Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth and telephones

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Can one of you guru's explain why some phones work and others not at all?
A friend of mine has just purchased an '06 X3 and her phone a Nokia 6210 navigator will not work as in transfer of the address book, however one can make a call by dialing in the number and also receiving a call is ok.
Her old mobile a Nokia 6288 transfers ok as does a Motorola Rzr. My Blackberry 9500 transfers ok too, so that would I think, discount an outdated software issue???
I tried sending the address book as business cards also to no avail.
BTW I also tried transferring the address book to phone then to the sim card and also both still no joy.
Looking on the BMW compatability chart there seems to be differences in compatabilty between the same manufacturers models let alone the different makes, so what makes one phone work and others not?

Confused of the UK!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by daven' post='877516' date='May 13 2009, 10:35 PM
Can one of you guru's explain why some phones work and others not at all?
A friend of mine has just purchased an '06 X3 and her phone a Nokia 6210 navigator will not work as in transfer of the address book, however one can make a call by dialing in the number and also receiving a call is ok.
Her old mobile a Nokia 6288 transfers ok as does a Motorola Rzr. My Blackberry 9500 transfers ok too, so that would I think, discount an outdated software issue???
I tried sending the address book as business cards also to no avail.
BTW I also tried transferring the address book to phone then to the sim card and also both still no joy.
Looking on the BMW compatability chart there seems to be differences in compatabilty between the same manufacturers models let alone the different makes, so what makes one phone work and others not?

Confused of the UK!
No Takers?

Well I would not describe myself as a Guru however I?ve spent time over the last few years dealing with this issue and as a partner/director in a software company I?ve had more than a passing interest in the subject as output from our software applications is often transferred to cell phones.

The variable achievement amongst different handsets of contacts uploading correctly to the car and general bluetooth connection stability are due in no small part to poor implementation or missing bluetooth protocols by the handset manufacturer IMO. My experience would suggest that Nokia would rank a poor performer amongst the higher profile brands with bluetooth issues. Of those models you mention here the Nokia 6210 is not on the BMW tested/approved listing but the Nokia 6288 is - that said most models are not on the tested/approved list and many function ok to varying degrees as you?ve experienced. In my experience of the brands you mention Blackberry and Motorola have fewer stable bluetooth or contact upload problems.

Generally, in my view, handset manufacturers appear less than attentive to completeness and reliability of bluetooth functionality per se - often handsets are released with attendant problems with their bluetooth functions, these are sometimes cleaned up with later releases of handset software updates - this is a problem with newer smart phones which seemingly are more prone to problems in this area. One can opine that as new models continuously hit the market every month with new features etc. there is a rush to market hence mistakes are made; reliable complete bluetooth functionality appears not to be a priority here............
Old 05-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Members

Hawkwing
Many thanks for that. I was coming to the conclusion that somewhere along the line it was a manufacturing/programming 'fault' as opposed to the cars receiver.
I see all mobile phone manufacturers have managed to agree a common standard for their chargers based on the mini usb, so you will not automatically get a charger when you replace your phone, you'd think they could sit round a table and thrash out a common standard for the bluetooth protocols!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by daven' post='878521' date='May 14 2009, 08:39 PM
Hawkwing
.......................................... you'd think they could sit round a table and thrash out a common standard for the bluetooth protocols!
Rather boring techie stuff here for most I guess however these are techie problems that are produced by poor engineering - the key issue is a lack of quality engineering from the manufacturers, in my limited view that is; they, the manufacturers, would appear to be not focusing their engineering effort well enough. The problems are not with the protocols themselves, these are standardised objects and well understood, it?s what protocols are used, i.e. the functions to be supported, and the integration into their handset operating system software (host stack integration) which is problematic ? actually of the handset software we?ve seen my guys tell me it's not what you'd call ?quality? code work................