Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Better Bluetooth Streaming

Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '98 Lexus GS300 Prev Ride: '07: 550i
Default Better Bluetooth Streaming

I was using a USB stick style bluetooth that plugged into my rear console aux line. This was "sufficient" until my 6 year old snapped it in half while sitting in the middle seat.

Not to be dissuaded, I looked for a more "integrated" solution. Enter the Pure Electronics Bluetooth receiver. Full 2.1 + EDR bluetooth with the APTx codec means high quality audio. 12volt input makes for easy hookup with no messing around with power adaptors or any other nonsense.

So using Roskinc's great disassembly videos I yanked out my rear center console panel which already had the two cigarette lighter jacks and the aux jack factory installed.

After pulling this, I got busy with the soldering iron.

First step was wiring 12v to one of the cigarette lighters. This is easy as you can solder directly from the bluetooth receiver PCB to a couple of points on the cigaretter lighter housing with only a few inches of wire in between.

Then I had to crack open the AUX module and using a meter to determine what was left channel, right channel and ground, soldered in some scrap RCA cables and drilled a hole out the back of the module so the RCAs could jack directly into my shiny new Bluetooth receiver. Finished up by mounting the PCB to the top of the AUX module with a little double sided tape and...

Next step is to take that new assembly and wire it up to the car.

Then snap the cover back in. Yes that's the same pic as the before picture. Point being that externally, there's nothing to see here. Super clean, super stock.

Turn on the car, pair it up with your phone...

Then you're in business!

The verdict: At $20 this bluetooth module is a STEAL. Sound quality is excellent! And the convenience of not needing a stupid cable into AUX is amazing!

I picked up my Bluetooth receiver by Pure Electronics on eBay from a seller named Curious Provisions but you can pick up the same module from
Amazon Amazon
when they get them back in stock.

Last edited by insyder; 12-19-2020 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Fixed broken pics and stale links. Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Do you have any hum or feedback from the sound system while the engine is running? The problem that I've found with powered Bluetooth adapters (or iPhone adapters) is that I always hear a whine or hum while the engine is running.

Also, how did you mount the BT module to the panel?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:45 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by txag_530i
Do you have any hum or feedback from the sound system while the engine is running? The problem that I've found with powered Bluetooth adapters (or iPhone adapters) is that I always hear a whine or hum while the engine is running.
I was afraid of that myself, but nope. Completely clean, unmolested sound.
Originally Posted by txag_530i
Also, how did you mount the BT module to the panel?
Double stick tape to the AUX module which snaps into the panel.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Looks good.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:32 PM
New Members

Follow up:

So after living with this BT receiver for a couple weeks I found that it doesn't seek out and auto connect like other BT items do. I can assume this is by design.

To get around this I installed an automation app called "Trigger" on my phone and set up some jobs.

First job, called "Start BMW audio" waits for my car's phone BT to connect then does a force connection to the BT audio receiver. This is the equivalent to going in to your BT settings and doing a "pairing." After that, it continues the job by starting up Pandora. So I basically get in the car, start it and the music will start playing in a few moments after connections are established.

Using the same app, I do the opposite when leaving the car by forcing a BT disconnect and a shutdown of the Pandora app.

The great thing about doing some automation like this is that you can have it do all kinds of things to your phone like setting brightness, launching certain apps, sending messages, whatever you want to do.

Give it a try!
Old 10-27-2014, 03:10 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Would you happen to know if this rcvr would work with the older TCU in my 10/2003 built 545.?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:41 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Would you happen to know if this rcvr would work with the older TCU in my 10/2003 built 545.?
Probably. The only thing it relies on the car for is an AUX input of some sort. Otherwise, it's pretty independent of the car.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
This BT audio device connects to the stereo's AUX port and has nothing to do with the TCU or making/receiving BT telephone calls.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: Alpine White 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2008

So now the question arises... how much for you to make more? I want one but I dont have the patience to solder and seek which wires go to where.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

+1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better Bluetooth Streaming