The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Audi A4 outsells BMW 3-Series in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Ok. So everyone is commenting about the weight of BMW's. I agree that a lighter car makes a better handling car. I do NOT agree that BMW isn't working on that subject.

BMW is aware of the fact that a lighter weight vehicle needs less power, thus less fuel, corners better, etc. etc. As I mentioned in an earlier post, most BMW's are lighter, compared to their competitors.

This weekend I read a comparison test in an automobile magazine. They compared the A4 Avant 2,0 TDi (FWD) to the 320d Touring Xdrive (AWD). I don't remember the exact weights, but the 3 was less heavy than the A4, although it had AWD. The AWD adds about 100 kg.

We're all talking about how great the 'old' BMW's were. Have you all considered the (lack of) safety of that cars? I think BMW is doing a great job in that (especially compared to competitors).
Just my 2 cents........
Old 01-26-2009, 01:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LW78' post='777400' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:41 PM
Ok. So everyone is commenting about the weight of BMW's. I agree that a lighter car makes a better handling car. I do NOT agree that BMW isn't working on that subject.

BMW is aware of the fact that a lighter weight vehicle needs less power, thus less fuel, corners better, etc. etc. As I mentioned in an earlier post, most BMW's are lighter, compared to their competitors.

This weekend I read a comparison test in an automobile magazine. They compared the A4 Avant 2,0 TDi (FWD) to the 320d Touring Xdrive (AWD). I don't remember the exact weights, but the 3 was less heavy than the A4, although it had AWD. The AWD adds about 100 kg.

We're all talking about how great the 'old' BMW's were. Have you all considered the (lack of) safety of that cars? I think BMW is doing a great job in that (especially compared to competitors).
Just my 2 cents........
Also truth! Plus the level of technology we see in the cars. Sometimes we take for granted things like PDC and rear view camera, and Night Vision and Adaptive Cruise Control and even iPod adapter. But all of that plus lots lots lots more add to the weight. So to make cars even lighter than they are something has to give...

JetBlack5OC, on the other side of the coin, the M division may very well strike success with the X6 M and X5 M. Having a X6 V8 TT i must say that sometimes it really impresses me in the corners. The car feels lighter than it is, due to Adaptive Drive and other electronic stuff. The only time that i feel the weight of the car, is when it gets nose heavy during heavy braking after a long stright acceleration. Going into a sharp corner trail braking it really needs some steering correction.
I heard of a rumor that the X6 v8 TT (unbelievable truth be told) smoked a Masserati Quattroporte around a track. I tried searching the web for such test but was unable to find it. The X6 already proved faster than a Porsche Cayenne GTS so that makes it kind of king of SUVs (or SAVs ). Trust me for a car of it's weight it can most of the time surprise you in a good way.

Concluding, i have to agree that a great car starts with some basic ingredients:
1. RWD
2. 50:50 weight distribution and as less weight as it is possible.

And if BMW M killed some of the heritage with the X6 M and X5 M they started doing so after taking into consideration adding turbos to future M models. But hey if that sells maybe it's better for all of us on the long term. Truth be told an E92 M3 CSL would be a difficult decision in time of the economic crisis.