The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

550i vs Audi S6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='375533' date='Jan 9 2007, 01:20 AM
Fred, I think you missed what Swajames wrote. Those articles said the S6 out-cornered and out-braked the M5. Seems like the performance gap discussion between RWD and quattro is gone....

Not to say this isn't true but I tend to agree with what Jeremy Clarkson said about the S6 Avant. (which shouldn't be much different than the sedan)

Overall, the numbers just don't add up. Low hp, higher weight and typical Audi handling are the factors. Maybe the Merc and M5 have too much power for the testers.

See a very humorous articles from a funny and knowledgeable chap.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_...ticle607034.ece

CVT Benhogan
Old 03-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='398222' date='Mar 3 2007, 08:28 PM
Not to say this isn't true but I tend to agree with what Jeremy Clarkson said about the S6 Avant. (which shouldn't be much different than the sedan)

Overall, the numbers just don't add up. Low hp, higher weight and typical Audi handling are the factors. Maybe the Merc and M5 have too much power for the testers.

See a very humorous articles from a funny and knowledgeable chap.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_...ticle607034.ece

CVT Benhogan

Clarkson (and I'm also a big fan of his) is the same funny and knowledgeable chap who doesn't like the 545 .

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_...l&offset=12

And also described the generally excellent 335 as a "dog turd".

I'm sure most here wouldn't agree with either of these eviews.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s
Cool

Originally Posted by swajames' post='398228' date='Mar 4 2007, 01:53 AM

Clarkson (and I'm also a big fan of his) is the same funny and knowledgeable chap who doesn't like the 545 .

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_...l&offset=12

And also described the generally excellent 335 as a "dog turd".

I'm sure most here wouldn't agree with either of these eviews.

True. But no getting around a very harsh take on the S6 Avant. "Steering felt like driftwood."

He adored the M5 (see link) and generally liked the way the 335 drives.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_...ticle483911.ece

Its the BMW styling that bothers him, as well as everyone just defaulting and getting bimmers. Buck the trend so to speak. Hes not a fan of tourings, and didn't like the active steer nor RFTs on the 545. Thought the car was good without AS and preferred a comfortable Merc touring for the segment.

CVT Benhogan
Old 03-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='398357' date='Mar 4 2007, 09:55 AM
True. But no getting around a very harsh take on the S6 Avant. "Steering felt like driftwood."

He adored the M5 (see link) and generally liked the way the 335 drives.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_...ticle483911.ece

Its the BMW styling that bothers him, as well as everyone just defaulting and getting bimmers. Buck the trend so to speak. Hes not a fan of tourings, and didn't like the active steer nor RFTs on the 545. Thought the car was good without AS and preferred a comfortable Merc touring for the segment.

CVT Benhogan
Since we're all placing such weight on reviews a quick search will uncover more positive reviews than negative. It's hard to ignore the fact that it beat the M5 in three tests, and there are many other very positive reviews out there. The original question was 550 or S6, and as I own one and have driven the other I feel able to relate to the reviews - and I find the positive reviews more closely match my experience. Audi isn't even specifically pitching the S6 against the M5 and E63 (it has the RS6 in mind for that) - but the magazines seem to want to make the comparisons and are finding the S6 is a very complete package, which is why it is placing well. For me, it is a much better car than my 550 Sport, and a more usable car than the E60 M5 I drove. I haven't driven an E63 so I've got no real perspective on that.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='398431' date='Mar 4 2007, 06:24 PM
Since we're all placing such weight on reviews a quick search will uncover more positive reviews than negative. It's hard to ignore the fact that it beat the M5 in three tests, and there are many other very positive reviews out there. The original question was 550 or S6, and as I own one and have driven the other I feel able to relate to the reviews - and I find the positive reviews more closely match my experience. Audi isn't even specifically pitching the S6 against the M5 and E63 (it has the RS6 in mind for that) - but the magazines seem to want to make the comparisons and are finding the S6 is a very complete package, which is why it is placing well. For me, it is a much better car than my 550 Sport, and a more usable car than the E60 M5 I drove. I haven't driven an E63 so I've got no real perspective
on that.
Hey, its a free country. Trust your judgment and enjoy the S6. Its just that my judgment goes alittle different and I could be dead wrong.

I'm placing more weight on objective performance statistics and on the M5/BMW history. S6 raises a lot of questions in this regard. What happened to the HP of the Lambo engine? Why does a supposed super sedan fail to break 5 in the 60, and arrive with a lame trap speed in the quarter? How can any $75K+ car not do this? How does marvelous and superior road handling happen on a car with nearly 70% of its weight perched over the front tires? Why does Audi get regularly spanked in the DTM series by everyone and anyone driving RWD? Why haven't I driven one? Where can we get the stuff the US mag testers are smoking?

If the Euro mags and Clarkson marveled at the S6 as being superior to a M5, I say wait a minute. But our car mags are getting lamer by second and seem to just run cars around in circles. But reading between the lines, its the same old criticisms of BMW's electronics and gadgetry that win the day, and the herd mentality saying its time to get off the BMW bandwagon. If all the road and track guys got divorced and didn't have Baby Boomer creep, might they like playing around with all those buttons, the race car reflexes, and steering with a throttle. This segment means Evo punch with German style class. Most E60ers with ownership experience discount these gripes, like such crazy things as SMG and I-Drive. But, what they don't like is a heavy and front weight basis chassis in a sports sedan. And guess what, now Audi agrees. And promises not to design these anymore and, to make this so, hired a bunch of BMW engineers in a German kind of free agency. Of course the agreement was no more titter totter front ends in future platforms. Okay boys. We can't and won't cope with that. Unfortnately, the current A6 chassis was already out the door. The next A4 will be their first try.

