Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Verizon v710 works with 2005 X5 - same module?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 03:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reportedly with the new software, the v710 works with 2005 X5 - including phonebook transfer. Does the e60 have the same module?

Has anyone tried it yet? It looks like the new software is not available everywhere yet but if someone has got it to work I would love to hear about it. I will have to pay full retail so I will probably go through an on-line dealer so I don't want to worry about returning it....
Old 12-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Dec 12 2004, 05:40 AM
Reportedly with the new software, the v710 works with 2005 X5 - including phonebook transfer. Does the e60 have the same module?

Has anyone tried it yet? It looks like the new software is not available everywhere yet but if someone has got it to work I would love to hear about it. I will have to pay full retail so I will probably go through an on-line dealer so I don't want to worry about returning it....
[snapback]68214[/snapback]
I don't plan on trying non verizon software. One report I heard was that this new flash drains the battery faster than it already drains.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 12 2004, 10:27 AM
[quote name='300TTto545' date='Dec 12 2004, 05:40 AM']Reportedly with the new software, the v710 works with 2005 X5 - including phonebook transfer. Does the e60 have the same module?

[snapback]68214[/snapback]
I don't plan on trying non verizon software. One report I heard was that this new flash drains the battery faster than it already drains.
[snapback]68280[/snapback]
[/quote]

True - I've read the reports but this last news is that on Verizon's own new software it appears to work.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Dec 12 2004, 12:32 PM
True - I've read the reports but this last news is that on Verizon's own new software it appears to work.
[snapback]68303[/snapback]
Where did you hear the news? Do you know of anyone who has an official Verizon firmware release and where did they get it?
Old 12-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I called a store today. Also called Radio Shack. The rep at the VZW store said they are expecting someting in January. I will port my number to Cingular early next week.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Contributors

All done! I ported my number today. I called Verizon before doing this and had them credit me $125 towards the early termination charge. Tomorrow I will return the crappy V710 to RadioShack for store credit. Nice place to have store credit around Christmas!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 15 2004, 02:28 AM
All done!?? I ported my number today.? I called Verizon before doing this and had them credit me $125 towards the early termination charge.?? Tomorrow I will return the crappy V710 to RadioShack for store credit.?? Nice place to have store credit around Christmas!
[snapback]69238[/snapback]
I figured you would. Monday I am set to take my car in for the Bluetooth software upgrade (sounds like how Paul Harding's post began). I'll let them pair the car with the phone and then I will overnight my phone to one of the Verizon stores that has the V710 patch to fix the phone. Some stores do this as part of the Verizon testing, most don't.

After Christmas, I will check out the Motorola V3 RAZR for comparison. If it's much better than the V710, I'll consider fighting Verizon to get out of a 3 user Family Share contract and buying 3 phones, but obviously that is a much costlier choice. If not for that situation, I would already be with Cingular like you are.

I'll post all of the details as soon as I know the results.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Dec 18 2004, 02:46 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 15 2004, 02:28 AM']All done!?? I ported my number today.? I called Verizon before doing this and had them credit me $125 towards the early termination charge.?? Tomorrow I will return the crappy V710 to RadioShack for store credit.?? Nice place to have store credit around Christmas!
[snapback]69238[/snapback]
I figured you would. Monday I am set to take my car in for the Bluetooth software upgrade (sounds like how Paul Harding's post began). I'll let them pair the car with the phone and then I will overnight my phone to one of the Verizon stores that has the V710 patch to fix the phone. Some stores do this as part of the Verizon testing, most don't.

After Christmas, I will check out the Motorola V3 RAZR for comparison. If it's much better than the V710, I'll consider fighting Verizon to get out of a 3 user Family Share contract and buying 3 phones, but obviously that is a much costlier choice. If not for that situation, I would already be with Cingular like you are.

I'll post all of the details as soon as I know the results.
[snapback]70302[/snapback]
[/quote]

One significant advantage that the GSM phone has over the V710 is battery life. When using a BT headset, I had to close the headset to break the BT session when I was not using the phone. This was to prevent draining the battery. If your wife spends 3 hours and day in the car and speaks on the phone for just 1/2 hr, the V710 will drain down to one bar. Even though I have a car charger in the glove box for my RAZR, I have yet needed to plug it in. The battery consumption is very low on the RAZR. I have had few service problems with Cingular and the service is only improving daily. They have two projects in process due to be completed by March in Los Angeles area.

1. Switch the ATT GSM sites to Cingular. This should make the send off a little smoother from one site to the next. I can see this happening becuase whereas the RAZR on its own does not indicate this, the Signal strength on I-Dive shows a triangle when I am on an ATT site. These show up less and less.

2. Convert some old TDMA sites to GSM. As this happens I will have service where I didn't before as the RAZR is a GSM phone.

All in all I an very happy with the RAZR and its size and the full functionality with the E60. I also need to use it a GPRS (Edge) modem, and this works great with my BT laptop.

Also for what its worth Cingular lets you add a line for $9.99 per month. So you can have one plan with say 200 minutes and share the minutes between 3 phones. I know you already have the investment in the CDMA handsets, but you can probably sell them on Ebay and recoup the investment in Cingular phones within a year with the monthly savings. Except for the RAZR ofcourse. But they have cheaper Motorola BT phones that are also compatible.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 18 2004, 09:35 PM
One significant advantage that the GSM phone has over the V710 is battery life.? When using a BT headset,? I had to close the headset to break the BT session when I was not using the phone.? This was to prevent draining the battery.?? If your wife spends 3 hours and day in the car and speaks on the phone for just 1/2 hr,? the V710 will drain down to one bar.? Even though I have a car charger in the glove box for my RAZR,? I have yet needed to plug it in.?? The battery consumption is very low on the RAZR.?? I have had few service problems with Cingular and the service is only improving daily.?? They have two projects in process due to be completed by March in Los Angeles area.

1. Switch the ATT GSM sites to Cingular.? This should make the send off a little smoother from one site to the next.?? I can see this happening becuase whereas the RAZR on its own does not indicate this,? the Signal strength on I-Dive shows a triangle when I am on an ATT site.?? These show up less and less.

2.? Convert some old TDMA sites to GSM.?? As this happens I will have service where I didn't before as the RAZR is a GSM phone.

All in all I an very happy with the RAZR and its size and the full functionality with the E60.?? I also need to use it a GPRS (Edge) modem,? and this works great with my BT laptop.

Also for what its worth Cingular lets you add a line for $9.99 per month.?? So you can have one plan with say 200 minutes and share the minutes between 3 phones.?? I know you already have the investment in the CDMA handsets,? but you can probably sell them on Ebay and recoup the investment in Cingular phones within a year with the monthly savings.? Except for the RAZR ofcourse.? But they have cheaper Motorola BT phones that are also compatible.
[snapback]70381[/snapback]
I have heard nothing but good news about the V3 RAZR and the V551, about their compatability with BMW Bluetooth.