Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BlackBerry Bold

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='659539' date='Sep 1 2008, 06:30 PM
Got it! Love it!
Attachment 58222
nice (phone and wallpaper )
Old 09-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Westcoast -- can you tell us a little more about why you love it? Are you experiencing the issues that are causing it to be delayed in the US on AT&T?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='659575' date='Sep 1 2008, 07:20 PM
Westcoast -- can you tell us a little more about why you love it? Are you experiencing the issues that are causing it to be delayed in the US on AT&T?
+1, a slight review/comparison would be appreciated...new OS features? What phone did you have before? I am assuming a BB hopefully ( be easier to compare). TIA
Old 09-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a number of BBs most recently the pearl, before that the 7130. My wife is a BB user as well so we've gone through most models from the 7200's on. She currently uses an 8700r. I really took a close look at the iphone before deciding. Having recently acquired a Mac Book Air, I thought I might extend my foray into the "i world" with the iphone, but nothing handles email better than a BB and that is 90% of what I use it for. Plus I can reuse all my accessories....each car, and every room has a BB charger so my wife and are never without the right charger, etc. It drove me crazy when she had a Motorola phone for a brief time and never has the right charger in the right place at the right time. Also I am aready set up on a BB exchange server so a device switch is literally one click. While the iphone is 100% cool, I though I would tire of it with daily use and will get an ipod touch (when they make them with more memory) to get my "cover flow/touch screen fix".

So here's what I like:
- the screen is amazing, videos/photos are super clear.
- the media center app is easy to use, good sound from the speaker
- overall look and feel is A+, solid, feels good in your hand, buttons, etc are all quality
- micro SD card can be put in/out without removing the battery as on old devices
- wifi is great, at home or office I can use wifi instead of cellular network.
- apps load fast
- keyboard is excellent - I read somewhere that in a test users were able to type twice as fast with fewer errors on a BB keyboard versus and iphone
- video camera and camera flash
- the interface and ions have been updated and look really good while still maintaining the BB navigation of the menu button and pearl curser.
- preloaded images and videos of BMWs.....just good karma

The not so good:
- battery life seems short, although I haven't measured it. Could be that I am just using it a lot since its new.
- the browser loads web pages quickly and is much improved over say an 8700, it's still no iphone. Pages look good, but reading the text requires zooming in quite a bit and then you need to scroll left/right on every sentence.

Issues:
- I have only had it for a few days, and haven't had time to resolve the this yet, but address book won't transfer via bluetooth to my car. Neither would my pearl, but my 7130 did no problem. I have a pretty large (1500) contact database with many international numbers which I read somewhere can cause a problem. I will try to set it to sync a "hotlist" or subset but haven't had time yet.
- Yesterday, the fm radio started cutting in and out (rythmically every 10 seconds or so). Don't know if this is related to the phone or some other gremlin. The phone pairs and works fine with the contact transfer turned off. I just don't have any time to deal with it this week.

Happy to answer any questions! Ask away.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='660076' date='Sep 2 2008, 11:22 AM
I've had a number of BBs most recently the pearl, before that the 7130. My wife is a BB user as well so we've gone through most models from the 7200's on. She currently uses an 8700r. I really took a close look at the iphone before deciding. Having recently acquired a Mac Book Air, I thought I might extend my foray into the "i world" with the iphone, but nothing handles email better than a BB and that is 90% of what I use it for. Plus I can reuse all my accessories....each car, and every room has a BB charger so my wife and are never without the right charger, etc. It drove me crazy when she had a Motorola phone for a brief time and never has the right charger in the right place at the right time. Also I am aready set up on a BB exchange server so a device switch is literally one click. While the iphone is 100% cool, I though I would tire of it with daily use and will get an ipod touch (when they make them with more memory) to get my "cover flow/touch screen fix".

So here's what I like:
- the screen is amazing, videos/photos are super clear.
- the media center app is easy to use, good sound from the speaker
- overall look and feel is A+, solid, feels good in your hand, buttons, etc are all quality
- micro SD card can be put in/out without removing the battery as on old devices
- wifi is great, at home or office I can use wifi instead of cellular network.
- apps load fast
- keyboard is excellent - I read somewhere that in a test users were able to type twice as fast with fewer errors on a BB keyboard versus and iphone
- video camera and camera flash
- the interface and ions have been updated and look really good while still maintaining the BB navigation of the menu button and pearl curser.
- preloaded images and videos of BMWs.....just good karma

The not so good:
- battery life seems short, although I haven't measured it. Could be that I am just using it a lot since its new.
- the browser loads web pages quickly and is much improved over say an 8700, it's still no iphone. Pages look good, but reading the text requires zooming in quite a bit and then you need to scroll left/right on every sentence.

Issues:
- I have only had it for a few days, and haven't had time to resolve the this yet, but address book won't transfer via bluetooth to my car. Neither would my pearl, but my 7130 did no problem. I have a pretty large (1500) contact database with many international numbers which I read somewhere can cause a problem. I will try to set it to sync a "hotlist" or subset but haven't had time yet.
- Yesterday, the fm radio started cutting in and out (rythmically every 10 seconds or so). Don't know if this is related to the phone or some other gremlin. The phone pairs and works fine with the contact transfer turned off. I just don't have any time to deal with it this week.

Happy to answer any questions! Ask away.

Excellent, thank you for the great review and insight. Running 4.5 or 4.6 OS? Are emails in html format now with that OS? Interesting about the BMW pairing, wonder what that's all about as thats the first instance of a BB having paring issues that I've heard/read
Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Contributors

V4.6.0.125, No html email support in this version.
BlackBerry Bold-dsc_1496.jpg
Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Contributors

hmmm....i'm on a BB Curve on TMO and i have HTML email's. i'm running v4.5..0.55. i now even have video camera!

hopefully by the time the Bold is released with TMO, all the bugs will be fixed!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='660139' date='Sep 2 2008, 12:59 PM
hmmm....i'm on a BB Curve on TMO and i have HTML email's. i'm running v4.5..0.55. i now even have video camera!

hopefully by the time the Bold is released with TMO, all the bugs will be fixed!
Perhaps there is an email setting I need to change to enable html? I really haven't had the opportunity to really go through and tweak the device yet.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

All you 'Crackberry' addicts! And all you know I'm just spouting because 'Crackberries' aren't available in Korea YET~
Old 09-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='660142' date='Sep 2 2008, 01:05 PM
Perhaps there is an email setting I need to change to enable html? I really haven't had the opportunity to really go through and tweak the device yet.
perhaps, I think 4.5 OS or higher should support html emails. If not, you can pick empower app....works great and not too expensive (had it on my last BB 8703e)

http://www.getempower.com/

Quick Reply: BlackBerry Bold