But back to the comparison between the S6 and 550, avoiding for sanity's sake strange notions that the M5 sucks and is not driveble. If one test drives a S6 and likes it better than 550, get one. But I really doubt its much better than the 07 550, and odds are the new one with M-sport suspension, sports auto, and nonRFTs will be better. A chipped 535 with a suspension tweak is yet another good option. One thing is certain. Both will be faster and loads lighter and will keep up with a 335i sedan, whereas a V10 S6 can't.

BTW, the RS badge is not a regular production series car, so we should be careful when slotting these into the performance paradigm. Generally the RS tag is slapped on platforms on the way out. And more importantly, every successive M series car easily eclipses its existing RS counterpart, as surely as the new M3 will destroy the current RS4. Nice thing is, you'll be able to buy the M3 this year, next year, and the year after that. Expect another RS4 in what 2011? Heck, a 335 coupe with a couple of tweaks isn't far off a RS4 now. Why? It has the better inherent platform, at least for now.

Respectfully disagree.

CVT Benhogan
Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='399234' date='Mar 6 2007, 11:48 AM
Hey, its a free country. Trust your judgment and enjoy the S6. Its just that my judgment goes alittle different and I could be dead wrong.

I'm placing more weight on objective performance statistics and on the M5/BMW history. S6 raises a lot of questions in this regard. What happened to the HP of the Lambo engine? Why does a supposed super sedan fail to break 5 in the 60, and arrive with a lame trap speed in the quarter? How can any $75K+ car not do this? How does marvelous and superior road handling happen on a car with nearly 70% of its weight perched over the front tires? Why does Audi get regularly spanked in the DTM series by everyone and anyone driving RWD? Why haven't I driven one? Where can we get the stuff the US mag testers are smoking?

If the Euro mags and Clarkson marveled at the S6 as being superior to a M5, I say wait a minute. But our car mags are getting lamer by second and seem to just run cars around in circles. But reading between the lines, its the same old criticisms of BMW's electronics and gadgetry that win the day, and the herd mentality saying its time to get off the BMW bandwagon. If all the road and track guys got divorced and didn't have Baby Boomer creep, might they like playing around with all those buttons, the race car reflexes, and steering with a throttle. This segment means Evo punch with German style class. Most E60ers with ownership experience discount these gripes, like such crazy things as SMG and I-Drive. But, what they don't like is a heavy and front weight basis chassis in a sports sedan. And guess what, now Audi agrees. And promises not to design these anymore and, to make this so, hired a bunch of BMW engineers in a German kind of free agency. Of course the agreement was no more titter totter front ends in future platforms. Okay boys. We can't and won't cope with that. Unfortnately, the current A6 chassis was already out the door. The next A4 will be their first try.

But back to the comparison between the S6 and 550, avoiding for sanity's sake strange notions that the M5 sucks and is not driveble. If one test drives a S6 and likes it better than 550, get one. But I really doubt its much better than the 07 550, and odds are the new one with M-sport suspension, sports auto, and nonRFTs will be better. A chipped 535 with a suspension tweak is yet another good option. One thing is certain. Both will be faster and loads lighter and will keep up with a 335i sedan, whereas a V10 S6 can't.

BTW, the RS badge is not a regular production series car, so we should be careful when slotting these into the performance paradigm. Generally the RS tag is slapped on platforms on the way out. And more importantly, every successive M series car easily eclipses its existing RS counterpart, as surely as the new M3 will destroy the current RS4. Nice thing is, you'll be able to buy the M3 this year, next year, and the year after that. Expect another RS4 in what 2011? Heck, a 335 coupe with a couple of tweaks isn't far off a RS4 now. Why? It has the better inherent platform, at least for now.

Respectfully disagree.

CVT Benhogan
Anyway, here's some more food for thought for you - Edmunds just tested the RS4 against the E60 M5

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=119784
Old 03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 530i Mtech

Originally Posted by tsilveracs' post='369360' date='Dec 20 2006, 12:27 AM
man i dont know that S8 is something else
the s8 is a crazy car so is the m5 but if u live where there is a lot of rain or snow the s8 would suit u cause u can push it in all weather. there both just 2 different cars with 2 different tastes with arround the same power. in my opinion i would get the m5 also if u need the awd then get it if not then fuck it get the m5 or the m6
Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='399267' date='Mar 6 2007, 05:16 PM
Anyway, here's some more food for thought for you - Edmunds just tested the RS4 against the E60 M5

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=119784
Not hungry. Hey, their the guys who were so so on the S6.

Yeah its a great car. As you'd expect I'd say, its not a direct competitor to the M5. Wait for the new M3.

That said, the 4.2 FSI engine is a real monster and Audi can be uber proud of that. Its smoking everyones offerings in term hp per liter and weight. Makes the Lambo derived V10 look like a serious underachiever. I was drooling on the RS4 at the dealer during our last service visit. A grey/carbon black paint job. Super yummy. Right now its just alittle too small like our A4. Always loved the A4 look.

CVT Benhogan
Old 03-08-2007, 04:57 AM
Members

I own a 550 my self and took the RS4 for a test drive aside from it being smaller than the 550 it kicks ass holds the road better than the 550 and the power WOW. This is to me more of a comparsion to the M5 for allot less money I have not driven the S6 so can't make any comments on that but the RS4 is a hell of a car for the money. Just my opinion that being said I do love my 550 and there are things the 550 has the RS4 does not but if you want to compare performance HANDS DOWN RS4 WINS
Old 03-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Ok now this is officially way off. 550i compared to the RS4?! This is a bit silly...

Quick Reply: 550i vs Audi S6?