Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BlackBerry 8700c and CIP 24.00

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I recently had my car's software updated from 20.02 to 24.00. On the old version, my BlackBerry 8700c transferred most of my phonebook entries (limited by the car's memory, I think) and things worked perfectly. If I had multiple numbers entered for a contact, each number would show up as an individual entry (for example, "Smith, John - home" and "Smith, John - work" would be listed on the iDrive screen.) There is a setting on the BlackBerry under the Bluetooth options that allows you to choose whether "all contacts" or just a "hotlist" transfers to a paired device. This setting didn't seem to make a difference with the car using CIP 20.02.

Now, with the new software, I'm having trouble getting the address book transferred. If I leave the BB's BT setting at "all contacts", nothing will transfer. If I change it to "hotlist", a small handful of entries transfer but they don't list the multiple numbers for a contact as before.

I suppose it's possible that an update to the BB might help this problem but right now, I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem. I'm annoyed because it worked perfectly before the CIP update and no software was changed on the BB.

Could it be possible that the car's update didn't work properly? (doubtful but possible, I guess...)
Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

I can't tell what CIP version I have right now, but my 8700 works flawlessly. The car is going into service for different issues on Monday, and I suspect I will get the update to 24.02. I'll follow up after that to see if I experience the same problem.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

I have upgraded my car to 24.02 a couple of weeks ago and I am using a BB 7130c from cingular which in theory runs the same OS as the 8700c. I am surprized that the transfer contacts option on your blackberry doesnt make a difference. I tested it with mine and it either transfers the address book or not. However, I dont have a huge list of contacts. Maybe a hundred or less and as you mentioned multiple phone nums under the same name (e.g. home, mobile) come as seperate entries in the car.

My suggestion would be to check the Cingular webpage to see if you are running the latest version of OS on your BBerry. If thats the case then I would go back to the dealer and ask them to check the issue, especially if it was working as it suppose to before the update.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Well just for fun, I went ahead and upgraded the BB to the latest version that Cingular has posted since mine was a bit older.

No luck.

I'm going to try pairing it with another E60 that has the same CIP to see if it works the same way. If it doesn't transfer the phone book like it used to, then clearly BMW broke something in the BT stack with this version of software (which will piss me off plenty since it was working so well before...)

Wildcat, be sure to let us know how yours works out -- if it breaks yours too, at least we have a clear pattern of a problem that we can <hopefully> get BMW to deal with...
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Members

Now this is becoming interesting. If possible can you get the target status so we know for sure the exact version of the bmw software. Mine is E060-12-06-510 which according to my dealer is CIP 24. I bet our dealers are out of sync.
If this proves not to be a software issue then the next long shot is that your TCU is reaching its lifespan.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

I'm at E060-06-12-510 which I'm pretty sure is 24.00 (did you flip the 12 and the 06 in your post?) It could be that there is a bug in this version or it's possible that something didn't "take" on my upgrade (like the TCU) so we'll soon see. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try my phone on another E60 with 24.00 tomorrow.

The car is going back in soon because my clutch is slipping now. I can't figure out if the clutch is simply worn out (I don't abuse it at all) or if there is something in the software that is causing this? Either way, I'll ask them to look into the BT issue but I suspect they'll tell me that BMW says the BB 8700c isn't on the supported phones list, etc.

It's possible that they might try to redo the upgrade. Since the upgrade, my iDrive screen (CID) often has wavy lines (noise) across the text too. My service tech saw the lines so at least it's not going to end up as one of those "could not duplicate problem" issues...
Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Members

I did. I was lazy to look at the final report and typed from memory. Its E060-06-12-510.

One other thing that pops into my mind as I am thinking more about it is that the voltage dropped while the tech was upgrading the software and therefore the programming of the TCU didnt succeed.

The other difference we have in our cars is that I have no Nav and therefore I have M-Ask instead of CCC.

Good luck and keep us posted of the outcome.

Pete.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='394576' date='Feb 23 2007, 02:01 AM
Either way, I'll ask them to look into the BT issue but I suspect they'll tell me that BMW says the BB 8700c isn't on the supported phones list, etc.
Nope, it's supported. Tell 'em to check their own web site:

http://www.bmwusa.com/owners/bluetooth/phones
Old 02-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Members

Only entries in the Address Book will be accessible from your BMW. SIM Phone Book entries should be copied to the Address Book in order to be accessed from your BMW. The Cingular BlackBerry 8700c requires software SW V4.1.0.194 to operate with the BMW hands-free system. See your authorized Cingular dealer for details.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='394791' date='Feb 23 2007, 03:43 PM
Only entries in the Address Book will be accessible from your BMW. SIM Phone Book entries should be copied to the Address Book in order to be accessed from your BMW. The Cingular BlackBerry 8700c requires software SW V4.1.0.194 to operate with the BMW hands-free system. See your authorized Cingular dealer for details.
I can't imagine why anyone with a Blackberry would use the SIM address book anyway, since the Blackberry Address Book is the one that stays synced with Outlook, LotusNotes, etc. I don't have any PIM data on my SIM card, and don't need to. I love the fact that my E60 has instant access to my entire contacts list, and this s/w update to 24.02 had better not mess that up.

Either praise or bitching will ensue after Monday. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: BlackBerry 8700c and CIP 24.00