Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Problem and Verizon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2005 525I I have been using My razr phone from verizon for the last 3 months with no problems It pairs up to the car with out any issues and the sound quality has been great. However today I left the NYC area and as soon as I got out of the EVDO range my phone switched to 1X which is fine the phone still works but now when I have Bluetooth enabled there is a flashing triangle on the lower right corner of the IDRIVE again no big deal i have read all the posts and it seems that means the phone is roaming. However when i try to make a call when the triangle is flashing the phone connects and the person i am calling phone rings but I can't hear anything and they can't hear me. Has anyone had this problem and what is the solution to fix it? The only piece of information that might be relevant I cancelled my BMW assist subscription at the end of march but i have used the bluetooth phone since then with no problems i don't know if that would cause any issues. Thanks In advance for you help.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Hi Tambo, and Welcome.

With the BTUM Adapter, the lower right corner of the screen indicates the signal strength between the BTUM and the phone, (internal BT transmission, not external). I don't know any more than that, but would guess that whatever phase your phone shifted into does not fully agree with the BTUM.

Is RAZR an approved BMW phone? If not, we may now know why. I have had no such problems roaming around with my Verizon E 815. I'd recommend checking the BMW list to confirm its compatibilty and then ask your BMW service guy if he has any clue. Last resort would be to talk with Verizon; if you can find someone knowledgeable, they may be able to explain the difference in BT signals, but probabaly won't know why BTUM isn't fully connecting.

Good luck,
Ray Hull
Old 04-15-2006, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My RAZR worked perfectly from Novemeber 2004 until just a few days ago, when I purchased my new cell phone.

Verizon is known to cripple features on their phones, such as bluetooth.... but will "reactivate" them for a price. This may or may not be a case of this. Honestly, it does not sound that way.... it sounds more like a defective phone to me. But I have read a lot about Verizon's shady business practices on various forums.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Members

Yes the verizon razr is fully capadible with the 525 according to BMW. Of course Verizon is no help they say it is the Car and BMW doesn't know why it does work either. So i am a loss
Old 04-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by tambo' post='269183' date='Apr 14 2006, 02:57 PM
On my 2005 525I I have been using My razr phone from verizon for the last 3 months with no problems It pairs up to the car with out any issues and the sound quality has been great. However today I left the NYC area and as soon as I got out of the EVDO range my phone switched to 1X which is fine the phone still works but now when I have Bluetooth enabled there is a flashing triangle on the lower right corner of the IDRIVE again no big deal i have read all the posts and it seems that means the phone is roaming. However when i try to make a call when the triangle is flashing the phone connects and the person i am calling phone rings but I can't hear anything and they can't hear me. Has anyone had this problem and what is the solution to fix it? The only piece of information that might be relevant I cancelled my BMW assist subscription at the end of march but i have used the bluetooth phone since then with no problems i don't know if that would cause any issues. Thanks In advance for you help.
Two suggestions, first find a friend who has a Cingular Razr and pair his phone to your car and see if the problem persists. Secondly, go to a verizon store and request that they use another Razr to pair with your car and see if the problem still exists. This way you will rule out the car or the phone. If the cingular phone performs in the same manner, then it is the car, if not, and the other Verizon Razr performs correctly, then it is your particular phone.

Good Luck

Joe

PS, BTW I have a Cingular Razr, and it works fine.