Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Cradle for V710 just installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (build date 04/05) silver grey metallic/black leather/anthracite maple/6 speed Steptronic/sport package/cold weather package/premium sound package/active cruise control/navigation system/HUD/Sirius satellite radio/comfort seats/rear electric sunshade/rear airbags/rear seat heat/fold down rear seats

I finally got around to having the phone cradle installed for my Motorola V710. I have been carrying the parts for 6 months while I waited to go in for routine service. The dealer seemed vague about what to do with the parts. I got different estimates at different times of what it would cost. After I left the car I got a phone call saying the manual indicated 8 hours of work at an exorbitant cost. He started talking about rewiring fiber optic cables and wheel sensors if I wanted the Teleassist to work. He faxed me about 50 pages of complex instructions. I had no idea what he was talking about but knew I did not want them fooling with this stuff. I said I just needed it to charge and connect the antenna. I asked them to just put it in, connect the one harness and leave everything else alone. I picked it up and it seems to work fine. The phone works as it did before and charges. How can I tell if the external antenna is functional? The service rep later told me the complexity relates to what build model you have and what options you want programmed. I still don't know what else it was supposed to do. I am perplexed by the over-complexity of this and a little shaken that the service department of a rather major dealership seemed so in the dark.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Russ' date='Oct 14 2005, 11:33 PM
I finally got around to having the phone cradle installed for my Motorola V710. I have been carrying the parts for 6 months while I waited to go in for routine service. The dealer seemed vague about what to do with the parts. I got different estimates at different times of what it would cost. After I left the car I got a phone call saying the manual indicated 8 hours of work at an exorbitant cost. He started talking about rewiring fiber optic cables and wheel sensors if I wanted the Teleassist to work. He faxed me about 50 pages of complex instructions. I had no idea what he was talking about but knew I did not want them fooling with this stuff. I said I just needed it to charge and connect the antenna. I asked them to just put it in, connect the one harness and leave everything else alone. I picked it up and it seems to work fine. The phone works as it did before and charges. How can I tell if the external antenna is functional? The service rep later told me the complexity relates to what build model you have and what options you want programmed. I still don't know what else it was supposed to do. I am perplexed by the over-complexity of this and a little shaken that the service department of a rather major dealership seemed so in the dark.
[snapback]184470[/snapback]
He went over the top on what this cradle is supposed to do. As far as check out for signal strength. Using the signal strength bar indicators, just go to a fringe area for your service using your phone paired but not in cradle. Once u get down to 2 - 3 bars, snap phone into cradle and check that u get an increase in signal strength. May take a minute or so for this to change.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i (build date 04/05) silver grey metallic/black leather/anthracite maple/6 speed Steptronic/sport package/cold weather package/premium sound package/active cruise control/navigation system/HUD/Sirius satellite radio/comfort seats/rear electric sunshade/rear airbags/rear seat heat/fold down rear seats

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Oct 15 2005, 05:58 PM
[quote name='Russ' date='Oct 14 2005, 11:33 PM']I finally got around to having the phone cradle installed for my Motorola V710. I have been carrying the parts for 6 months while I waited to go in for routine service. The dealer seemed vague about what to do with the parts. I got different estimates at different times of what it would cost. After I left the car I got a phone call saying the manual indicated 8 hours of work at an exorbitant cost. He started talking about rewiring fiber optic cables and wheel sensors if I wanted the Teleassist to work. He faxed me about 50 pages of complex instructions. I had no idea what he was talking about but knew I did not want them fooling with this stuff. I said I just needed it to charge and connect the antenna. I asked them to just put it in, connect the one harness and leave everything else alone. I picked it up and it seems to work fine. The phone works as it did before and charges. How can I tell if the external antenna is functional? The service rep later told me the complexity relates to what build model you have and what options you want programmed. I still don't know what else it was supposed to do. I am perplexed by the over-complexity of this and a little shaken that the service department of a rather major dealership seemed so in the dark.
[snapback]184470[/snapback]
He went over the top on what this cradle is supposed to do. As far as check out for signal strength. Using the signal strength bar indicators, just go to a fringe area for your service using your phone paired but not in cradle. Once u get down to 2 - 3 bars, snap phone into cradle and check that u get an increase in signal strength. May take a minute or so for this to change.
[snapback]184742[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's what I figured I had to do. Thanks.