Buyer & Seller Feedback Post feedback about buyers and sellers doing business on the forums.

[timh] Flaky seller on Forum, buyer beware!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 525d

Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

[timh] Flaky seller on Forum, buyer beware!-butthurt-report-form.jpg
Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I like how there's a checkbox for LOLCat.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by 968turboS
Just an FYI for anyone who might be interested in purchasing things from timh. He was selling his 06 550i sport and we had a verbal agreement over the phone. On my way to meet him to give him a deposit, I was told someone else offered him more and tim wanted to show him the car. I found this behavior very unethical and did not expect that from another member. I am glad I didn't purchase the vehicle from him.
Buyer beware!
Regards.
Raj
I hear you bro - stuff like this hurts, but get over it.

Had a much worse experience earlier when I was buying my car, but it all turned out to go well. I left Boston at 5pm to drive 100+ miles to go see a car at the dealer. He calls me at 5:30 and says he needs all cash or bank-drafts (yea, like 26K cash). I get it by calling my bank manager who I knew personally. I reach there at 7pm - he gives me crap about not giving the title in a week or some other crap. I decide to walk away. He wants me to pay him to prepare all the paperwork. I throw the 200 bucks on his face and drive back. The dealership was Bladecki motors in New Hampshire.
Next week, I find a better deal and a much better guy who is selling a better car.

Ah and another experience this weekend when a guy whom I paid deposit for holding tires for me, sold it to someone else and emailed me to come take the deposit back. Sounds like fun eh?

So relax, sh*t happens and don't let your ego get hurt easily. In general, the people on this board are still much much better than the general public.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

dude you're being a punk about this for sure.
i had an expedition that i was selling a few years ago.
some guy offered me 7500 and i accepted, he said he'd stop by to pick it up on the weekend (it was monday).

I called him twice by Wed, he wouldnt call back or respond. Thursday morning came, and a new buyer came to my house with 6000 cash. Said thats all he had and would give it for the car.
I took the 6 grand. I took less money then what was offered. Why? Because the other offeror was not taking calls. Good thing I took the deal, the guy NEVER returned my call.

Money talks and bullshit walks. Now you know, when you KNOW you've found the one, pull those strings and make the deal happen that moment. You can't expect a personal seller to act like a dealership. All this "my word" "your word" i have ethics, i believe in handshakes type of talk is bullshittttttt.

thats all. Congrats to the new owner! I would have payed the asking price for this car no negotiating.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

I agree with the majority here and side with the seller (timh) and don't think he was acting totally unethically. Selling a used car is no easy feat, and the car usually gets sold to whoever delivers the cash/deposit first. You had given neither to the seller. Although he did say he would hold/sell the car for/to you, he was nice enough to notify you that someone else wanted to look at it with cash in hand which seemed to drive you into a hissy fit. I, personally, would understand, especially after buying and selling my fair share of used vehicles.

I would blame bad/unlucky timing in this situation. Most of the time when buying a used car, there aren't two sellers ready with cash within 12 or even 24 hours of each other like in your case (unless it's a remarkable deal in which case it's usually first with cash wins anyhow).

It also doesn't seem like you've sold many used cars before or were lucky enough to have great experiences. From my past experiences, I've received too many calls with the potential buyer on their way with a deposit or the cash and I told them I would hold the car for them. Lo' and behold, they never showed. And this happened more than a handful of times.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 M5

Originally Posted by 968turboS
Thanks guys. I am not surprised that a few see my POV while other's would do the same. I am glad it didn't work out. I don't want to do any business with people that lack ethics.
Your really hanging onto that moral/ethical strand with Timh...

geezzz... lol... give it up. Look at all the money you saved! LOL