Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Help! Any suggestion to buy a new phone??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting a new phone. Until now, I was using BJ2, and I loved it. I was useful for everything i needed so far. Yes it lacked some features like Wifi, etc...

But now I need help deciding if I should get another WM phone or iPhone and should it be a touch screen or not? In fact, I have searched it at ebay and sourcinggate, but it has too many mobile phones and finally I haven?t make any decision on it.

Some of my major concerns is that it should have the following:

-Threaded SMS (my BJ2 was running WM 6.1 and it had threaded SMS)
-Be able to sync with outlook
-Be able to backup my SMS, and call history to my computer

Any suggestions on what phone i should get?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Members

Hi! I was in the same predicament as you are, around a month ago. I had used the Nokia E51 for the longest time, as I simply loved it. Just loved it. I would suggest you answer the following:

a) What is your nature of business and does it require you to be constantly accessible over email where you MUST reply within minutes or hours? Or can it wait for you to get to the office the next morning and you reply then? Ofcourse- you will surely get mail on most phones, but that determines whether we consider the BB or not. You may know- Pull/Fetch mails results in huge battery consumption over push.

b) What are your talktimes like? Typical or heavy?

c) DO you enjoy playing games or would like the flexibility of having various applications? Or are you indifferent about this?

d) Do you prefer small, slim phones or would typical smartphone size (eg iPhone/BB/etc) be acceptable?

Answer these 4 qns and I'll try and give you my 2 cents on this issue.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I absolutely LOVE my Motorola Droid!!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
I absolutely LOVE my Motorola Droid!!
Me too. Motorola Droid FTW.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 02" Porsche Carrera 911

for Business, fast email ect,,,BlackBerry, for fun, iphone
Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Grey/Black leather 535xi - Premium, Ipod, Cold Weather, Dinan Stage 2, Sprintbooster

Check out any of the HTC devices, particularly the Touch Pro 2. Also be very wary of touchscreen input only devices if you're using it for business. Most people I know who have tried to go that route (iPhone, BB Storm, etc...) have returned them and gone back to a hard keyboard.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by tarek307
for Business, fast email ect,,,BlackBerry, for fun, iphone
I couldn't agree more than for business email use, there is still no substitute for Blackberry. The real keyboards of the Bold and the Tour are a million times better for preparing emails (especially long ones) than the touch screen keyboars. I use my Droid's hard keyboard for short, personal emails but even that keyboard is no match for the BB's keyboard. I'm a serial emailer (100-300 emails sent or/received per day) and there is just no substitute for a real, physical keyboard if you are a heavy user. Moreover, although the Droid can plug into my firm's Exchange server, the Droid does not recognize Outlook subfolders as subfolders. So when I tried to access my work Outlook folders from the Droid, I'd get, for example, dozens of folders saying "depositions" "pleadings", etc., when in fact, they were subfolders tied to a particular matter.

But the BB sucks for web browsing. iPhone or Driod is the way to go for web browsing.

Given the above, I carry 2 devices, Driod for phone, web browsing, text message and navigation (Google Map simply rocks) and BB for email. I sure do wish that there was one killer device that would suit all of my needs. But if there is, I haven't found it yet. What I want is the real keyboard and email intergration of the BB with the web browing capabilities of the iPhone or Droid. If, one day, BB actually makes a device with a real keyboard AND an awesome web brower that works with the Verizon wireless network, I would get it and just run with one device. Until that day comes, I am a 2 device user.