Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Two bluetooth phones for one user

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I need two phones from different carriers. I will use one as my primary phone, which works best in my home town and the other in an area where my primary one does not work... which is about 1.5 hours of travel each way on a trip. Can you use I-drive to select which phone you want to be connected. I think the car will select to connect to what you designate as the primary phone. But when I reach this dead area can I choose to disconnect my primary phone and connect the other one. Or, will I have to turn the primary phone off, which is less than desirable.

My plan is to keep the secondary phone in the glove compartment and turn in on when I hit this dead area. I would like to leave the primary one on for some reason. Maybe I should just turn it off. The secondary phone will be a different number.

Both phones will be Razrs, one Cingular and one Alltell.

I hope what I am asking makes sense. Is there a better way to accomplish what I want?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Yes you can select the phones i have two paired, one from Verizon (a razor) and one from Netlos (a 710) and although you can only use one at a time, what u do is push down on the idrive knob select the communication menue select bluetooth and then you select phones, you will see all the paired devices, highlight the one you want and select move up. Once you do that hit the menue button to clear that screen and then go to the communications screen at the top arrow you will see the car searching for the phone you justed moved up and then you are on. The only draw back is that the phone that you moved up will be the dominent one until you do it again, or just turn off that phone and the other will pair
Old 05-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

What buddy said is exactly right. You have the option of changing the priority of phones if they're both available to the car by moving one phone up the list. Sometimes, it's just easier to turn one phone off and turn the other one on (or, you can simply turn BT off on the phone you don't want to use but keep the phone powered up in case you need it to receive calls.)

The only real drawback to either of these methods, at least for me, is that Murphy's law usually kicks in and causes whatever phone isn't active to be the one that someone calls...
Old 05-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='287785' date='May 25 2006, 07:10 PM
The only real drawback to either of these methods, at least for me, is that Murphy's law usually kicks in and causes whatever phone isn't active to be the one that someone calls...
Thanks buddy and Rudy. Seems easy enough. Rudy, your example is what I see as the only drawback...but at least where I plan to use phone 2 the service is so bad I wouldn't be able to talk on it anyway, but may see where someone tried to call.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Funny Rudy that same law comes into play with me also. So what i have been doing is i have a bluetooth head set on my ear for my razor and i let the car pair with my 710 only because has unlimited minuets on it and dont worry about call times. Now that does change on weekends since its free with Verizon and Verizon just works every where. So which ever is not working in the car is on my ear.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

I have 2 phones registered with the car's bluetooth and found it easiest to just toggle the bluetooth on/off function on the phones depending on which one I want to be paired with the car. That way calls will still come through to both just that one will not be connected with the car.

--
Przemek
Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Contributors

I also go back and forth between a Treo 650 and a RAZR and I do it thru i drive with no issues what so ever.