Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Better Bluetooth Streaming

Old 07-29-2017, 05:52 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Tsoup
So I finally decided to do this mod. I had previously ordered everything but it all sat on counter b/c I was fearful of getting in and not having something or other options if the main "simple" (so it appears) option failed. I went to auto stores seeing if I could buy a clean fuse tap - and guidance "where" to plug it - but both where blah, blah, blah.

Anyways...I am going back to Aux cable b/c 1) it has a muffled sound - Mine is NOT as crystal clear as everyone else claims. The Aux cable IS crystal clear...or normal I would say. 2) It does NOT Pair easy. 3) It does NOT pair more than one device at a time..i.e. My Note 4 and my wife's IPhone 6.

Pairing: I have to go through a whole exercise of car switched on, to car fully started. Turning off Bluetooth on my Note 4 to allow it to rescan. Reselecting Aux on the dash (iDrive). In my experiment, this (selecting or reselecting Aux) appeared to "turn on" or make the Sure HiFi appear on the Bluetooth list. Once it's listed, then the exercise of selecting it but it won't connect. Sometimes (prolly initially) it appears as Hex, then later as the name.

It's just too much running around the block to only get a muffled sound. My plan going forward is to revert back to the Aux cable until I can narrow down the right year etc OEM BMW TCU to purchase.

FYI: What I mean by getting in and finding out instructions where not as easy as stated. Others used the cigarette lighter in the rear to tap for power source. I've made it clear I was using the front since that's where my Aux cable is located. Well getting to the bottom side of the front cigarette lighter was a roadblock. Couldn't find info nowhere w/my stereo NOW out!! I found and used the cigarette lighter under the passenger side glove box. After pulling the panel (underneath the glove box) the wires and plug are right there to pull out. Plus, the lighter is labeled pos/neg on the cover for semi-novices like myself. I used the blue 3M Quick Connects to tap into the wires to my power plug I bought. All of my connects are a simple plug in for the Aux, and plug in for the power - no soldering!! Clean is what I wanted!!

Hope this helps others still searching for Bluetooth answers for their non "enabled" Bluetooth E60!!
i think one of two things has happened-

1) you received a faulty board
2) you botched the install somehow

The BT board draws relatively little power, so you should have been able to tap into any fused 12V power source that is on with the ignition and does not stay on after the car is off. You didn't specifically need a cigarette lighter circuit to tap into.

if your aux cable is clear and you are connecting your BT board to your aux cable (assuming using a male-to-male headphone cable and not the RCA outputs), there is no reason that your streaming audio shouldnt be clear unless something is wrong with the board. i have never had any issues pairing with mine and it connects right away every time.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:17 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

+1 on that, my iPhone SE and 4 always pair instantly automatically once paired initially, never had any issues plus sound is great.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Engine: N52

I do have to say that I am experiencing issues with my Sure board connecting every time. It appears to be totally random. On my way to work, it won't connect. On the way home, it's fine.

When I first installed the board, both Waze and Pandora would play though Bluetooth. Now, (when I do connect) Waze will only play through the phone speaker, while Pandora plays though Bluetooth. I don't have the same issue with Google Maps. This, I think, is an issue with my phone (a Moto G Play) because it is also sometimes having problems finding GPS also.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray

Originally Posted by BostonJon
i think one of two things has happened-

1) you received a faulty board
2) you botched the install somehow

The BT board draws relatively little power, so you should have been able to tap into any fused 12V power source that is on with the ignition and does not stay on after the car is off. You didn't specifically need a cigarette lighter circuit to tap into.

if your aux cable is clear and you are connecting your BT board to your aux cable (assuming using a male-to-male headphone cable and not the RCA outputs), there is no reason that your streaming audio shouldn't be clear unless something is wrong with the board. i have never had any issues pairing with mine and it connects right away every time.
#1 is possible
#2 is also possible - but unlikely since its not too much I could've screwed up!! loll

Here's my equipment list:

Bluetooth v4.0 Audio Receiver Board aptX +EDR 12 VDC
Amazon Amazon

RuiLing 2PCS 3.5mm Jack to 3.5mm Audio Male Adapter Connectors.
(
Amazon Amazon
)

DC Barrel Plug Pigtail
https://vetco.net/products/2-1mm-dc-...plug-w-6-cable

**This is quick connect tapped into cigarette lighter wires (underneath glove box)

So I only had to plug in *2* connections (Power and Aux)!! loll

I will acknowledge each "additional" plug could add grey areas i.e. my Audio Male Adapters - but it wld essentially be the same for using an Aux Cable.

My connections are *almost* 100% defensible..I do leave room for doubt since it's me and I'm not an electrical engineer! What isn't is the Bluetooth Pairing. So you may be on to something suggesting a bad board.

