Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Question about iphone retrofit with Dension

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Newbie question about the iphone retrofit for my E60. I have an 2004 525I and just the standard cd player w/ no Navi or bluetooth capability.

Q1 :I wanna know if Dension gateway 500 with the bluetooth attachment will it show contact number on my idrive and if someone calls in will I be able to answer it where it goes thru my car speaker?

Q2 : With the Dension gateway 500 and attachment AVR will I be able to use the Iphone internet and have it appear on the Idrive screen?

Q3 : With the Dension and the attachments installed will it be required for an Dealer reprogramming?

I'm new to the Whole retrofit thing and dont understand how the dension work with E60 that dont have NAV or Bluetooth capability, Any help or clarification on the whole retrofit would be much apppreciated.

Jack
Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Jack,

I'm gonna try what I know... so don't shoot me if my answer is what you want

A1: Chk out member kekkos http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=691844

A2: Since its not out yet (AFAIK) I think it's only for the video portion of iPod (maybe for video from iPhone too) but I don't think re-direct the iPod/iPhone screen to iDrive screen via AVR.

A3: Yes, dealer have to enable it. The way I did mine, since I don't have CDC module (just the cable prepped) I told the dealer to pick iPod retrofit and +/- 65 secs. I watched the whole re-programming concluded w/o any hitch.

I don't have NAV too, so I plug everything and tucked all the wiring in the glove box then told them to do iPod retrofit re-programming and that's it, BMW SSS (their programming workstation) equipment saw the GW500 as their iPod interface.

As for operation it's like CDC on the iDrive, mainly on CD#5 and you get the GW500 sub-menu to access aux-in, USB & iPod http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=669949

Let me know if I can be more help... GL!

--
Rival.

Originally Posted by Cwest' post='735098' date='Nov 30 2008, 05:46 PM
Newbie question about the iphone retrofit for my E60. I have an 2004 525I and just the standard cd player w/ no Navi or bluetooth capability.

Q1 :I wanna know if Dension gateway 500 with the bluetooth attachment will it show contact number on my idrive and if someone calls in will I be able to answer it where it goes thru my car speaker?

Q2 : With the Dension gateway 500 and attachment AVR will I be able to use the Iphone internet and have it appear on the Idrive screen?

Q3 : With the Dension and the attachments installed will it be required for an Dealer reprogramming?

I'm new to the Whole retrofit thing and dont understand how the dension work with E60 that dont have NAV or Bluetooth capability, Any help or clarification on the whole retrofit would be much apppreciated.

Jack
Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I have a couple questions to add:

Will the Dension allow me control my iPod through I-Drive?
Is it possible to control the video menu on my iPod through I-Drive?
Does USB support video?
And most importantly, any installers who are local to SoCal and have experience working on E60's?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yes you have full control of your iPod from iDrive & steering wheel, some links w/ pics:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=547906 on NAV and
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=669949 std non-NAV

I think so when they release their AVR module and display it on the iDrive screen or maybe now w/ their IVE100 extender to an ext. display via RCA video feed (or to iDrive screen but will require video input capability via ACM or NAV-TV).

I don't think the USB support video.

Check w/ member FANTASTIC 5, there where I got mine from.

GL!

--
Rival.

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='735703' date='Dec 2 2008, 05:08 AM
I have a couple questions to add:

Will the Dension allow me control my iPod through I-Drive?
Is it possible to control the video menu on my iPod through I-Drive?
Does USB support video?
And most importantly, any installers who are local to SoCal and have experience working on E60's?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The Dension AVR will simulate the TV module to push the video into the iDrive screen. So should not need the ACM or the NAV-TV. The current IVE1000 gives you RCA outs to put into something like the ACM. So you will need your car coded for TV.

The Dension BT module simulates the BMW TCU so will give you the numbers on the screen but you will need your car coded for BT.

The iPOD can only display video via its outputs so it wont give you the internet on the screen. But you will have control of the ipod and videos via the iDrive.

USB is audio support only for the moment. But this may change with the introduction of the AVR.

If you are using the base Gateway you dont need any more coding if you have the CDC or the iPOD MOST coded already.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

So if I were to buy the Dension unit member FANTASTIC 5 sells, what functionality would I get from it? Will my software on the car need to be flashed? I do not have a CD changer or any sign of an optical line, just power.
Question about iphone retrofit with Dension-img_7601.jpg
Question about iphone retrofit with Dension-img_7603.jpg
Question about iphone retrofit with Dension-img_7598.jpg
Question about iphone retrofit with Dension-img_7599.jpg
Old 12-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Out of the box when you get the GW500 you'll get iPod, USB & AUXin via RCA controlled via iDrive.

The car main software doesn't have to be flash upgrade but the dealer have to do the iPod integration via retrofit menu but depend on the dealer they may upgrade the whole thing before the retrofit.

I think you have CDC prep. exactly like me & the optical line is currently in closed loop (otherwise the iDrive will error out w/ SOS malfunction when in the car in motion). the optical line is the other wrapped thicker cable in pic. #2 & #3 as in http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=692736, in there you'll find the jumper block.

When you get the GW500 unit install & configure it as an iPod interface and you are set.

Let me know if you need more detail.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='735785' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:01 AM
The Dension AVR will simulate the TV module to push the video into the iDrive screen. So should not need the ACM or the NAV-TV. The current IVE1000 gives you RCA outs to put into something like the ACM. So you will need your car coded for TV.

The Dension BT module simulates the BMW TCU so will give you the numbers on the screen but you will need your car coded for BT.

The iPOD can only display video via its outputs so it wont give you the internet on the screen. But you will have control of the ipod and videos via the iDrive.

USB is audio support only for the moment. But this may change with the introduction of the AVR.

If you are using the base Gateway you dont need any more coding if you have the CDC or the iPOD MOST coded already.

I dont know if I have CDC, Is there a way to tell if you have CDC already equiped.

And as for the internet on the iphone it wont show on the idrive screen your saying bruce? I know you probably cant control the internet interface with the idrive, but can you still view it on the Idrive screen?

How is coded done at the dealer? is it like an reflash? And if the car didnt come with the TCU originally will the dealer be able to code the vehicle? Then once coded with the Bluetooth option will i be able to use bluetooth where call will direct thru idrive and car speaker?

Jack
Old 12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

To view what is being displayed on the iphone the iPhone needs to have a display out feature which I dont believe it has. All it has is a normal video out which is active only when iPOD video are played.

Coding is done by the dealer and they basically program the car with more features than it came from the factory.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='736635' date='Dec 2 2008, 11:38 PM
To view what is being displayed on the iphone the iPhone needs to have a display out feature which I dont believe it has. All it has is a normal video out which is active only when iPOD video are played.

Coding is done by the dealer and they basically program the car with more features than it came from the factory.
Ah i see now thanks for clarifying that bruce.