The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

2006 Infiniti M45 in my garage!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2006 Infiniti M45 in Twilight Blue with Graphite Leather and Rosewood Trim. MSRP $54,510

I test drove the BMW 545i, the Audi A6 4.2, the Cadillac STS, the Acura RL, and would have driven a new Lexus GS430 if anyone had one. The Acura was the best bang for the buck, but didn't have enough torque and the trunk was the smallest of the bunch. The 545i is a great car, but similarly equipped to my M45 it was over 10 grand more! I really liked the Audi A6...it had the nicest interior of them all with excellent room and trunk space. Unfortunately, there were very few to be found, so there was little or no discount and the lease rates and residuals were lousy. With the miles I do, the lease would have been about $150 more per month for a car that had an MSRP of only a couple thousand more than my M45. The Cadillac was also a good contender with that silky smooth Northstar engine and all the latest technology. But the interior was not to my liking and the trunk was second smallest in this group.

The Infiniti had a 60% residual on a 3 year/45,000 mile lease and the excess mileage fee paid in advance was only 10 cents making for a much more affordable lease than the German cars. Also, the M45 has every new piece of technology out there: Excellent navigation, satellite radio, bluetooth, MP3 CD playback, Bose DVD audio surround sound system (a little lacking in the lows), intelligent cruise control (laser guided), rear view backup camera, and ventilated seats (yeah, baby).

And don't forget about the 4.5 liter V8 with 335 Hp and 340 lb-ft of torque! It is very frustrating keeping the engine under 4,000 RPM during the 1,200 mile break in period. I can't wait to really open this baby up on the road! I did not go with the sport package because with all of my freeway driving I wanted to stay with the smoother ride of the 18 inch wheels and softer suspension. But I drove the sport which adds the 19 inch wheels, sport suspension and rear active steer. It handled quite well on my test drive, but the regular suspension is pretty darn good as well and I wanted more of a cruiser than a canyon carver. I've got my M Coupe for that!

See some more pictures here!

My wife has a 2004 Orient Blue 530i that she absolutely loves to drive. I enjoy driving it quite a bit as well. But I'm a power junkie and the M45 gave me more bang for the buck than a 545i. If money was not an issue, I would have gotten the 545i in a heartbeat. There is something hard to describe about the overall quality of the BMW versus the Infifniti. Infiniti has come a long way, but the feel of the BMW is just more solid. It just isn't $10,000 more solid!
Old 03-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Congrats! I really really really like the M45. I went to the dealer preview for it and drove the 45 and it was great! It is a very very good bang for the buck... makes me feel like I over paied for the 545 but too late. I didnt know how GOODthe M45 was till I already got my 545 so oh wells. I do not regret my decision tho. I love the 545. I too think the 545 is better over all than the M45 but like you said $10K is steep price for the "better-ness"

P.S. MORE PICS PLEASE!!!! I saw the "extra" Pics on your site already.. still wanting more.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

congrats ! now i want to see pics of the rear view backup camera while you are backing up .
Old 03-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Members

The rear view back up monitor is pretty cool. I'm sure I will appreciate it more as I use it. But the truth is that I really like the front and rear park distance sensors on my wife's E60. But that's probably because I am more used to them. The M45 has no front sensors...
Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

DOH you're 47.5 miles away from me. I wanted to see the car in person.

Take some pics of the rear camrea... does it beep like the E60 where it tells you how close you are to things? cuz sometimes just seeing on camera you cant tell how close they are.

How good is the camera view? how much coverage? Wide angel lense?
Old 03-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Members

When I'm finished breaking in the car, let's swap for a day!
50 miles will only take a half hour in these cars!

No beeping from the rear view monitor. Just different color lines to show the distances. It is a very wide angle view. There are plenty of other things that beep in the M45. Like that silly lane departure warning system...
Old 03-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Senior Members

i think the lane departure warning system is another thing that we have to get used to. there is a possibility all the cars will have it in the future.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Contributors

I like the Lane Departure Warning system idea... I dont need it but MAN A LOT OF PEOPLE DO!!!!!!!!!!!! And its good for bragging rights.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wash n Wax' date='Mar 13 2005, 10:46 PM
When I'm finished breaking in the car, let's swap for a day!
50 miles will only take a half hour in these cars!
[snapback]101186[/snapback]

50 miles... 30 mins?!?!! I'm not sure I want to swap anymore...
Old 03-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Exclamation

Nice maxima with a V8!

Quick Reply: 2006 Infiniti M45 in my garage!