Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does using BT in the US require having service with a particular carrier, or in a particular system (ie GSM, CDMA, etc????). Is it system specific or how does it adjust to these differences?????
Old 10-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 23 2004, 02:01 PM
Does using BT in the US require having service with a particular carrier, or in a particular system (ie GSM, CDMA, etc????). Is it system specific or how does it adjust to these differences?????
[snapback]48422[/snapback]
Verizon doesn't really offer Bluetooth yet. Their V710 handset was just recalled. The other carriers Cingular, AT&T do have full BT. Read this http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html
Old 10-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Oct 23 2004, 03:48 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='Oct 23 2004, 02:01 PM']Does using BT in the US require having service with a particular carrier, or in a particular system (ie GSM, CDMA, etc????). Is it system specific or how does it adjust to these differences?????
[snapback]48422[/snapback]
Verizon doesn't really offer Bluetooth yet. Their V710 handset was just recalled. The other carriers Cingular, AT&T do have full BT. Read this http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html
[snapback]48439[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is not exactly what I was asking about... What I am curious about is not who offers phones that use BT, but rather what is the technology of the signal that leaves the roof/shark fin antenna and transmits in turn to the cell towers. If it is technology specific, as GSM is the only standard in Europe, but we have GSM, CDMA, TDMA depending on the carrier company. I assume that the shark fin would only be set up to transmit only one technology system to the towers, and it probably would be GSM. If that is the case, then only T-Mobile, ATT and Cingular systems would work for the phone since they are the only ones who use GSM with their towers in the US. And then if you use one of these carriers currently, does your phone tell the towers to communicate with the particular company's towers (like T-mobile only) or does one have to switch carriers to only one provider that is compatible with BMW's particular set-up?
Old 10-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 23 2004, 02:57 PM
[That is not exactly what I was asking about... What I am curious about is not who offers phones that use BT, but rather what is the technology of the signal that leaves the roof/shark fin antenna and transmits in turn to the cell towers. If it is technology specific, as GSM is the only standard in Europe, but we have GSM, CDMA, TDMA depending on the carrier company. I assume that the shark fin would only be set up to transmit only one technology system to the towers, and it probably would be GSM.? If that is the case, then only T-Mobile, ATT and Cingular systems would work for the phone since they are the only ones who use GSM with their towers in the US.? And then if you use one of these carriers currently, does your phone tell the towers to communicate with the particular company's towers (like T-mobile only) or does one have to switch carriers to only one provider that is compatible with BMW's particular set-up?
[snapback]48444[/snapback]
BT phones use CDMA, TDMA or GSM to communicate with the cell system through the shark fin. The Blue Tooth only connects to the car. It is kind of link infra-red communication to make some sort of comparison. This does not have anything to do with the cell signal.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Dropped the 545 Off and I Have More Info As Requested

As requested I have the list of phones. See the attached BMW document in pdf format. You need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader to see the document. The document lists the phones by manufacturer, model, and cell phone provider.

It also states "Bluetooth will work on 03/04-on 5 series. However, production of cars prior 09/04 must have a software update to 13.2 or greater and must have the Bluetooth program turned on. The phone must also be paired to the car via the I-drive."

Cost $495

BMW Center / Contact Motor Werks, Barrington, Illinois / "Brink"

Other Comments by Brink today The scope of work involves disabling BMW Assist and reprogramming 3 control units. Motor Werks had a technician on the phone with BMW Friday afternoon testing the procedure to make sure that the Motor Werks technician could do it properly. I tracked down the BMW Service Manager and discussed this with him. He was not involved in the test session on Friday. I asked him if it was just a programming task as Brink said or does it involve both programming and new/replacement parts. He thought that it included programming and parts. I asked for the part numbers. He said that they would be listed on the receipt which I will get on Monday when I pick up the car. Since it closing time on Saturday I just let it go at that. Older e60's built prior 03/04 can be upgraded by first replacing the ECU and wiring harness according to Brink. Brink, in after-market accessories, and the BMW Service Manager were both confident that it would work since they did the test with BMW on Friday afternoon. I hope that they are right.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E60_BT_102304.PDF (20.4 KB, 729 views)
Old 10-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 23 2004, 03:42 PM
Dropped the 545 Off and I Have More Info As Requested

As requested I have the list of phones.? See the attached BMW document in pdf format.? You need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader to see the document.? The document lists the phones by manufacturer, model, and cell phone provider.

