Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth and SMS, Europe

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi smokin,

Just to clarify. I don't get the SMS on the screen when I use the 630, but it comes as usual in the telephone. The problem with the Nokia 6310 i is, that I don't get any SMS at all in my phone, as long as I'm connected to I-drive.

Peter
Old 09-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Members

yeh i understand that, but with the t630, shouldnt we get the text warning or message on the idrive ?
Old 09-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

The original BMW telephone is AFAIK the only phone which is able to display the SMS messages on the iDrive screen.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

Ok! Choosing 644 with a SE 630 will not give me the ability to see SMS on the i-drive like I can now with my 638? If that?s so, I think you loose the convenience with i-drive. Having to open the armrest every time you want to check a SMS.

Desert 530:

Maybe I was unclear but I have not tried to pair the SE 630 in my car. Was just thinking ahead to my next E60 and what solution to use!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Members

Thank you cidair, I thought you did pair.
Does anyone know if upcoming software updates will enable us (us people with 638) to pair a mobile phone in the presense of the Built in BMW pro. phone.
After my car go the last update I was able to see the device name in the iDrive, but still not services were identified.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Desert530' date='Sep 13 2004, 06:18 AM
Does anyone know if upcoming software updates will enable us (us people with 637) to pair a mobile phone in the presense of the Built in BMW pro. phone.
After my car go the last update I was able to see the device name in the iDrive, but still not services were identified.
I think our problem is the following:

The BMW phone pro is built in. The "phone" we see is technically a BT headset. And because you can't pair a phone with a phone we have this problem...!???

Could that be the reason we can't pair ours, Desert530 ?

I'm absolutely unsure about this, but I can't find an explanation, nor was I able to pair my Nokia 6310i with it...
Old 09-13-2004, 03:04 AM
Senior Members

Iceman:

I think you are right about that. You can?t pair two phones.

You should see the 638 handset as a bluetooth device, paired to the built in phone.

Another question:

Why is there noise in the handset when having a call connected? The mic works ok ( people hear me loud and clear ), but I get a lot of crackling noise in the handset speaker! Should I try to pair the handset with the phone again?
Old 09-13-2004, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have any crackling noise. I just had it once, when I walked away from the car, when I was almost loosing the signal - I made a few steps back towards the car and the problem was solved.
I would try to pair it again...
Maybe someone else chimes in who had this problem solved, or knows about it...!?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Members

Iceman,
When I search for BT devices from my phone I only see the car name (BMW*****) * = a digit.
I don't see the hand set.
The other day I did something really freeky, I put my SIM card in the BMW pro. phone base. Then from the handset menu I went to Bluetooth settings and searched for devices. While it was searching, I pulled my sim card from the base and inserted it in my mobile (SE Z600). The car's handset found 2 devices, the car and my Sony Ericsson. I choose sony ericsson and was able to pair my mobile with the handset. (Note: The handset had "connecting" in the display for a loooooooong time before it fully paired)
Later on, whenever I got in the car with my mobile I look at the handset under the arm rest. and it has the network name in the display just like it would display it in my mobile phone (note: sim card is in my mobile).
Whenever I get a call, both my mobile and the handset ring at the same time. But the handset was not communicating with the iDrive at all, it still showed insert SIM card in the "Communications" pane in the iDrive.
It was something I wanted to try, but it didn't work.

Back to your question of why we cannot pair, I am not really sure. But as a result of my searching and testing and reading about Bluetooth and mobile phones for the past 6 months. I think that the BT module that comes with the 638 has different profiles than the BT module that comes with 640.
The BT module that comes with the 640 has the following supported services:
Headset
Object push
File transfer
Handsfree
(the services above showed when i paired my SE Z600 & T630 with an E60 that had 640)

On the other hand, when I pair my phone with my E60 (options 638) it shows "No local services found" the my mobile after pairing

So I guess that option 638 does not have the other profiles needed to pair with a cell phone, because with option 638 the SIM card goes into the armrest which is connected to the iDrive directly. So the iDrive sees the BMW handset as a "Headset", while with option 640 the mobile phone sees the car as a headset.

Note: When I paired my phone with my E60 the device icon that appeared in my "Paired Devices" list was a cell phone icon. While it showed a headset icon when I paired my cell phone with another E60 that had 640 instead.

I hope I did not confuse you or anyone. If you need pictures and more details please let me know.

In conclusion, we need option 640 to be installed in order for us to pair our mobiles.

Do you know if this is available?

E60 experts, please feel free to reply to this topic with whatever is useful.

<_<
Old 09-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

I wasn't able to pair anything so far...

Quick Reply: Bluetooth and SMS, Europe