Last edited by Tsoup; 07-30-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: Working on getting a E60 6-speed

Anyone use a USB dongle to Aux in the center console like such:

Old 08-10-2017, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by JayArras
I do have to say that I am experiencing issues with my Sure board connecting every time. It appears to be totally random. On my way to work, it won't connect. On the way home, it's fine.

When I first installed the board, both Waze and Pandora would play though Bluetooth. Now, (when I do connect) Waze will only play through the phone speaker, while Pandora plays though Bluetooth. I don't have the same issue with Google Maps. This, I think, is an issue with my phone (a Moto G Play) because it is also sometimes having problems finding GPS also.
this is due to a software update on android - my phone use to do the same, waze went through bluetooth - now waze plays through the phone's speaker. I think you can change the speaker settings in Waze's sound settings...
Old 08-10-2017, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
this is due to a software update on android - my phone use to do the same, waze went through bluetooth - now waze plays through the phone's speaker. I think you can change the speaker settings in Waze's sound settings...
You're right! I found a setting called "Play sound to phone speaker", so I turned it off. I'll see if it addresses the issue when I'm on my way home. Thanks!

Now if I could only figure out why I keep losing GPS signal... <sigh>
Old 09-01-2017, 12:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Cool

Originally Posted by insyder
I was using a USB stick style bluetooth that plugged into my rear console aux line. This was "sufficient" until my 6 year old snapped it in half while sitting in the middle seat.

Not to be dissuaded, I looked for a more "integrated" solution. Enter the Pure Electronics Bluetooth receiver. Full 2.1 + EDR bluetooth with the APTx codec means high quality audio. 12volt input makes for easy hookup with no messing around with power adaptors or any other nonsense.

The verdict: At $20 this bluetooth module is a STEAL. Sound quality is excellent! And the convenience of not needing a stupid cable into AUX is amazing!

I picked up my Bluetooth receiver by Pure Electronics on eBay from a seller named Curious Provisions but you can pick up the same module from Parts Express when they get them back in stock.

I ordered the board as revealed towards the end of this post but might have a bad board. The gymnastics I went through to get it to show up and Pair is ridiculous. I thought the rage about acquiring a newer TCU was to solve BT issues in an OEM format. Partly true. I NOW KNOW "AFTER-THE-FACT" that everybody have been stressing about a new/replacement TCU simply to place calls!! Had I known that up front -- Yes, "after-the-fact" I have now come across a few posts stating this and that the "Combox" (CIC, CCC etc.) adds the music features -- which rules out my MASK system. Anyway, //start sarcasm// my phone calls through my car system works beautifully - using my new/replaced 2007 TCU!!! //end sarcasm//

Okay, now to this board. I wanted to give some info in case others experience issues w/their board as I did. My board was ordered through Amazon from a seller that essentially purchased it from Parts-Express. I chose that seller and higher cost to take advantage of 2-day Prime shipping. My board has "Wondom" on the back and NOT Sure as pictured on any site selling the board!

I "thought" I was outsmarting the system by re-purchasing DIRECTLY from Sure Electronics (IN CHINA!!) to get a Sure branded board -- in case I received an inferior product. But Sure has told me that Wondom is their sub parts manufacturer and basically it sounds like even from them I'm going to get a Wondom branded board and not Sure. Hopefully my board was an isolated case. The only other benefit was being able to change the BT Pairing Name at the factory.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:33 PM
New Members

My Ride: e60 528 2010

hey guys, i bought recently 528i 2010 and i noticed i dont have the new cic idrive, i have the old one the ccc
Old 09-10-2017, 01:03 PM
New Members

I "thought" I was outsmarting the system by re-purchasing DIRECTLY from Sure Electronics (IN CHINA!!) to get a Sure branded board -- in case I received an inferior product. But Sure has told me that Wondom is their sub parts manufacturer and basically it sounds like even from them I'm going to get a Wondom branded board and not Sure. Hopefully my board was an isolated case. The only other benefit was being able to change the BT Pairing Name at the factory. [/QUOTE]

So My "Wondom" board arrived from "China" and is no different from those bought from US channels but most importantly, this time, this one works perfectly - connects quickly, re-connects automatically after turning car off/on etc..validating the previous board has issues. What I did notice is that the cell phone volume needs to be adjusted down to avoid the muffled sound where as with the Aux cable, the volume was all the way up (max).

I do have the bonus specific BT name on my board which is only available through Sure Direct (China) purchases.

I'm still not sure of the phone operation with my new/replaced TCU and this board - which will pick up the call since both are "connected" for "call audio"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better Bluetooth Streaming