Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Going in for bluetooth retrofit tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camquest' date='Nov 19 2004, 07:07 PM
Why was the previous post from a "guest" and not listed at "discount-eyewear"???
[snapback]58271[/snapback]
Yeah, that seems a bit odd. Discount-Eyewear, can you give us an update (with actual login)?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Members

BUMP

Last attempt -- Discount-Eyewear, are you still out there? Any info?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Members

My Ride: '08 550i, carbon black, sport package

It sounds like those of us with pre-march '04 builds would have to have the TCU unit replaced completely. As has been posted in previous messages, it seems that March 04 builds have a slightly different TCU unit.

I still am curious about the fact that March 04 builds were also the first to have Nav installed at the factory. My November 03 build had the nav prep and I had my dealership do the nav retrofit in June. It seems to me that my car is now equipped similar to the March 04 cars including the use of voice command (one of the other bt posts said that they could only get one-way conversation and there was no connection for the mic on the TCU). That makes me wonder if the TCU in my car is now similar to that of a March 04 build and should allow for the software only BT upgrade.

Any opinions? If no one has a solid answer, I will contact my dealership when I can find the time.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by camquest' date='Nov 21 2004, 11:19 PM
It sounds like those of us with pre-march '04 builds would have to have the TCU unit replaced completely. As has been posted in previous messages, it seems that March 04 builds have a slightly different TCU unit.

I still am curious about the fact that March 04 builds were also the first to have Nav installed at the factory. My November 03 build had the nav prep and I had my dealership do the nav retrofit in June. It seems to me that my car is now equipped similar to the March 04 cars including the use of voice command (one of the other bt posts said that they could only get one-way conversation and there was no connection for the mic on the TCU). That makes me wonder if the TCU in my car is now similar to that of a March 04 build and should allow for the software only BT upgrade.

Any opinions? If no one has a solid answer, I will contact my dealership when I can find the time.
[snapback]59186[/snapback]
As I understand the issue for the pre-March 04 cars is with the wiring harness and the TCU. Both would need to be replaced. From an unofficial comment from a knowledgeable BMW engineer in Germany, to replace these components is extremely difficult and time consuming. Meaning it is very expensive. The other challenge with this approach is that it could cause other unanticipated problems with the cars electronics. I am not optimistic about the pre-March 04 e60s. The best way to find out is for your dealer to call BMW with your car's VIN.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

My car is in again for service (has been there for over a week now), and I asked them about the Bluetooth, and they said it was impossible. I have a very early build car.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530I Prem Package, Cold Weather, Prem Sound, Bluetooth and Sat.

Well let see what happens, mine is in today for a Bluetooth upgrade... I have a 08/04 build.. I miss that car already.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by camquest' date='Nov 22 2004, 12:19 AM
[snapback]59186[/snapback]
This is incorrect. Jan 04 builds were the first to have NAV installed at the factory. This was a big issue which kept me waiting in the past and finally I ordered my car with NAV as a Jan build. The TCU unit has nothing to do with NAV. Unfortunately I think we're out of luck, atleast for the time being. I'm sure someone somewhere will figure something out.

I think people have removed BMW Assist somehow and installed bluetooth somehow on our earlier build cars but I'm not sure about the details there.

We'll see. Hoping for the best!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Members

Changing the TCU and Harness is not an option for us with pre March '04 e60s...see my previous post:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=4647
Old 11-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004/04 production, Titan Silver Metallic, Leder Dakota Upholsery/Grau 60, Sports suspension, Active steering, Dynamic drive, Heated Steering wheel, Emergency wheel, Satin chrome, Glass Roof, Sunblinds front & rear, Healight washer, Int/ext Anti-dazzle mirrors, smokers package, comfort & heated seats, PDC, 18" Wheels 124 w/Dunlop Mixed runflats, Adaptive headlights, Xenon Lights, Active Cruise Control, Blue tooth sony/erricson, Pro Navigation, Head Up Dispay, Voice input system, 6 Cd changer, HIFI Professional. M-Sport Tec Kit & spoiler conversion, Cip 18.1

Originally Posted by cwoarmy' date='Nov 18 2004, 03:45 AM
A dozen forum members have also chimed in but since I too have a pre 03 - 04 model, I would be interested and depending on your location in Florida, I would consider driving to the dealership for bluetooth upgrade.? Any information would be helpful to a lot of us.
[snapback]57618[/snapback]
Old 11-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004/04 production, Titan Silver Metallic, Leder Dakota Upholsery/Grau 60, Sports suspension, Active steering, Dynamic drive, Heated Steering wheel, Emergency wheel, Satin chrome, Glass Roof, Sunblinds front & rear, Healight washer, Int/ext Anti-dazzle mirrors, smokers package, comfort & heated seats, PDC, 18" Wheels 124 w/Dunlop Mixed runflats, Adaptive headlights, Xenon Lights, Active Cruise Control, Blue tooth sony/erricson, Pro Navigation, Head Up Dispay, Voice input system, 6 Cd changer, HIFI Professional. M-Sport Tec Kit & spoiler conversion, Cip 18.1

If I screw up this posting, please forgive me ... I'm new! My ride is a April 04 production 545i with factory nav. The dealer insisted that bluetooth was not yet availiable for my car. I took them information stating that all I required was the 13.3 or better upgrade. Two days later, after a couple crashes, during installation, the car was ready for return. (They didn't know anything about v14 being released!) I'm waiting now for the phone, then to "pair" it to the car. My appointment is still one week away so who knows if it will really work. The Gainseville FL dealership doesn't apprear to be "up to speed" on this technology but they have been willing to listen and apparently willing to try to help me. We shall see. FYI: 13.3!!! My nav computer has blanked out several times and the idrive seems to perform more slower. I'm now hoping that V14 will work better.
Oh the cost of Pairing? Who knows ... they couldn't even offer an estimate. I'm their first victim.

Quick Reply: Going in for bluetooth retrofit tomorrow