The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

550i vs Audi S6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='400154' date='Mar 8 2007, 07:10 AM
Ok now this is officially way off. 550i compared to the RS4?! This is a bit silly...
The RS4 just got compared to the M5 over here - and the RS4 won. Not as silly a comparison as it might appear, the RS4 and M5 are the only two sport sedans over 70K available with manual transmissions over here.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Members

Why is it silly, drive the car then make a judgement call, I'm talking performance the 550 is a great car and is pretty quick but not in the same ballpark as the RS4 and the handling no comparision. I still love my 550 though.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Sorry. See post below.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by BMW MAN' post='400128' date='Mar 8 2007, 09:57 AM
I own a 550 my self and took the RS4 for a test drive aside from it being smaller than the 550 it kicks ass holds the road better than the 550 and the power WOW. This is to me more of a comparsion to the M5 for allot less money I have not driven the S6 so can't make any comments on that but the RS4 is a hell of a car for the money. Just my opinion that being said I do love my 550 and there are things the 550 has the RS4 does not but if you want to compare performance HANDS DOWN RS4 WINS
Big suprise? Don't think so.

Note to self. A much cheaper EVO smokes em all.

Given the reviewers logic, should we compare the M3 and M5 then? Who wins that one boys? While minus two doors, the M3 gets compared to the RS4 and S4 all the time. The A4 models really don't have backseats. LOL My A4 is downright cramped. Cute as a button though. That said, lets go a bit zany and compare the M5 to the S8? Ah, the M5 is judged sportier but the S8 wins overall due to its AWD poise, elegant styling (non-Bangle) and quality interior. The logic can bends away further with the IS350 taking down the 550.

Its reasonable to assume RS4 wins hands down the performance category(Edmund's target category in the test). Its a smaller car and its in a lighter weight class. Right? In terms of comfort, the M5 gets points given the greater room and the longer wheel basis. We know this comfort advantage is offset by the frustrations of I-drive and gadgets. Actually, the real takeaway from Edmunds is BMW's tragic error on non-defeatable traction control and the old six speeder. OMFG. Maybe the engineers fired by Audi have corrupted the Shunks works in Munich.

Some of these comparisons are just mag filler cause there is nothing else to write. Edmunds should do a relevant comparo, suchas the 550 smoking the 4.2 A6 and Merc. Really need to throw in an M45 and the new GS350 or 450h.

One last item, its very obvious that the auto press is very impressed with Audi performance offerings. Not being too BMW biased, my hats off to Audi in the uber car segment. Lots of good progress. Its too bad their (main line) offerings are a bit lame, ergo the 3.2 and 4.2 A6s. So we wait. I'm looking forward to the upcoming A4 chassis.

CVT Benhogan
Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='400229' date='Mar 8 2007, 09:17 AM
Some of these comparisons are just mag filler cause there is nothing else to write. Edmunds should do a relevant comparo, suchas the 550 smoking the 4.2 A6 and Merc. Really need to throw in an M45 and the new GS350 or 450h.

CVT Benhogan
There's already been at least one comparison like that, if I recall correctly the M45 took the overall honors in that particular test. E550 was fastest by a pretty significant margin. 550i was second.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 1994 Mazda RX-7 2007 BMW 328xi 2008 BMW 550i (Sep 4 Munich delivery)

Originally Posted by swajames' post='400303' date='Mar 8 2007, 02:09 PM
There's already been at least one comparison like that, if I recall correctly the M45 took the overall honors in that particular test. E550 was fastest by a pretty significant margin. 550i was second.
Yes - that was a Car & Driver test done in the last 6-8 months I believe. Good comparo & enjoyable reading I thought. 550i lost mainly due to price and the frustrating I-Drive. If you take away those 2 issues, the 550i was judged the best car overall in that comparison (driving perspective). OBTW - the M45 was the SPORT trimline which is an optional version of M45.

General comment: What makes a car better than another? In the eye of the beholder... so "it depends", right? There are certainly objective tests of performance with metrics & numbers to compare, price :'( , then there are the intangible / subjective aspects: how does it LOOK, how does it feel to sit in it, drive it, do you like the amount of room (bigger not always better for some people), etc. Do you own other cars with different characteristics you don't want duplicated? Is it important to have a "rare" or "unique" car that won't be seen all around? And there's the added factor peace of mind - which has better safety / crash protection, better maintenance plan (BMW sounds great w/ 4yr/50K deal). Everyone has different factors that are more / less important to them. Bottom line point I am making is that only the person getting the car can truly say what is "best" for them.

