The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Audi A4 outsells BMW 3-Series in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='772328' date='Jan 20 2009, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't expect you to have any other response. Mr. BMW.

Audi does make a AWD car that behaves like not other AWD car ever, the R8. "NO" BMW built today can touch the driving pleasure of the R8.
If you say so...

Then again you are correct when you say that because on the most hardcore Audi cars, all that they did is brag about how much power it goes to the back now, from 60-70% for normal road use in normal conditions to nearly 100% of the power sent to the back in extreme conditions. So they made a RWD car for spirited driving and a AWD car for...snow or when you decide to drive at the limit on damp surfaces?! That for what? Extra weight and extra fuel consumption? No thanks.

I don't agree with the concept of it. And yes BMW has no car to touch the R8 because it has no competitor for the R8. As i think, truly, that the M3 DCT can come close and in some aspects even better than the R8 it's not a true competitor to it. If BMW had one it would probably be better.

That's why i would pretty much prefer a Ferrari F430 than a Lamborghini Gallardo. One is the essence while one is diluted.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='772331
If BMW had one it would probably be better.
If you say so...

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='772331' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:51 AM
I don't agree with the concept of it.
Well you might be the only one on the planet. It is a masterpiece, you can make the car dance.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='772333' date='Jan 20 2009, 01:59 PM
My sister has a M3 DCT and that would be a "no".

If you say so...

Well you might be the only one on the planet. It is a masterpiece, you can make the car dance.
Edit: I meant back there "better" as in more fun.

I don't deny it's a masterpiece, just as the GTR is for a 4wd car. But i think there are better masterpieces out there as i pointed earlier. Ferrari vs Lamborghini, Porsche GT3 vs Audi R8. Just like a Picasso vs a Rembrand .
Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='772333' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:59 AM
My sister has a M3 DCT and that would be a "no".

If you say so...

Uhh, Audi had to take over Lamborghini to make such a car. In fact, the base of an R8 IS a Lambo....
BTW, almost all race cars are RWD. That IS for a reason......

I am sure that 80% of people would be very happy with an Audi and would not notice the difference between a BMW. Talk to (for example) a racing driver or a teacher at a driving school, they all prefer a BMW over an Audi (driving pleasure).
Again, most people are really not interested in the (not that big) difference!

I just can't accept that I will be driving a car that has exactly the same engine as a Skoda/Volkswagen/Seat and have to pay twice as much......
Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='772344' date='Jan 20 2009, 01:36 PM
Uhh, Audi had to take over Lamborghini to make such a car. In fact, the base of an R8 IS a Lambo....
BTW, almost all race cars are RWD. That IS for a reason......

I am sure that 80% of people would be very happy with an Audi and would not notice the difference between a BMW. Talk to (for example) a racing driver or a teacher at a driving school, they all prefer a BMW over an Audi (driving pleasure).
Again, most people are really not interested in the (not that big) difference!

I just can't accept that I will be driving a car that has exactly the same engine as a Skoda/Volkswagen/Seat and have to pay twice as much......
Again very good and valid points.

I wanted to say smth about racing buy you beat me to it.

Anyway thinking at drifting contests i think all of us agree that the kings are RWD cars, in fact very few are 4WD cars. Also if we look at the makes/models we see rwd cars that are perfect suited for drifting aka driving at the limit sideways. That's total control and that is translated into driving pleasure. The easiness that a car provides in driving at the limit is also an important factor and be sure that the drifters have the easiest to drift cars on the planet. They don't drive American muscle cars, they don't drive freaking R8s or Gallardos or 991 Turbos they drive "drivers cars".

Also to prove my points Audi told Tiff Neddle from 5th Gear when he tested the new RS6 not to try and drift it. I wonder why not?!

PS: They were not talking to an average Joe, not even to average Jeremy Clarkson for that matter, they were talking to an ex pro racing driver.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='772346' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:43 AM
Again every good and valid points.

I wanted to say smth about racing buy you beat me to it.

Anyway thinking at drifting contests i think all of us agree that the kings are RWD cars, in fact very few are 4WD cars. Also if we look at the makes/models we see rwd cars that are perfect suited for drifting aka driving at the limit sideways. That's total control and that is translated into driving pleasure. The easiness that a car provides in driving at the limit is also an important factor and be sure that the drifters have the easiest to drift cars on the planet. They don't drive American muscle cars, they don't drive freaking R8s or Gallardos or 991 Turbos they drive "drivers cars".
All true....... but that doesn't mean that Audi builts bad cars. In fact, they built almost perfect cars. Maybe too perfect. IMO, they have no real base. I mean, the R8 is based on a Lambo, all (affordable) engine's are shared with cheaper brands (VW/Skoda/Seat, hell, even Porsche!) AND you're always stuck with FWD or AWD.

To be completely honest, if I weren't driving a BMW, I was definetively driving an Audi. Except everytime I test-drive one, it doesn't give me the 'extra' (call it 'X-factor') feeling a BMW gives me!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='772348' date='Jan 20 2009, 01:50 PM
All true....... but that doesn't mean that Audi builts bad cars. In fact, they built almost perfect cars. Maybe too perfect. IMO, they have no real base. I mean, the R8 is based on a Lambo, all (affordable) engine's are shared with cheaper brands (VW/Skoda/Seat, hell, even Porsche!) AND you're always stuck with FWD or AWD.

To be completely honest, if I weren't driving a BMW, I was definetively driving an Audi. Except everytime I test-drive one, it doesn't give me the 'extra' (call it 'X-factor') feeling a BMW gives me!
Agree. I came from the Audi/VW world myself. I never said they drive bad cars, it's quite the opposite.

If i weren't driving a BMW i think i would drive a Merc. I mean after coming from FWD and 4WD cars of VW and Audi (one VW passat and an Audi A4) and seeing what RWD is on a good car i said God DAMN if i go back to VAG and hence 4wd or worse Fwd
Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='772349' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:56 AM
Agree. I came from the Audi/VW world myself. I never said they drive bad cars, it's quite the opposite.

If i weren't driving a BMW i think i would drive a Merc. I mean after coming from FWD and 4WD cars of VW and Audi (one VW passat and an Audi A4) and seeing what RWD is on a good car i said God DAMN if i go back to VAG and hence 4wd or worse Fwd

I have driven an Audi 1.8 Turbo in the past (210hp, FWD, almost 10 years back).
FWD is ok for daily driving and up to 200hp. Again, for 80% of the people it wouldn't matter. A Merc would not be an option for me. I dislike the 'distant' road feel, although an AMG could work...... but that's way above my league
Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='772351' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:03 PM
I have driven an Audi 1.8 Turbo in the past (210hp, FWD, almost 10 years back).
FWD is ok for daily driving and up to 200hp. Again, for 80% of the people it wouldn't matter. A Merc would not be an option for me. I dislike the 'distant' road feel, although an AMG could work...... but that's way above my league
Thinking only of AMG...black
Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='772363' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:51 PM
Thinking only of AMG...black

Ha ha, that car is even above BMW M-series!

Quick Reply: Audi A4 outsells BMW 3-Series in Germany