Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Cannot use T68i with 645Ci Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get bluetooth to work on my factory enabled BMW 645 (2005). I have a SE P900 but I read so many threads in here about the P900 lacking the proper bluetooth profile that I put my SIM in my older T68i which, accoring to BMW, is on their approved and test phone list.

I am able to Pair the phone and car in the Bluetooth options section of the iDrive menus and on the T68i I do see the little arrows next to the bluetooth icon seemingly indicating some communication with the car BUT (a) in the Communications section of the car menus, it says 'Please activate phone' and I cannot initiate a call on the car by pressing the phone button on the steering wheel nor can I answer a call by pressing the same handset.

Does anyone know if there is something else I might need to do on my T68i to get this to work. I am not even looking to use the phonebook for now but would just love to be able to make and answer calls using the car's handsfree.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Contributors

znino -

Unfortunately, the P900 is unable to support the necessary BT profile that BMW uses to communicate for making and receiving voice calls. If you really like the P900 (as I do), you can swap out your P900 for a P910 and then you will be able to make and receive calls.

Strange that you were unable to get a T68i to work, as I recall that is one of the phones that BMW states as compatile. I'd be sure that you are on the latest SW on your *car* as I was only able to get BT working after CIP 16 (around April 2005). The procedure that you described sounds like what I have seen with profile incompatibility: the phone can *pair* with the car, but that is only a recognition and handshaking procedure. Then the car attempts to communicate using a BT profile and fails (error message: "Please Activate Phone"). Currently, I am able to make and receive calls, but a different BT profile is incompatible betwwen my car and P910a, resulting in the lack of transfer of the address book. I get no error message (thankfully!).

> When your phone is connected to the car, is it possible to create a manual address book
> with a few entries that will always be there.
> In other words, an address book that you create in IDrive
> rather than one created from the phone.
> This way I can just use it for my frequently called numbers
> rather than dial by number each time.

No. Good question. I had the same thought when I was faced with manually dialing all outgoing numbers. My current choice is to use voice dialing, by digit string. I find that it helps if you give the computer a short string of digits, which it will repeat to you, and then then another string. It goes like this:

Dial Number
<<what number do you you wish to dial?>>
three oh three
<<three zero three ... and next?>>
five five five
<< five five five ... and next?>>
one two one two
<< one two one two ... and next?>>
Dial
<<Dialing>>

Robert

P.S. Errors in the string recognition can be corrected using the "Back" command. Try reading the section in the manual on voice dialing.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Here's an alternative that may serve your purposes. Although you can not create Phone Book entries (as they are pulled exclusively frtom the memory of your phone's memory or SIM), you can create Voice Phone Book entries.

Check out the entry on how to do this from the Bluetooth Manual:

Voice Phone Book
You can create a voice phone book with up to 50 phone
numbers and names. The names and phone numbers in
the voice phone book are independent of the memory of
your portable phone.
BMW Bluetooth Operation manual [Thanks to posts on E60.net by Lomag and Gudge]

I'm going to go out and try this out!

Robert
Old 07-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

Just a BTW, which Nokia Bluetooth phones are compatible with BMW Bluetooth?