7 Series Discussion A place for 7 series owners and those curious.

E65 - Current 7 Series

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Nope Too many newer cool cars coming around the corner!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

I got to test drive 745d 2005, Adaptive Drive (Dynamic Drive + EDC), Soft Close, Logic 7 and several other options.. for one hour today and my thoughts and opinion is:

+ I always liked the visage and presence of the facelifted E65 so it could be a car I would worship almost as much as E60
+ No matter how big it is, parking and maneuvering in low speeds in the city felt easy and as nimble as in E60
+ The V8 engine is great. Very silent, powerful enough and when it comes to the sound, it's almost like petrol one. Of course not that addictive but not annoying like in 535d. Just nice! Consumption was incredible, 8l / 100 Km (35 mpg UK, 29 mpg US)
+ Adaptive Drive balances the car no matter where and how you drive. Very comfortable and people in the back don't get seasick
+ You travel up to the limiter in total silence. I thought we had a sunroof opened, that much difference it was when the darkening sunroof screen was opened and closed.
+ People in the car can talk without distraction up to 220 Km/h (and without noticing). My wife was talking to my friend while I was traveling 220 Km/h just as we would be going 100 Km/h. I loved that.
+ Logic 7 is of course +1.
+ The ride is refreshing and relaxing.
+ I could find a better driving position in E65 then in E60. I have to mention I have exactly the same seats.

- It's a heavy car. Until you need brakes, it's fine and you don't notice the extra weight.
- Cornering isn't fun and I had to slow down 80% of the time when entering curves because it seemed to be rolling too fast for its weight. Maybe it would be OK but it just didn't feel sure.
- There was no Active Steering, one option you get used to very quickly and in a car not equipped with AS you are like Steven Seagal in his best form.
- The car was shaking more then expected on a bumpy road.
- High speed braking and maneuvering wasn't really that good. Golden E60. Maybe it's that false sense of security that makes you go faster then you should.
- The depreciation is huge. It's just a matter of everyone's personal index of depreciation acceptation.
- X-Drive would suit the 7er better. The next one will have X6's system. That will attract more buyers (steal from Audi A8).

Back to what you said - you were all right .. I like what you said, your opinions. One of the reasons I wanted to think about buying this car was what Kyosaki said: "Buy older luxury car" and that's what this is. Such car for such funny money (40K EUR). But you have to drive it until it's dead or you lose a lot on depreciation. At least 4 - 5 years. I don't think I could wait that long.
I like what Kell said: "I think the thing you have to ask is would you buy it if it wasn't half-price." - No I wouldn't. Not in my age (27yrs).
And westcoast550 said to buy M3 sedan This seems like a lot lot lot more fun - of course and maybe that will be the final choice! I will leave 5er to my wife and get a practical M3 that just seem like the best idea ever

Conclusion: I like it a lot, it is a very nice car to drive and to be in. But I wouldn't switch from E60.

Let's say:
E60 - Classic
E65 - Culture

Old 06-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Members

The 7 looks OK on the outside, but the interior is designed for someone who is in their late 50's/early 60's.
I'd buy one as a 4th or 5th car and I'll prolly drive it once a week to work and twice a month to go to church with family.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

the sport package is just as much a requirement on the 7 as it is on the 5. We have a 7 without it and no active steering, and while it is nice I much prefer my 5. I also like the interface on my iDrive better, the 7 we have is an 04 so it has the old one, even with the latest software for that car.

That said, if the 7 had the sport package I'd probably borrow it a lot more often.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='580860
Untill you see it race the M5. Youtube it.
Until you hit a road course and actually have to turn left and right.

M3 handling is a whole different level.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

I wouldn't. The 7-series is ginormongous! I don't want to have to wash/wax that much car! I already wish the my 550i had smaller exterior dimensions.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hondik' post='580457' date='May 14 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm just curious, my dealer is offering great deals on these and I'm tempted to give it a try.

745d, silver, mega full options, MY 2007, 20.000 Km, half price, warranty.

What do you think? Would you do it or not and why?
For me, no, I would not do it. The current 7 is about to be replaced, and IMO the 7 is too large a vehicle. I find the 5er just the right size for my use.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Love the 7er but for me, NO WAY the car is way too big for day to day driving in Hong Kong.
Any car that is bigger than 5er is wast of space, unless itis a sports car.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

No clutch, me no likey. I remember watching the movie The Transporter thinking, ''Now that's a 7-series I'd LOVE to have!!''
Old 06-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Senior Members

Exclamation

i did, sold my E65 730d and E53 X5 3.0d

and got two E60s instead, better mpg and look far better

Quick Reply: E65 - Current 7 Series