6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

Trunk Emblem Release

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been having issues with my trunk emblem release for a while now. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Told the BMW service rep and they took a look at it and said that the microswitch was bad. Replaced that and same problem... Told the rep and they said they'd look at the locking mechanism. same problem... I got all the locking mechanism parts myself and took the old one out only to my surprise that #1 they had actually looked at it but messed up putting it back in place (the emergency trunk release cable was threaded wrong that wouldn't allow it to releasea period) #2 there was nothing wrong with the original unit other than that a screw had to be tightened to make the lever follow through all the way to push an electrical button releasing the trunk. However, they greased the old unit up beyond recognition with fat in hopes that it would solve the problem. Sometimes I really wonder if BMW techs know what they are doing AT ALL. All it took was tightening a screw but since I already had the parts I just replaced the entire thing and it works like a charm now.