Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iphone downfalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yup, it seems as if we have two different preachers preaching to two different choirs...
Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think both sides can agree that for a first time phone maker, Apple has generated lots of interest in this revision A device. And people are buying the product. AT&T seems to have a backlog of activations right now and I am interested in seeing the number of new sign-ups AT&T has had for this phone.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by das' post='441901' date='Jun 30 2007, 11:46 AM
I think it's funny how everyone is trying to talk themselves out of an iPhone or talk themselves into how much it sucks. No one is forcing anyone to get an iPhone, but if they'd use one for two seconds, or even watch any of the demo videos, or read reviews from anyone who has actually used the phone, they'd see that on the whole it's a breakthrough device. You can sit iPhone next to any number of other devices and say that some spec or another is better than iPhone, or carp about the lack of 3G or GPS in the first rev product, etc., but that is all completely and utterly missing the point of what makes the iPhone so great. It's not about specs and acronyms to most people. It's about having a device that is easy and pleasant to use with a beautiful and functional user interface on a huge screen. And that's what iPhone is, regardless of any specs whatsoever.
I just would rather wait for a later version of the iphone. Like the ipod better versions are to come. Spending $600 on a device that will no doubt be updated in 1 year, 2 years max just bothers me. Plus I switched from AT&T/Cingular beginning of this year, their customer service just pissed me off and I could never get service in buildings or my home, even with three different phones. So I would find it hard to switch back to their service.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='441964' date='Jun 30 2007, 03:50 PM
I just would rather wait for a later version of the iphone. Like the ipod better versions are to come. Spending $600 on a device that will no doubt be updated in 1 year, 2 years max just bothers me. Plus I switched from AT&T/Cingular beginning of this year, their customer service just pissed me off and I could never get service in buildings or my home, even with three different phones. So I would find it hard to switch back to their service.

Cingular just plain sucks.

The iPhone is a technological marvel. There is no more disputing this.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones/apple...tml?tag=nl.e729

Is it worth $600 if you aren't a Cingular user?

Absolutely not!

Will it be worth it when it's:

___3G/4G-
___Cingular dramatically upgrades their 3/4 G Infrastructure in North America-
___They offer a Swappable Battery and Removeable Sim Card

Absolutely positively.

The big question is who(if anyone)will beat them to market with the things the iPhone isn't right now?

You can bet your bottom dollar that by X-Mas the 2nd GEN iPhone will have all of these things. It will still be a tough decision to switch in LA as Cingular's cell service is garbage.

So Cal
Old 06-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='441978' date='Jun 30 2007, 07:21 PM
Will it be worth it when it's:

___3G/4G-
___Cingular dramatically upgrades their 3/4 G Infrastructure in North America-
___They offer a Swappable Battery and Removeable Sim Card
The SIM card is removable already. You only need a paper clip to the little hole at the top next to the phone jack and the SIM tray slides out.

The battery may be swappable if you're brave. There are people who have already taken their iPhones apart.

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/iphone...ge/iphone05.jpg
Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i
Exclamation

Originally Posted by swajames' post='441106' date='Jun 28 2007, 04:42 PM
And yet.... The thing will fly off the shelves. Go back and look at the negative press the iPod got upon its initial release. It's now sold over 100 million units. As for your "just about every publication" observation - that's just bullshit. You'll find way more positive press - if you choose to look.

As for the links you posted:
  • At least one - in the first sentence - positions itself as a counterpoint to all the positive coverage (never mind the fact that it's close to six month old...)
  • The TUAW link is from an Apple weblog and isn't even a negative article.
  • The Jud Stephenson blog is very obviously satirical, and was posted on April Fool's Day (it's pretty funny)
  • The Switched link was from 6/26 - before any reviews were in. Here's a more recent post - also from Switched...
  • The Intomobile page you posted - is from the middle of March. Before anyone outside Apple had any meaningful time with the product.
  • The date of the Cnet blog you dug up? Jan 11.
I hate to jump in on this one. But all hell. I've had Cingular (now ATT) for the last three years. Service hasn't been that bad but nothing to jump up and down about. However, I was just your typical mobile phone user--just made and received calls, sent the occasional mms and text. I didn't subscribe to a data plan or have a pda. IHowever, my first business trip to San Diego is where the real problem started. Every call during the trip was a fast busy-when all trunks are busy. After three days of fustration, switched my service to Verizon in June. I got the pocket pc and high spreed internet. The quality in service-in terms of customer service and call quality is amazing. There is no comparison. Verizon is in a different level.

When the IPOD release date approached--June 29--I thought about porting my number back and getting the IPHONE. Until that is, a local news report on KTLA mentioned all the issues in previous posts--built in battery, no expansion slot, and Att/Cingular's "dial up" internet connection. In Los Angeles anyways, you have to travel to downtown to connect to the 3G network. My desire to own the IPHONE died at that point. Why:

Verizon--better voice quality and customer service. Highspeed broadband connection practically everywhere.
ATT--Must travel to downtown LA to use 3G service.

It's a no brainer for me at this point. Not until ATT upgrades/improves their network and the IPHONE address the issues other posters have mentioned.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

I agree "BOBUCRUZ" Verizon call quality is the best, no doubt.

I lived in So Cal when I had AT&T/Cingular, I don't know why but the service was horrible. I lived in a high rise building on the beach, the only way to get a signal was to go onto my balcony and even then it wasn't full strength. At work or at my college there was absolutely no signal inside any building. I tried three phones all different brands and there was never any improvement in signal. It was very frustrating. I don't know what Apple's contract is like with AT&T/Cingular, but they should consider offering their phone with other carriers.