The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

best sounding diesel .. MB E30 CDI AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgos' post='267138' date='Apr 10 2006, 04:43 PM
U might be right about the bmw diesel sounding better than any other diesel. But i think bmw petrol engines also sound better than rivals. Especially the M versions which are the best sounding cars on the planet. Sorry, i am a real bmw-man, always been and always will be.
Agree with that. If we are talking about engine sound there is one car that i love more than anything especially for it's sound. Porsche carrera gt. That's a sound that i would love to hear anyday. I never heard an engine sound better. Not even competition engines (Even F1, fia gt, WTCC, or whatever)
But hey i'm telling you let's not bring M cars engine sound into equation. There is no comparison with no bmw engine be it non M petrol or diesel.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i Touring 2005, Carbonblack, Nappa Naturbraun, M-pack, Comfortline, Navi Prof, Steptronic, Bi-Xenon, Eisenmann exhaust.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='267140' date='Apr 10 2006, 03:47 PM
Agree with that. If we are talking about engine sound there is one car that i love more than anything especially for it's sound. Porsche carrera gt. That's a sound that i would love to hear anyday. I never heard an engine sound better. Not even competition engines (Even F1, fia gt, WTCC, or whatever)
But hey i'm telling you let's not bring M cars engine sound into equation. There is no comparison with no bmw engine be it non M petrol or diesel.
About 15 years ago when i wasnt convinced yet that bmw's were the best cars i was driving a 1987 Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 V6 America. Dont know if u even know this car but that car had some real sounds. And affordable as well. I loved that car.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Georgos' post='267145' date='Apr 10 2006, 05:14 PM
About 15 years ago when i wasnt convinced yet that bmw's were the best cars i was driving a 1987 Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 V6 America. Dont know if u even know this car but that car had some real sounds. And affordable as well. I loved that car.
Yes i think i know the car. HEEEY we have smth in commoun. I also was an Alfa fan. Never owned one but still before i turned to bmw. I wanted a 156 GTA, but also a friend of mine had a 155 q smth. That car really ate bmws for dinner. 0-100 in 7,1 seconds or less if good launched since it was 4X4. But then i discovered smth else mainly (rwd fun, the essence in real life performance, good build quality, good resale value, good reliabilty) wich however you put it , afla doesn't ahve any of it. The thing was that i hated bmw owners especially the E30 and earlier model that thought they could beat anything and because in general i hate arogant and men with grandomany, i hated bmw in a way, alfa was the real street car that could have matched them. But then suddenly i turned away and walked the correct road.

PS:155 Q4. I think that's correct. What a car but wil alot of problems, electrical stuff especially and very moody.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i Touring 2005, Carbonblack, Nappa Naturbraun, M-pack, Comfortline, Navi Prof, Steptronic, Bi-Xenon, Eisenmann exhaust.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='267149' date='Apr 10 2006, 04:24 PM
Yes i think i know the car. HEEEY we have smth in commoun. I also was an Alfa fan. Never owned one but still before i turned to bmw. I wanted a 156 GTA, but also a friend of mine had a 155 q smth. That car really ate bmws for dinner. 0-100 in 7,1 seconds or less if good launched since it was 4X4. But then i discovered smth else mainly (rwd fun, the essence in real life performance, good build quality, good resale value, good reliabilty) wich however you put it , afla doesn't ahve any of it. The thing was that i hated bmw owners especially the E30 and earlier model that thought they could beat anything and because in general i hate arogant and men with grandomany, i hated bmw in a way, alfa was the real street car that could have matched them. But then suddenly i turned away and walked the correct road.

PS:155 Q4. I think that's correct. What a car but wil alot of problems, electrical stuff especially and very moody.
I turned to bmw cause the Alfa 75 was the last Alfa with rear wheel drive. After that they only made front wheel drive cars. And that i dont like.
And your right about the negative points on Alfa's, but in the early days when they were still real driver's cars i took that for granted but unfortunately Alfa went too commercial and lost the real feeling with driving. I know the Alfa 155 Q4, nice ride and the 156 GTA still has an amazing sound and frontwheel drive :thumbsdown:
Old 04-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Georgos' post='267158' date='Apr 10 2006, 05:34 PM
I turned to bmw cause the Alfa 75 was the last Alfa with rear wheel drive. After that they only made front wheel drive cars. And that i dont like.
And your right about the negative points on Alfa's, but in the early days when they were still real driver's cars i took that for granted but unfortunately Alfa went too commercial and lost the real feeling with driving. I know the Alfa 155 Q4, nice ride and the 156 GTA still has an amazing sound and frontwheel drive :thumbsdown:
LOL talking about understeer....
Old 04-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d M Sport, Mystic Blue Adaptive Xenon's (Visibility Package), Grey Dakota Leather, Professional Navigation System, BMW Professional Radio/6 Disc CD Changer, Bluetooth Telephone Prearation, (Media Package)Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, Auto Dim Interior and Exterior (Electric Folding) Mirrors, Front Seat Heating

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='267127
As you can see from my history, we had an Alfa, and that was a 2.0 4cyl twinspark petrol. Wow, that thing sounded amazing! Italian aural pleasure!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

yes it might be a match at times for a 330i (xi will take it from a start) as soon as the 535i/335i comes , it will be pointless to compare
Old 04-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Georgos' post='267138' date='Apr 10 2006, 02:43 PM
U might be right about the bmw diesel sounding better than any other diesel. But i think bmw petrol engines also sound better than rivals. Especially the M versions which are the best sounding cars on the planet. Sorry, i am a real bmw-man, always been and always will be.
Quite agree.

But BMW petrol engines are really refined - they have a characteristic 'techno' sound - actually quite quiet and smooth.

Personally, although I am a BMW man through and through (530 is my 7th in a row), I actually prefer the engine note in other cars.

I like something a bit more visceral - like a 'proper' v8 sound (bmw V8 sounds VERY nice, but not dirty)......

I knew someone who ran an old ford capri 2800 .... very old fashioned - but that engine sounded like the devil himself.....proper low down crackle and grunt.....
Old 04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

if you want the sound of a v8 , why dont you get a v8 ?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:33 AM
GPS
Contributors

Originally Posted by Georgos' post='267158' date='Apr 10 2006, 04:34 PM
Alfa was indeed the quintessial driver's car at a time when BMWs (and all other German cars) were virtually unable to turn properly.
Then it became state-owned and eventually FIAT took over dropping rear wheel-drive. I agree with you, today's Alfas (none of which is rear wheel-drive, there's only a few 4 wheel drive, but it's not the same) have nothing in common with those of the 60s-early 70s heyday. To make things worse the latest 159's and Brera's engines are made by an Australian subsidiary of GM! The plight of globalisation...

Quick Reply: best sounding diesel .. MB E30 CDI AMG