5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum (https://5series.net/forums/bluetooth-cell-phone-forum-26/)
-   -   Cradle for V710 just installed (https://5series.net/forums/bluetooth-cell-phone-forum-26/cradle-v710-just-installed-17195/)

Russ 10-14-2005 07:33 PM

I finally got around to having the phone cradle installed for my Motorola V710. I have been carrying the parts for 6 months while I waited to go in for routine service. The dealer seemed vague about what to do with the parts. I got different estimates at different times of what it would cost. After I left the car I got a phone call saying the manual indicated 8 hours of work at an exorbitant cost. He started talking about rewiring fiber optic cables and wheel sensors if I wanted the Teleassist to work. He faxed me about 50 pages of complex instructions. I had no idea what he was talking about but knew I did not want them fooling with this stuff. I said I just needed it to charge and connect the antenna. I asked them to just put it in, connect the one harness and leave everything else alone. I picked it up and it seems to work fine. The phone works as it did before and charges. How can I tell if the external antenna is functional? The service rep later told me the complexity relates to what build model you have and what options you want programmed. I still don't know what else it was supposed to do. I am perplexed by the over-complexity of this and a little shaken that the service department of a rather major dealership seemed so in the dark.

cobradav 10-15-2005 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Russ' date='Oct 14 2005, 11:33 PM
I finally got around to having the phone cradle installed for my Motorola V710. I have been carrying the parts for 6 months while I waited to go in for routine service. The dealer seemed vague about what to do with the parts. I got different estimates at different times of what it would cost. After I left the car I got a phone call saying the manual indicated 8 hours of work at an exorbitant cost. He started talking about rewiring fiber optic cables and wheel sensors if I wanted the Teleassist to work. He faxed me about 50 pages of complex instructions. I had no idea what he was talking about but knew I did not want them fooling with this stuff. I said I just needed it to charge and connect the antenna. I asked them to just put it in, connect the one harness and leave everything else alone. I picked it up and it seems to work fine. The phone works as it did before and charges. How can I tell if the external antenna is functional? The service rep later told me the complexity relates to what build model you have and what options you want programmed. I still don't know what else it was supposed to do. I am perplexed by the over-complexity of this and a little shaken that the service department of a rather major dealership seemed so in the dark.
[snapback]184470[/snapback]

He went over the top on what this cradle is supposed to do. As far as check out for signal strength. Using the signal strength bar indicators, just go to a fringe area for your service using your phone paired but not in cradle. Once u get down to 2 - 3 bars, snap phone into cradle and check that u get an increase in signal strength. May take a minute or so for this to change.

Russ 10-15-2005 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Oct 15 2005, 05:58 PM
[quote name='Russ' date='Oct 14 2005, 11:33 PM']I finally got around to having the phone cradle installed for my Motorola V710. I have been carrying the parts for 6 months while I waited to go in for routine service. The dealer seemed vague about what to do with the parts. I got different estimates at different times of what it would cost. After I left the car I got a phone call saying the manual indicated 8 hours of work at an exorbitant cost. He started talking about rewiring fiber optic cables and wheel sensors if I wanted the Teleassist to work. He faxed me about 50 pages of complex instructions. I had no idea what he was talking about but knew I did not want them fooling with this stuff. I said I just needed it to charge and connect the antenna. I asked them to just put it in, connect the one harness and leave everything else alone. I picked it up and it seems to work fine. The phone works as it did before and charges. How can I tell if the external antenna is functional? The service rep later told me the complexity relates to what build model you have and what options you want programmed. I still don't know what else it was supposed to do. I am perplexed by the over-complexity of this and a little shaken that the service department of a rather major dealership seemed so in the dark.
[snapback]184470[/snapback]

He went over the top on what this cradle is supposed to do. As far as check out for signal strength. Using the signal strength bar indicators, just go to a fringe area for your service using your phone paired but not in cradle. Once u get down to 2 - 3 bars, snap phone into cradle and check that u get an increase in signal strength. May take a minute or so for this to change.
[snapback]184742[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's what I figured I had to do. Thanks.