Buyer & Seller Feedback Post feedback about buyers and sellers doing business on the forums.

[timh] Flaky seller on Forum, buyer beware!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010 | 03:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530i/2007 328i Coupe

Originally Posted by mookish
Money talks..bs walks. Period. I would have done the same thing.
You make my point precisely. I guess that's the way business is done where you live. Sad.........
Old 07-27-2010 | 12:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d

Think of it from the other side, the amount of assholes who say they are on their way to view/leave a deposit and dont ever show is scary. My motto usually is its fair game until cash changes hands.
Old 07-27-2010 | 12:11 AM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by pablo_ni
Think of it from the other side, the amount of assholes who say they are on their way to view/leave a deposit and dont ever show is scary. My motto usually is its fair game until cash changes hands.
+100
Old 07-27-2010 | 03:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Generally, this is not a "bad" behavior for a seller - to hold out for more money. But one thing I have to say I really feel Raj on, is the treatment we show to our fellow board members. I have come to regard forum members as "VIP", if you will - anyone, who's reputable on this forum is always a priority to me - be it a classified, a vendor, or a meet, or anything else. I've made extra considerations for people I've dealt with on this forum, and so have they for me - this is the type of environment I'd like to continue seeing on this forum.

At the same time, I can't really say that this story would preclude me from dealing with timh in the future - if his price is right and there's no evidence he's a thief, I'd buy stuff from him. I don't think he did anything wrong in this situation, aside from possibly very slightly leading Raj to believe they had some sort of a deal. But Raj, I too consider myself "old-school", and I'm big on "the power of a Man's word", but you can't blame the guy. You're absolutely within your rights to never want to deal with him again - that I totally understand. But don't get upset over this - these things happen when you're buying/selling cars. At least you didn't get screwed by some shady dealer, like Simon did, ya know...

Good Luck with the search! And I think you'll find an even better ride now
Old 07-27-2010 | 04:57 AM
Contributors

Thanks guys. I am not surprised that a few see my POV while other's would do the same. I am glad it didn't work out. I don't want to do any business with people that lack ethics.
Old 07-27-2010 | 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Dude, maybe you're still not getting it.

There is no emotional exchange here, it's a guy trying to sell a car for the most money that he can get. And you're a guy that's trying to buy the best car you want to spend. If you look at it plainly, at first you guys matched up, and then another buyer came along, offered him more money, and you're no longer a match. Let's assume that you are correct, and it's a max of $200 difference. If you still deemed that to be a good deal, you would've matched it anyway.

But you didn't. So basically that's that. He didn't take anything away from you, and precisely informed you when there is competition. Just relate it as if it was an auction. You "were" the highest bidder, but someone outbid you, you chose to sit out, that is all.
Old 07-27-2010 | 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Dude, maybe you're still not getting it.

There is no emotional exchange here, it's a guy trying to sell a car for the most money that he can get. And you're a guy that's trying to buy the best car you want to spend. If you look at it plainly, at first you guys matched up, and then another buyer came along, offered him more money, and you're no longer a match. Let's assume that you are correct, and it's a max of $200 difference. If you still deemed that to be a good deal, you would've matched it anyway.

But you didn't. So basically that's that. He didn't take anything away from you, and precisely informed you when there is competition. Just relate it as if it was an auction. You "were" the highest bidder, but someone outbid you, you chose to sit out, that is all.
This is EXACTLY what happened, and this guy was nice enough to inform you, some people just stop responding once their item is sold. Just because an item is not listed on ebay and there is an initial asking price, doesn't mean the seller isn't open to bids. If two people want the same car, it's not "well he asked first" it's "well what is your offer", and if the other guy makes a higher offer, he wins. For you to get upset is just sour grapes and means that you really wanted the car and maybe you should have put in a higher bid.

I've "stolen" cars from people by offering $500 more. That's what you do when you want something. And as a seller, no way I'm going to take less money from a stranger "just because".

I was going to buy a cf roof wing from a seller here and I called him, and he agreed to sell it to me but I couldn't make it that day, I told him tomorrow. When I called the next day he said "sorry, I sold it" I wasn't mad at him, I was upset with myself for waiting. He didn't lie, cheat, decieve or break some "word" It's first come first serve. Who knows what could have happened to me, I could have had an accident and or just changed my mind and he would have passed up on a sale for nothing. That's just the way it works.

Suck it up and keep searching...
Old 07-27-2010 | 09:30 AM
Contributors

I think it's you guys who are not getting it. My point was to make others aware of his business dealings. I am not looking for sympathy from anyone.
No need to make me "get it". I get it alright, just wanty to make sure others in the community are aware of what this person could do to them.
Old 07-27-2010 | 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Dude, what we're saying is that it's no big deal, and your idea that this thread is warranted is unnecessary.
Old 07-27-2010 | 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

For those who want to read the seller side of the story, go to post #16 of this thread.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/956...&#entry1213361

Quick Reply: [timh] Flaky seller on Forum, buyer beware!