It also states "Bluetooth will work on 03/04-on 5 series.? However, production of cars prior 09/04 must have a software update to 13.2 or greater and must have the Bluetooth program turned on.? The phone must also be paired to the car via the I-drive."

Cost ? $495

BMW Center / Contact? Motor Werks, Barrington, Illinois? / "Brink"

Other Comments by Brink today? The scope of work involves disabling BMW Assist and reprogramming 3 control units.? Motor Werks had a technician on the phone with BMW Friday afternoon testing the procedure to make sure that the Motor Werks technician could do it properly.? I tracked the BMW Service Manager and discussed this with him.? He was not involved in the test session on Friday.? I asked him if it was just a programming task as Brink said or does it involve both programming and new/replacement parts.? He thought that it included programming and parts.? I asked for the part numbers.? He said that they would be listed on the receipt which I will get on Monday when I pick up the car.? Since it closing time on Saturday I just let it go at that.? Older e60's built prior 03/04 can be upgraded by first replacing the ECU and wiring harness according to Brink.
[snapback]48464[/snapback]
Just curious why we have to pay for a feature that was advertised as feature of the car in the sales literature. Hmmm.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 23 2004, 02:48 PM
Just curious why we have to pay for a feature that was advertised as feature of the car in the sales literature. Hmmm.
[snapback]48467[/snapback]
The Cost of the Bluetooth Option was $559 in my deal. When my car was built without it. I got a refund which I will now use to pay for this upgrade.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 23 2004, 03:48 PM
[quote name='pharding' date='Oct 23 2004, 03:42 PM']Dropped the 545 Off and I Have More Info As Requested

As requested I have the list of phones.? See the attached BMW document in pdf format.? You need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader to see the document.? The document lists the phones by manufacturer, model, and cell phone provider.

It also states "Bluetooth will work on 03/04-on 5 series.? However, production of cars prior 09/04 must have a software update to 13.2 or greater and must have the Bluetooth program turned on.? The phone must also be paired to the car via the I-drive."

Cost ? $495

BMW Center / Contact? Motor Werks, Barrington, Illinois? / "Brink"

Other Comments by Brink today? The scope of work involves disabling BMW Assist and reprogramming 3 control units.? Motor Werks had a technician on the phone with BMW Friday afternoon testing the procedure to make sure that the Motor Werks technician could do it properly.? I tracked the BMW Service Manager and discussed this with him.? He was not involved in the test session on Friday.? I asked him if it was just a programming task as Brink said or does it involve both programming and new/replacement parts.? He thought that it included programming and parts.? I asked for the part numbers.? He said that they would be listed on the receipt which I will get on Monday when I pick up the car.? Since it closing time on Saturday I just let it go at that.? Older e60's built prior 03/04 can be upgraded by first replacing the ECU and wiring harness according to Brink.
[snapback]48464[/snapback]
[snapback]48467[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow.. hope I hear back from you on Monday that it works well, and include pics of I-drive with caller id and numbers, address books, etc..

also very curious to hear about quality.

please ask you dealer for the service memo from BMWNA that describes this process!

thanks.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 23 2004, 03:12 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='Oct 23 2004, 02:57 PM'][That is not exactly what I was asking about... What I am curious about is not who offers phones that use BT, but rather what is the technology of the signal that leaves the roof/shark fin antenna and transmits in turn to the cell towers. If it is technology specific, as GSM is the only standard in Europe, but we have GSM, CDMA, TDMA depending on the carrier company. I assume that the shark fin would only be set up to transmit only one technology system to the towers, and it probably would be GSM.? If that is the case, then only T-Mobile, ATT and Cingular systems would work for the phone since they are the only ones who use GSM with their towers in the US.?? And then if you use one of these carriers currently, does your phone tell the towers to communicate with the particular company's towers (like T-mobile only) or does one have to switch carriers to only one provider that is compatible with BMW's particular set-up?
[snapback]48444[/snapback]
BT phones use CDMA, TDMA or GSM to communicate with the cell system through the shark fin. The Blue Tooth only connects to the car. It is kind of link infra-red communication to make some sort of comparison. This does not have anything to do with the cell signal.
[snapback]48456[/snapback]
[/quote]

Skipper, I was not wondering about the phone, rather the service provider options for the system. To make it simpler, can you use any cell company or is it limited to one cell company or those cell companies that use one particular standard (like GSM, or CDMA or TDMA)? I know that the phones have to have bluetooth and have to work with BMW's system.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

oops, that last guest reply was from me, gdavis

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday