for the price and options existed in it but a BMW is BM W
Old 12-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, Jerzguju !
Old 12-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, jerzguju !
Old 12-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

And that's why I bought the 545i. Having owned my 545i SMG for a month now, I can easily say it is the finest automobile I've ever owned.

Before this, my 1994 Acura Legend LS 2 door was my favorite car I ever had.

All I was saying was.... I wish BMW would install a better stereo. I want to change out the OEM system.... but I'm afraid to disassemble a nearly $70,000 car.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Dec 5 2004, 04:01 PM
Bose is absolute garbage, and Harmon Kardon is definitly better, but not a whole lot better.? They are both companies which market better than they make audio gear.? That's why people think they are so good....? it's just name recognition.?
[snapback]65169[/snapback]
I agree. Go ahead and start on your system already. I'm waiting on someone to post a DIY for me to follow.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:36 AM
Contributors

I have no plans to alter the audio system in my 545.

For me, with audio.... it's either all or nothing. Either I change out the whole thing, or I just live with it.

I'm just not going to risk tearing up an expensive BMW. I'm able to design and wire a system well on my own, but I just don't trust myself taking apart the car. Taking apart my old Acura was one thing.... taking apart a new BMW, that's another.

Besides, I think that there is too much risk of problems with the electrical system of the car if I add the additonal current load of amplifiers. In the past I've used Deep Cycle batteries and capacitors to suplement the power, but even with all that you still put a strain on the car. With a touchy piece of electrical gear like the iDrive, I just see the potential for serious problems.