The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Audi A4 outsells BMW 3-Series in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='772062' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:32 PM
I test drove the new A4 before I bought my E60. It wasn't bad, but it didn't excite me very much. The steering was my biggest complaint. It wasn't very firm and didn't inspire as much confidence as BMW's do. The exterior styling was nice and the build quality was OK, but the interior plastics seemed a bit cheap. Anyway, I'm realy glad I went with a lightly used e60 instead of a new A4. I saved a ton of money and ended up with a much nicer car.
the audi's steering is alot looser.. my A6 ,4.2 was like that.. i had it for 39 months before the bmw..when we first tested the 550 i thought the steering was so tight.. loved it, but was not used to it as well.. loved that car.. heard they had electrical problems, but i cant complain.. i had none.. my husband broke the screen once when we had a fight, that cost us upward of 1500$, but that was the worst problem.. its fast, handles awesome, especially in the rain.. and the new LED'S on the 2008's are sick! i think thats a big seller for them.. i see them eveywhere now.. one came up behind me the other day in a snowstorm (the A5)with those sick lights that caught my eyes AND he wanted to pass me.. i was being a snail cause my rear end would have slipped all over..lol.. but i have a new love now.. that would be my baby girl 550.. so im in love with a new one now... my audi was great while it lasted, but i had to move on..
Old 01-20-2009, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by LW78' post='772293' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:29 AM
A BMW's got a 'soul'. It's still the car for the enthousiast who loves to drive (really drive, and not only 0-60 sprints). Has anyone driven a FWD-car lately? Try it......
Sadly, I don't think this is really true anymore. BMW and others stopped making cars for enthusiasts a while back. The characteristics that once defined a car for the enthusiast (light weight, smaller engine that needed to be pushed to show its best) aren't uppermost in BMW's mind any more. There's close to nothing of the soul of a 2002 or the older generations of the 3 series in almost any modern BMW. The current cars are great, no question, but they are a) too heavy and b) too clinical in their execution.

My advice to BMW would be simple. Stop pissing about with the engines (which are already excellent), and focus on getting weight out of cars that have no business weighing what they do.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='772372' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:35 PM
Ha ha, that car is even above BMW M-series!
that's why we have....pfhmmm ...correction had CSL
Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by swajames' post='772415' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:35 PM
Sadly, I don't think this is really true anymore. BMW and others stopped making cars for enthusiasts a while back. The characteristics that once defined a car for the enthusiast (light weight, smaller engine that needed to be pushed to show its best) aren't uppermost in BMW's mind any more. There's close to nothing of the soul of a 2002 or the older generations of the 3 series in almost any modern BMW. The current cars are great, no question, but they are a) too heavy and b) too clinical in their execution.

My advice to BMW would be simple. Stop pissing about with the engines (which are already excellent), and focus on getting weight out of cars that have no business weighing what they do.
You've wonderfully put that in words...... The e30 f.i. was really superior in it's class (and still is fun to drive, even today!).
With that in mind, I think I meant that an Audi is even more clinical to drive, compared to a BMW

Regarding the weight of BMW's, I'm not entirely with you on that.
A 1 Series f.e. is lighter as a VW Golf, despite it's RWD (which should make him heavier). A friend of mine has an Alfa Brera (for my US friends: Google!) and it's almost as heavy as a 5 Series!
What I'm saying is, compared to the competition, BMW's are generally less heavy.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='772329' date='Jan 20 2009, 05:31 PM
I have driven a 2004 RS 6 Quattro Avant Plus (C5) and that was amazing. Frightening at the same time. It sounded like war.

I can only imagine what the new RS 6 Avant is like... bi-turbo, V10, 570 hp.

Otherwise, the AUDI cars that I have driven (A3, A4, Allrad, A6 sedan) have done nothing for me. Back in 2002, a friend and I compared the E38 740iL to an A8 4.2, and the BMW was light years better. He then bought one of the last E38 models made, what a car.
all the old audi are no good at all, too many things go wrong
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='772436' date='Jan 20 2009, 04:09 PM
that's why we have....pfhmmm ...correction had CSL

M3 CSL.....those were the good times

But I do understand that in these times, it will cost too much to develop a CSL version
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by swajames' post='772415' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:35 PM

BMW are planning a 1.8tt engine so they will have small engine in about 2 to 3 years time.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='772455' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:34 PM
M3 CSL.....those were the good times

But I do understand that in these times, it will cost too much to develop a CSL version
Yes but does it trully costs less than to develop an X6 M and X5 M?

If you think about it, it may very well cost less since those are going to be only the series versions with some upped powerplants, unlike a CSL that would drill a hole in the R&D with carbon fiber parts, plastic windows, and other weight saving issues.

On the X6 and X5 weight saving is cut out form the R&D of the M versions.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by LW78' post='772452' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:31 AM
You've wonderfully put that in words...... The e30 f.i. was really superior in it's class (and still is fun to drive, even today!).
With that in mind, I think I meant that an Audi is even more clinical to drive, compared to a BMW
I think that's a fair point, I think you're right that the Audi and MB competitors are more clinical than their BMW equivalent. I guess most manufacturers have gone down that route, sadly. I know there are a lot of Porsche owners who feel the same about the current generation 911, when compared to the 964 and 993 variants. No question that the 997 is the most competent 911 they've ever made, but the 993 holds a special place in the hearts of many enthusiasts.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='772478' date='Jan 20 2009, 06:50 PM
I think that's a fair point, I think you're right that the Audi and MB competitors are more clinical than their BMW equivalent. I guess most manufacturers have gone down that route, sadly. I know there are a lot of Porsche owners who feel the same about the current generation 911, when compared to the 964 and 993 variants. No question that the 997 is the most competent 911 they've ever made, but the 993 holds a special place in the hearts of many enthusiasts.
Case in which i can't quite put my finger on the weight gain.

I mean take for example the M3 E46 vs E92, and then the 5 series and other examples; so if the engine is not the one that tilts the scale so much, in some cases not tilting it at all, then what is? Technology? Like the idrive systems and other stuff?

Quick Reply: Audi A4 outsells BMW 3-Series in Germany