The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Cupholders - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vnod' post='201081
I have two in my car and use them all the time we drive normally 2000-4000kms one trip, so you GET thirsty, mine are still ok, never had a problem with them...
My only problem on trips is drinking too much and having to stop too often. And, its not because I am one of the old dudes. So, no comments along these lines allowed. Well, OK, go ahead if you want.
[/quote]

Plus you live in a desert, they hand out water all over the place. I stopped at a hotel to ask for directions from the valet and he gave all four people in my car a bottle of water.

I was at a car show two weeks ago and I was amazed at the Saab cupholders. I thought the BMW ones were over engineered...

Here is the description from the web site.
Retractable Cup holders
A "butterfly" cup holder that unfolds from the instrument panel and one twin cup holder in the rear seat. There is also a cup holder in front of the driver's armrest under a lid.
Attached Thumbnails Cupholders - Why?-93_conv_cup.jpg  
Old 11-20-2005, 04:54 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Yepp, Saab has a thing for strange cupholders. Here is how it works on my Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Cupholders - Why?-93_conv_cup_1_.jpg
Old 11-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Member545' post='201198
Originally Posted by ats77' post='200931' date='Nov 20 2005, 05:43 AM
I have two in my car and use them all the time we drive normally 2000-4000kms one trip, so you GET thirsty, mine are still ok, never had a problem with them...
My only problem on trips is drinking too much and having to stop too often. And, its not because I am one of the old dudes. So, no comments along these lines allowed. Well, OK, go ahead if you want.
Plus you live in a desert, they hand out water all over the place. I stopped at a hotel to ask for directions from the valet and he gave all four people in my car a bottle of water.

I was at a car show two weeks ago and I was amazed at the Saab cupholders. I thought the BMW ones were over engineered...

Here is the description from the web site.
Retractable Cup holders
A "butterfly" cup holder that unfolds from the instrument panel and one twin cup holder in the rear seat. There is also a cup holder in front of the driver's armrest under a lid.
[/quote]Yes, a lot of water gets handed out in the desert.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 525 Sapphire Black

Okay, I asked the question so thought I would test out the cupholders. I took a bottle of water with me this morning when I left for work, put it in the holder and it immediately gave me the sh#ts because the sunlight was "glimmering" at me through the bottle so I put it between my legs hehe. I did have a few sips while driving along the freeway but had already had a coffee and some water before leaving home so didn't really see the need even if I drove 800 kilometeres I'd still put the bottle 'down there' as then it's right at hand, not very civilized I know.

It might be a cultural thing - when on long drives as a kid Mum and Dad would buy us bottled drinks with a lid and we were cautioned "don't spill it!" and we had never even heard of a drive-through so there was no chance of coffee being drunk - mind you, many an empty stubbie was hurled out the window into the bush so doubt is cast upon my parents' guidance!

So I guess this mindset has just stuck with me. Coffee for me is something drank around the breakfast table to wake me up but if I were still drowsy enough to need more I wouldn't get behind the wheel. There again I don't believe anyone in my family ever eats in the car either - maybe we are anal and prudish.

Please don't get me wrong, I sincerely don't understand the facination or need for cupholders and genuinely wonered if people really "need" them and it does seem many people use them on a daily basis and good luck to you. Maybe Aussies aren't used to them - since I bought the e60 two months ago a few people in the passenger seat have toyed with the cupholders and a couple of them actually asked what they were for! When told, both who previously didn't know, pushed them back into the dash and moved on to ask about the cooler things like the iDrive.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='201081
[/quote]

Don't worry, vnod. When my feet gets cold, more stops for me too. I don't think it's age specific; it's physiological
Old 11-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Ross1972' post='203196' date='Nov 25 2005, 11:57 PM
Okay, I asked the question so thought I would test out the cupholders. I took a bottle of water with me this morning when I left for work, put it in the holder and it immediately gave me the sh#ts because the sunlight was "glimmering" at me through the bottle so I put it between my legs hehe. I did have a few sips while driving along the freeway but had already had a coffee and some water before leaving home so didn't really see the need even if I drove 800 kilometeres I'd still put the bottle 'down there' as then it's right at hand, not very civilized I know.

It might be a cultural thing - when on long drives as a kid Mum and Dad would buy us bottled drinks with a lid and we were cautioned "don't spill it!" and we had never even heard of a drive-through so there was no chance of coffee being drunk - mind you, many an empty stubbie was hurled out the window into the bush so doubt is cast upon my parents' guidance!

So I guess this mindset has just stuck with me. Coffee for me is something drank around the breakfast table to wake me up but if I were still drowsy enough to need more I wouldn't get behind the wheel. There again I don't believe anyone in my family ever eats in the car either - maybe we are anal and prudish.

Please don't get me wrong, I sincerely don't understand the facination or need for cupholders and genuinely wonered if people really "need" them and it does seem many people use them on a daily basis and good luck to you. Maybe Aussies aren't used to them - since I bought the e60 two months ago a few people in the passenger seat have toyed with the cupholders and a couple of them actually asked what they were for! When told, both who previously didn't know, pushed them back into the dash and moved on to ask about the cooler things like the iDrive.
I think the cupholders are very good if you have drive thru where you buy your McD's and your soft drink will go in there nicely, do you guys have drive thru down under? have never been to Australia, I guess I have to see how different it is down there.