The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Audi A4 outsells BMW 3-Series in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='772483' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:54 AM
Case in which i can't quite put my finger on the weight gain.

I mean take for example the M3 E46 vs E92, and then the 5 series and other examples; so if the engine is not the one that tilts the scale so much, in some cases not tilting it at all, then what is? Technology? Like the idrive systems and other stuff?
Yep, I think you're dead on my friend. It's the comfort options and technology that add extra mass but there are also some major differences in passenger and pedestrian safety requirements that the modern cars have to meet all of which adds huge amounts weight. Light cars like the 2002 and E30 didn't have to pass those tests! The E60 already has more weight saving features compared to most competitors through the use of aluminum etc so imagine what it would weigh if it were all steel? My point is just that BMW engines have advanced to the point where they are best in class already so maybe it would be better for enthusiasts if they were able to focus their R&D efforts on weight savings. As Colin Chapman at Lotus used to say, the most important ingredient in his cars was "added lightness".
Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='772249' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:50 PM
+1

My friend purchased a A5 3.2 a couple months ago.

It is one solid car. I can honestly say the fit/finish and build quality is leaps and bounds better than my 5-series.

I test drove the A5 and S5 awhile back, getting back into my 5er for the ride home was a big let down. The Interior is the new Audis are amazing.
+1

I've owned a couple of Audis and I would have to agree.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='772498' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:15 PM
Yep, I think you're dead on my friend. It's the comfort options and technology that add extra mass but there are also some major differences in passenger and pedestrian safety requirements that the modern cars have to meet all of which adds huge amounts weight. Light cars like the 2002 and E30 didn't have to pass those tests! The E60 already has more weight saving features compared to most competitors through the use of aluminum etc so imagine what it would weigh if it were all steel? My point is just that BMW engines have advanced to the point where they are best in class already so maybe it would be better for enthusiasts if they were able to focus their R&D efforts on weight savings. As Colin Chapman at Lotus used to say, the most important ingredient in his cars was "added lightness".
Agree weight saving is a must but with moderate costs plz
Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by swajames' post='772478' date='Jan 20 2009, 04:50 PM
I think that's a fair point, I think you're right that the Audi and MB competitors are more clinical than their BMW equivalent. I guess most manufacturers have gone down that route, sadly. I know there are a lot of Porsche owners who feel the same about the current generation 911, when compared to the 964 and 993 variants. No question that the 997 is the most competent 911 they've ever made, but the 993 holds a special place in the hearts of many enthusiasts.
Off topic, but I have to agree.
A 993 costs more than a 996, although a 993 is a lot older. I love the look of the 4S, with the wide stance and the air-cooled engine....
Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 530i M-Sport Carbon Black, black Dakota leather, advantage, comfort and M-Sport package, comfort seats, sport automatic transmission, alarm system, rails, folding and auto dimming mirrors, PDC, xenons, hi-fi loudspeaker system, USB interface, detachable towbar, navi pro, bluetooth phone prep. light package.

A4 is not a bad car, interior quality better than 3-series and exterior design maybe a bit more up to date. On the road it's just too "clinical" for my taste and what is it with those "christmas decorations" in the headlights.....

Btw. a friend of mine just traded in his S5 for a E92 M3 DCT......
Old 01-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XD TOURING Luxe, 231HP

As i have been owning both Audi and BMW I would say Audi finish is definitely far better than BMW. In all aspects...Yet Comfort is better in BMW. Audi always have wider tires and stiffer suspensions. Now latest Audi (A5, S5, R8) have very good handling and have made huge progress on comfort and feeling in steering wheel is now very decent. They yet still produce more Co2 and have worst MPG than their BMW counterpart, and cost more in maintenance.

I had experience with Audi dealership in Singapore, France and UK and I only have one word: It sucks. I had bad experience with 6 gears box breaking in less than 10k, service pretended they did...but did not, and diesel engines that had barely average reliability. But they worked most of these out. This is how I went to BMW for change.

BMW dealer experience is poor to average in UK, but so far better in France. Now having Japanese cars too (4x4) none of our German service come anywhere close to the outstanding service of Toyota.

All in all it is great that a company give change to BMW. Nothing wrong with that...It is sure that BMW will not stand still ...which is only a good news. Both will become even better!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by abcsworld' post='776434' date='Jan 25 2009, 06:01 AM

I had bad experience with 6 gears box breaking in less than 10k, service pretended they did...but did not, and diesel engines that had barely average reliability. But they worked most of these out. This is how I went to BMW for change.
My friend new A4 gearbox broke down within 2 weeks.
He also say it dose not kick down when going uphill :thumbsdown:
Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='772465
Case in which i can't quite put my finger on the weight gain.

I mean take for example the M3 E46 vs E92, and then the 5 series and other examples; so if the engine is not the one that tilts the scale so much, in some cases not tilting it at all, then what is? Technology? Like the idrive systems and other stuff?
You got it, 100% correct. Technology, safety equipment, etc... All adds up.

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='776864' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:29 AM
My Bimmers I have owned have all been in the shop more than the other cars I have owned.

My current E60 had a complete transmission failure.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='777295' date='Jan 26 2009, 05:52 AM
The problem is they are wasting time/money doing R&D on a useless massively overweight/overpowered vehicles like the X6M and X5M.

The same division (motorsports "M") that made a name for BMW is now killing their image. They are driving away the very people that defended BMW through its year to critics and haters. The enthusiasts have now lost all hope.
Totally agree!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='776864' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:29 PM
Ah, that's nothing. My car has broken down five times and required two software upgrades. With some 50 days in the garage for my 5er I can only say that your friend should be a very happy man!

Quick Reply: Audi A4 outsells BMW 3-Series in Germany