The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by swajames' post='516329' date='Jan 11 2008, 08:22 AM
That may not be the most flattering pic but to be honest there really aren't that many buttons in there. This car is far from being the worst offender in that regard (and of course the LCI E60 increased its own button count).
As far as flattering, I'd say that this is probably as flattering a photo as you're going to see. I think it's one of those official (professional) photos that GM spent big bucks getting. This seems to be the kind of photo that they put in catalogs, etc. where they go to extremes to make sure everything looks as good as possible.

As far as number of buttons, again, maybe it's me but I'm seeing a bunch of them. There are some to the extreme left of the shot next to the dash vent, there are a bunch on the steering wheel (which look like they're too close together), and there are a ton of them scattered all over the center stack (again, many of them too close together to allow for good feedback.) There seems to be many more buttons than that of the E60. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the round knob below the analog clock might be some sort of "mouse" controller for the screen (similar to the iDrive controller) but my bet is that it would be tricky to keep your arm extended and accurately (and comfortably) use it while driving.

All I know is that each time I look at this photo, I get anxious.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

550 supercharged horsepower STOCK;
100HP+ only a pulley change away;

and all you guys can talk about is buttons.

I NEED AWD for my daily driver,
so hopefully BMW will deliver a AWD 5 series with a 4.4L turbo V8.
But, if I didn't NEED AWD,
I would choose the CTS-V in a second because no sedan on the planet is going to walk away from this thing......
especially when owners star swapping pulleys.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by TT C6' post='516616' date='Jan 11 2008, 10:48 PM
550 supercharged horsepower STOCK;
100HP+ only a pulley change away;

and all you guys can talk about is buttons.

I would choose the CTS-V in a second because no sedan on the planet is going to walk away from this thing......
I'm not trying to steer this thread in a different direction. - But what pulley change is going to give you a 100hp boost?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pukka' post='516745' date='Jan 12 2008, 02:27 AM
I'm not trying to steer this thread in a different direction. - But what pulley change is going to give you a 100hp boost?
yep - 100 is probably a little high but 50 to 60 HP should be possible if the results of the E55 pulley upgrades are anything to go by. That's going to take you to around 600+ hp at the crank (and probably over 500 at the rear wheels...) Not bad at all!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by TT C6' post='516616' date='Jan 11 2008, 10:48 PM
I don't need AWD, but even with the current CTS-V winter driving was probably the main reason I stayed away in the end. Only a few people on their forums even tried to drive in Northern winters (and those that had winter tires generally also had some backup alternative for really bad days). I talked to a few people around here that have them and they wouldn't even consider trying to use it as their primary car for winter.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='515651' date='Jan 9 2008, 06:17 PM
The CTS-V is going to be all about the chasis and the engine - not about the touch screen NAV ... just as the M5 is not about iDrive.

I've driven the regular CTS as a rental car twice now and I'm very, very impressed with the ride and handling ... not too far behind an E60. And the interior is outstanding with the quality of materials and build as good or better than our E60s - and approaching the benchmark Audi.

It will be interesting to read the first-drive reviews of the CTS-V from the car mags - they LOVED the standard CTS. With massive power and torque, and a chasis tuned on the 'Ring - all for about $30,000 less than an M5 - this will be a car to pay attention to.

Agreed. A force to reckon with. That said, IMHO the car mags went intially alittle over board on the standard CTS. I see new comparos with the 335 and G35 besting it. Put a twin turbo E60 on track with PS2s, the result would be the CTS far behind. The E60 has much more grip and power.

As for the CTS-V, it will enjoy a period of time bashing the German power sedans. Good stuff. But not for long though, the F10 will arive and crush it with better driving dynamics and better interior and electronics/interfaces. In the future the F10 will win most car mag comparos with the Caddy and others, with the main negative being like always, price.

But the main point is Caddy got close this time and the CTS-V will arguable top (performance/value) the German performance sedans for a brief moment. Of course Nissan could make a four door Skyline.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='516918' date='Jan 12 2008, 03:40 PM
Of course Nissan could make a four door Skyline.
If you've never lived in Japan - Imagine that!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='516179' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:18 PM
Certainly not to the same level, but do you guys think this interior shares some similarities with the CTS-V?

Here's the caddy again for comparison. It might not be the greatest, but I'm honestly impressed, especially for an American car.

Thats funny, they do look very similar. Clarkson always says the Aston's interior don't look like what you pay for them. He says they have a lot of Ford and Volvo parts in them.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='515651' date='Jan 9 2008, 04:17 PM
The CTS-V is going to be all about the chasis and the engine - not about the touch screen NAV ... just as the M5 is not about iDrive.

I've driven the regular CTS as a rental car twice now and I'm very, very impressed with the ride and handling ... not too far behind an E60. And the interior is outstanding with the quality of materials and build as good or better than our E60s - and approaching the benchmark Audi.

It will be interesting to read the first-drive reviews of the CTS-V from the car mags - they LOVED the standard CTS. With massive power and torque, and a chasis tuned on the 'Ring - all for about $30,000 less than an M5 - this will be a car to pay attention to.
I just drove a regular CTS rental 300 miles in one day last week. The seat cushion foam is miserable, and the seat bottom is way too short. Both my passenger and I are about 6 foot tall, and our butts and hamstrings were numb because all our weight was on our butts. It needs the extensions like I have on my Comfort seats.

Otherwise, nice ride and feel. Much improved interior from last gen.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi- Alpine White, Natural Brown Interior, Sport Pack, Premium Pack, Comfort Access, 20 way Multi-contor seats, Navigation, 18" rims, Cold Weather Pack

i love the grills, thats it

Quick Reply: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V