Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Voice Phone Book available with NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

Hi, can someone answer a quick question for me. Can you use the "voice phone book" (NOT voice dialing)
function with a car that has NAV? I tried the instructions for storing an entry ("Save Name" etc.) but my car does not recognize the command. Someone previously posted that this function, which lets you create a separate phone book of voice controlled names/numbers, does not work on NAV equipped cars. Just want to confirm this before I drive my car off a cliff for not listening to my instructions.

By the way - isn't it unbelievable that cars with the amazing computing capabilites we have today are incapable of allowing you to manually create a simple phone book that can be utilized by ANY bluetooth enabled phone. If they can create an address book for the NAV system, why can't they do it for phones???? By the way, this is obviously not a problem unique to BMW. My new Lexus GX470 also has this shortcoming.

Two cars - three phones - two carriers - NONE OF THEM TALK TO EACH OTHER!

Rant off.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by A2 BMW' post='309537' date='Jul 11 2006, 04:01 PM
Hi, can someone answer a quick question for me. Can you use the "voice phone book" (NOT voice dialing)
function with a car that has NAV?
Are you trying to access your phone book from your phone? Then the answer is yes. You should and *most* non-crippled Bluetooth phones will allow you to do this. If you're trying to create a second phone book then I don't think so. I know it was possible in my non-Bluetooth enabled E39 but not in the BT cars. I'm not sure why this would be needed if you can import your existing phones phone book. FWIW, I have been able to import my telephones number list from two different phones on two different carriers.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='309543' date='Jul 11 2006, 04:29 PM
Are you trying to access your phone book from your phone? Then the answer is yes. You should and *most* non-crippled Bluetooth phones will allow you to do this. If you're trying to create a second phone book then I don't think so.
No - I am not trying to access the numbers on the phone, something I apparently can't do because my phonebook won't transfer from my phone (Sprint Samsung A900). What I am trying to do is a workaround that I thought I found in the BMW telephone sub-instruction manual that supposedly allows you to create a "voice phonebook" that is independant of the telephone's phonebook. When I go through the instructions to do this, voice command does not recognize the required command.

I also have a Sprint Treo 650 which does offer limited transfer of "favorites" phone numbers, but I would like to supplement that with the "voice phonebook.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d SE, Black Dakota, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by A2 BMW' post='309551' date='Jul 11 2006, 10:06 PM
No - I am not trying to access the numbers on the phone, something I apparently can't do because my phonebook won't transfer from my phone (Sprint Samsung A900). What I am trying to do is a workaround that I thought I found in the BMW telephone sub-instruction manual that supposedly allows you to create a "voice phonebook" that is independant of the telephone's phonebook. When I go through the instructions to do this, voice command does not recognize the required command.

I also have a Sprint Treo 650 which does offer limited transfer of "favorites" phone numbers, but I would like to supplement that with the "voice phonebook.

Thanks.
Have you tried saying 'help'? This should list the valid commands that you can use.