So it's fun (and educational) to read & contribute to all the discussions of 535xi this vs. S6 that vs. 550i, etc.. in the end - find a car that speaks to your gut & "just fits" for YOU (that you can afford of course). Me? I love my RX-7 (100K+ miles & going) but will probably get a 2008 550i/Sports pkg loaded w/most fun toys to become my "dream commute" car that I can take along with some friends on fun jaunts.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1994_RX-7_Tour' post='400331' date='Mar 8 2007, 12:09 PM
Yes - that was a Car & Driver test done in the last 6-8 months I believe. Good comparo & enjoyable reading I thought. 550i lost mainly due to price and the frustrating I-Drive. If you take away those 2 issues, the 550i was judged the best car overall in that comparison (driving perspective). OBTW - the M45 was the SPORT trimline which is an optional version of M45.

General comment: What makes a car better than another? In the eye of the beholder... so "it depends", right? There are certainly objective tests of performance with metrics & numbers to compare, price :'( , then there are the intangible / subjective aspects: how does it LOOK, how does it feel to sit in it, drive it, do you like the amount of room (bigger not always better for some people), etc. Do you own other cars with different characteristics you don't want duplicated? Is it important to have a "rare" or "unique" car that won't be seen all around? And there's the added factor peace of mind - which has better safety / crash protection, better maintenance plan (BMW sounds great w/ 4yr/50K deal). Everyone has different factors that are more / less important to them. Bottom line point I am making is that only the person getting the car can truly say what is "best" for them.

So it's fun (and educational) to read & contribute to all the discussions of 535xi this vs. S6 that vs. 550i, etc.. in the end - find a car that speaks to your gut & "just fits" for YOU (that you can afford of course). Me? I love my RX-7 (100K+ miles & going) but will probably get a 2008 550i/Sports pkg loaded w/most fun toys to become my "dream commute" car that I can take along with some friends on fun jaunts.
Absolutely agree. You'll love the 550!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1994_RX-7_Tour' post='400331' date='Mar 8 2007, 12:09 PM

Absolutely agree. You'll love the 550!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='400303' date='Mar 8 2007, 03:09 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread away from the S6.

Yeah I know about the many tests. The 5er is always the best performer but price and I-drive drag it down. Believe most tests included 545, not that this matters much. You know doubt remember the heavy 4.2 A6 taking the crown in Automobile mag. Another case in point of shabby journalism or good smoke!!! I think the 545 went to battle without the sports package with its monterous sticker.

Alittle more hijacking. Who here on this board wishes to trade their E60 in for 4.2 A6? This includes 530s which are just as fast as the big Audi. Stand and be counted. LOL Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I was specifically wondering why Edmunds didn't do a bigger test. I respect their opinion, ergo S6. They referenced the 550 as the clear performance leader over the A6 4.2 and E550. Again, the Audi was decribed as being sluggish and heavy on its feet, as the 550 viewed its German rivals in the rear view mirror. I was particularly interested in their take on the M45, as this car has won a number of comparos. Oh well.

CVT Benhogan
Old 03-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='400340' date='Mar 8 2007, 12:39 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread away from the S6.

Yeah I know about the many tests. The 5er is always the best performer but price and I-drive drag it down. Believe most tests included 545, not that this matters much. You know doubt remember the heavy 4.2 A6 taking the crown in Automobile mag. Another case in point of shabby journalism or good smoke!!! I think the 545 went to battle without the sports package with its monterous sticker.

Alittle more hijacking. Who here on this board wishes to trade their E60 in for 4.2 A6? This includes 530s which are just as fast as the big Audi. Stand and be counted. LOL Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I was specifically wondering why Edmunds didn't do a bigger test. I respect their opinion, ergo S6. They referenced the 550 as the clear performance leader over the A6 4.2 and E550. Again, the Audi was decribed as being sluggish and heavy on its feet, as the 550 viewed its German rivals in the rear view mirror. I was particularly interested in their take on the M45, as this car has won a number of comparos. Oh well.

CVT Benhogan
I do agree re the regular A6. When I got my 545 and later my 550 I looked at the A6 4.2 too and it really is no match for the V8 BMW's. In fact Audi inadvertently put me in a BMW - I drove straight from the Audi dealer having driven the A6 4.2 to the BMW dealer, then having tested the 545 right after the A6 I got the 545 on the spot. (that said, and with apologies for harping on about the S6, you'll have to believe me that it does genuinely feel and drive nothing like the regular A6!)

Quick Reply: 550i vs Audi S6?