Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iphone downfalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='441404' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:03 PM
I give the iPhone a Big Thumbs Up for what it "can do now". It will also significantly improve the GUI's from the other handset manufacturers or they will face extinction.

I believe we will see a bandwidth logjam on the Cingular end over the next couple of weeks as so many iPhone users start trying to surf the internet on their spotty Edge Network. It will probably cause some negative press at first as many people will be disgruntled and wanting to take their iPhone back.
I totally agree with So Cal! for "everything Jobs" and then some!

As for Cingular/AT&T logjams and negative press - another possibility to get the Apple stock at lower price!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='441330' date='Jun 29 2007, 04:30 PM
... You won't find many brand and marketing professionals who agree with you on this one.
I'd like to see this, back up by arguments.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='441529' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:50 PM
I'd like to see this, back up by arguments.

Seeing as it was you raised the point that Sony were "better" at marketing than Apple - that ball is largely in your court.

I will simply say this - when was the last time any Sony product created as much mainstream media coverage and profile as the iPhone or any new iPod release?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='441532' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:58 PM

Seeing as it was you raised the point that Sony were "better" at marketing than Apple - that ball is largely in your court.

I will simply say this - when was the last time any Sony product created as much mainstream media coverage and profile as the iPhone or any new iPod release?
Only sony product I can think of would be the Sony PS3. People waiting in lines for days to get one.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='441544' date='Jun 29 2007, 05:41 PM
Only sony product I can think of would be the Sony PS3. People waiting in lines for days to get one.
And yet for the last few months I've seen pallets of PS3's at my local BestBuy while the Wii is always sold out.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

The wii is fun to play, hard to find one of those.

PS3 is priced too high.

But it did get a lot of press on release.

Online article: The $599 Hype: Sony Playstation3 vs Apple iPhone
http://www.juxar.com/06-20-2007/The_%24599...s_Apple_iPhone/
Old 06-30-2007, 05:00 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='441186' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:14 AM
Looks like I struck a nerve. Just saying wait and buy the iphone2 or later. Get bugs worked out. Plus I do believe the later ipod versions kill the original.

People that are rabid e-mailers or texters will not like keyboard-free design.
It is not a good solution for business users, which make up almost all of the segment of pda/smarphone users.
This thing will not even come close to ipod unit sales, no chance.

Two probs. I hope they address:
Whats with the non-removable battery, thats a crock. On long business trips I always carry an additional battery with my Blackberry which has identical talk time.

Add expansion slot, or just more memory in general.

Article from Forbes (06.11.07), is that big enough publication for you bud:
http://www.forbes.com/wireless/2007/06/08/...iphonemain.html
For what it's worth, there is a Microsoft Exchange menu in the email client and, when I configured it, I was able to successfully send/receive email using my corporate email account. I think the rumor sites got that one wrong unless I'm completely nuts (which is highly possible! <grin>).

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by bceverly' post='441783' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:00 AM
For what it's worth, there is a Microsoft Exchange menu in the email client and, when I configured it, I was able to successfully send/receive email using my corporate email account. I think the rumor sites got that one wrong unless I'm completely nuts (which is highly possible! <grin>).

Thanks,
Bryan
This isn't full Exchange support...it's Exchange email via IMAP. This is fine, but it's not the complete Exchange suite of functionality. Exchange support will be coming to iPhone in the near future via ActiveSync: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=534
Old 06-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='441532' date='Jun 29 2007, 11:58 PM

Sony=quality. That's been very well known all the time. Their sales speak for themselves, and the fact that they managed to infiltrate in almost any electronic device with great success (lcd, computers, notebooks, players, cameras, hi-fi, and i can go on till nightfall) is enough evidence for me for a great marketing plan/department. If that's not evidence i dunno what it is?!

Making a stirr about a new phone that will revolutionize the world is something but not enough. Yeah Ipod sold, Iphone probably will to but wait 1 year or so and then we'll see. And besides computers (debateable) and Ipod, what else does Apple really exceed at?

Sorry, i'm the type of guy that's ready to give away some gadetry like the full touch screen, for more usability. After carefull consideration i think i'll go with the SE W960. But final verdict will come when i'll have both phones in my hand. And in the phone industry i dunno what producers builds better phones than SE (as in quality of the materials used).

Some comments from gsmarena.com:

"Thanks SE!!! I had just saved up a lousy $600 dollars to get myself an iphone because i needed 8GB memory. I hate the N91. It is definitely a billion times better than the iphone. I need a keypad that works with good old buttons and not a virtual keyboard which will be a pain to text. And i love to use a stylus more than my fingers. I am getting this as soon as it comes out. It has got a 3.2 Mp cam. Oh my god is this an extraordinary item!!!"
------------------------------------------------
"i have been praying for the day that Sony Ericsson would create a phone that is like the iphone but way, way much better: with 3G, FM Radio and improved camera. and that day is coming true so soon. oooh.. thank you so much SE!"
" "I was going to upgrade to a iphone until i saw this HIGH QUALITY phone. crap the iphone and the n95 the mobile king is coming soon."

WORD!

Only thing I would have wanted more was hsdpa but I have decided to have ha hsdpa usb adapter instead to the laptop. This phone realy is a wet dream. Can't wait to get my hands on it."
"ultimate iphone competitor. 8gb memory. touchscreen. symbian os! 3.2 mp camera with autofocus. iphone only has 2 and no autofocus. the only thing this phone lacks that iphone has is the size of screen. otherwise this phone rocks! again another phone that tops all others by SE.

and for all you who wanted that iphone but cant get it bec its only available by cingular with a 2year contract...this is why this is also a better choice."

"the iphone is for the cool crowd, if you think that apple is the best, then fair enough. but there is no denying that this phone is awesome and has a proper keypad, innovate scroll wheel and a touchscreen. this is your phone, music player and camera all in one. if there is only one phone apple should be worried about, it is this one. superb, i think nokia will release a similar model, but this is definitely something i would buy."

"further more, since the iphone 's only has a 3.5mm jack for its headset, if you use your own headphone, then you will be unable to make calls with your own headset. with the w960, one can use his own headphone with the remote which has an imbedded headphone. the remote can be seen in one of the pictures one GSMarena"

-----------------------------------------------

I dunno, as i saw from GSMArena, the ratings for this phone are better than Iphone and from all the comments i've read from both phones i think people dig the SE more. But as i said final verdict is when i'll have both phones (make it three SE P1 also) in my hand.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I think it's funny how everyone is trying to talk themselves out of an iPhone or talk themselves into how much it sucks. No one is forcing anyone to get an iPhone, but if they'd use one for two seconds, or even watch any of the demo videos, or read reviews from anyone who has actually used the phone, they'd see that on the whole it's a breakthrough device. You can sit iPhone next to any number of other devices and say that some spec or another is better than iPhone, or carp about the lack of 3G or GPS in the first rev product, etc., but that is all completely and utterly missing the point of what makes the iPhone so great. It's not about specs and acronyms to most people. It's about having a device that is easy and pleasant to use with a beautiful and functional user interface on a huge screen. And that's what iPhone is, regardless of any specs whatsoever.

Quick Reply: iphone downfalls