Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Going in for bluetooth retrofit tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnmac' date='Nov 24 2004, 12:29 PM
SUCCESS !!

Feb 2004 530i Bluetooth retrofit is now fully working.

I had to get a new TCU installed and programmed.? Just got back from the dealer.? Successfully made numerous phone calls, received phone calls, synchronized the address book etc...

Quality: 9 out of 10 (my wife said she could not tell I was in my car).

Hooray!

I did have to pay for the TCU - it was $2,000.? BMW said it was not covered so I bit the bullet.? If anyone is interested in more details I will follow-up with additional posts.

For the record:? Pre March 2004 e60's need V13.3 and a new TCU installed to have full Bluetooth capability.

I am pairing with a Motorola V3 RAZR!

-- John Mac.?
[snapback]60294[/snapback]
Can you post more details on what exact TCU (model number or serial number) is needed for this retrofit? I have a 10/03 build 530i and I believe my car needs a new TCU. They have already replaced the MASK unit because of static in the stereo system when first starting the car (sometimes lasts for up to an hour). Originally they diagnosed the problem as the TCU, then told me the part was on order and I had to bring the car back to service when the part came in. Went back to service several weeks later and they said they replaced the MASK unit. Static is still there, so I'm thinking I need a new TCU.

I'm hoping when they switch out my TCU, it will be with the newer Bluetooth compatible one and I can have Bluetooth!! I'm ***ASSUMING*** that they ***no longer*** manufacture the older, non-bluetooth TCU, thus I will receive the newer one, but I would like to be able to call off a part number to my SA to be totally sure.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Contributors

Yeah, I'd love to know the 'symptoms' that would require an 'under warrenty' switch of the TCU.

I do like my CPT9000, though so I'm not sure I'd do the bluetooth thing until I hear better results regardign the sound quality.

James
Old 12-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Dec 27 2004, 08:36 PM
[quote name='johnmac' date='Nov 24 2004, 12:29 PM']SUCCESS !!

I had to get a new TCU installed and programmed.? Just got back from the dealer.? Successfully made numerous phone calls, received phone calls, synchronized the address book etc...

Hooray!

I did have to pay for the TCU - it was $2,000.? BMW said it was not covered so I bit the bullet.? If anyone is interested in more details I will follow-up with additional posts.

For the record:? Pre March 2004 e60's need V13.3 and a new TCU installed to have full Bluetooth capability.

-- John Mac.?
Can you post more details on what exact TCU (model number or serial number) is needed for this retrofit? I have a 10/03 build 530i and I believe my car needs a new TCU. They have already replaced the MASK unit because of static in the stereo system when first starting the car (sometimes lasts for up to an hour). Originally they diagnosed the problem as the TCU, then told me the part was on order and I had to bring the car back to service when the part came in. Went back to service several weeks later and they said they replaced the MASK unit. Static is still there, so I'm thinking I need a new TCU.

I'm hoping when they switch out my TCU, it will be with the newer Bluetooth compatible one and I can have Bluetooth!! I'm ***ASSUMING*** that they ***no longer*** manufacture the older, non-bluetooth TCU, thus I will receive the newer one, but I would like to be able to call off a part number to my SA to be totally sure.

Thanks!
[snapback]72954[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bump.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Members

Sorry for the delay,

Per my bill, the BMW TCU Part number that was installed in my Feb 2004 530i that is definitely Bluetooth compatible:

84-11-6-955-688

Let me know if you have any questions - I will be monitoring more regularly now that I am back at 'work' !!

-- John Mac.

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Dec 28 2004, 01:59 PM
[quote name='acribb' date='Dec 27 2004, 08:36 PM'][quote name='johnmac' date='Nov 24 2004, 12:29 PM']SUCCESS !!

Hooray!

-- John Mac.?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Bump.
[snapback]73123[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 12-28-2004, 02:11 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between the tcu and the ccc unit. My 545 6s has been in the shop for two weeks. They crashed the computer and could not reboot it so they are waiting for a new ccc. On another site it said that putting in an updated ccc provides bluetooth capability for pre 3/04 builds.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by johnmac' date='Dec 28 2004, 06:00 PM
Sorry for the delay,

Per my bill, the BMW TCU Part number that was installed in my Feb 2004 530i that is definitely Bluetooth compatible:

84-11-6-955-688

Let me know if you have any questions - I will be monitoring more regularly now that I am back at 'work' !!

-- John Mac.

[quote name='acribb' date='Dec 28 2004, 01:59 PM'][quote name='acribb' date='Dec 27 2004, 08:36 PM'][quote name='johnmac' date='Nov 24 2004, 12:29 PM']SUCCESS !!

Hooray!

-- John Mac.?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Bump.
[snapback]73123[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]73159[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the info John! Is the part number on the TCU itself? Just curious - maybe I already have it and don't realize it...... I have a 10/03 build......

I've got a RAZR V3 now too, and am anxious to get Bluetooth working in the car. I just ordered the HS810 headset for walkin' around......

I won't be back in the country until after mid-January, so i'll have to wait until then to take my car in for service...... :'(
Old 12-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Members

Hello,

I have a 2004 530I 01/04 build with BMW assist, no navigation. I am curious to find ou what it takes to install BT in my car as well. I have a Moto V3 Razr.

Could you please let me know

1. Total cost involved
2. Time to upgrade
3. Any issues with upgrading to new TCU etc?

Thanks,
nkn.

Originally Posted by johnmac' post='60294' date='Nov 24 2004, 11:29 AM
SUCCESS !!

I had to get a new TCU installed and programmed. Just got back from the dealer. Successfully made numerous phone calls, received phone calls, synchronized the address book etc...

Hooray!

I did have to pay for the TCU - it was $2,000. BMW said it was not covered so I bit the bullet. If anyone is interested in more details I will follow-up with additional posts.

For the record: Pre March 2004 e60's need V13.3 and a new TCU installed to have full Bluetooth capability.

-- John Mac.