E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Does the 4th picture in the first post help? Otherwise, use an multimeter for continuity and see which pins on the button shorts when the button is pressed.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcy
I wanted to check out what the hoopla is all about :-)
I added AUX cable on this car, so, I am familiar with removing the dashboard components. It took me less than 10 minutes to add the cable.
My car is NOT equipped with active steering or dynamic drive. So, no surprise that I didn't feel any difference in terms of feel of the steering or suspension handling.

However, the pickup is noticeable right from the get go. It looks like the car is staying in lower gear lot longer. I've used DS mode on this car extensively, so, I am very familiar with how the car drives/handles in DS. Sport mode is different from DS.

Once you press that button, it stays in sport mode until restart; I would've liked to turn off the feature when I don't feel like driving aggressively. Essentially, you can't turn off sport mode without restarting the car. That's a bummer.

Last thing I noticed is that when you change the gear to Reverse, the 'sport' doesn't display on the dashboard. As soon as you change the gear to Drive, the 'sport' is displayed again.

Overall, I guess it's not a bad mod for 10 minutes of work.
You are incorrect. It doesn't stay on untill restart. If u have correct sport button then you can turn on and off anytime you want. I press it once it turns on I press it second time it turns off .
Old 06-11-2015, 01:42 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by SoullesS
You are incorrect. It doesn't stay on untill restart. If u have correct sport button then you can turn on and off anytime you want. I press it once it turns on I press it second time it turns off .
You are absolutely correct. It's just a toggle between on and off.
I realized that after I posted my review, I was just thinking of correcting my post and I saw your post.

I have installed the cable only (I haven't yet soldered the push-button switch at the end of that cable) because I wanted to try and see what it is all about.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Go the OEM route!

Originally Posted by balbs
Here's a pic of the cable I made using BMW connectors on both ends. I labeled the wires so that i won't get confused later on. :

Here's a pic of how I routed it under the center console trim and under and to the side of the ashtray. The ashtray is removed in this pic.

The cable then comes up and behind from where the DTC module is located and then pulled back forward to the wiring bundle.:

Wiring now joined into the bundle and then connect to the DTC module.:

Closing it up...Ashtray with my spec dock back in:

Finally done:

Old 06-11-2015, 03:13 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

Does anyone know if this switch will work?

Bi-color Anti-vandal LED Switch, Push Button On/Off Switch
Old 06-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Contributors

You need a momentary switch. That one says you have to hold it down?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Members

Hey balbs, i see you connected 3 wires, which pins did you connect each wire in the harness to? you have lci model right? how many pins are in the back of your button? anyway you can draw a diagram for which pin in harness to which pin in button? thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ixt

Just did this mod with Roskincs LED switch kit on my 2006 US spec 530xi E61, 6 speed. If you think this mod sounds like snake oil and too good to be true, it isn't. Part throttle response is definitely better in Sport mode, and steering gets much heavier, almost too heavy for town driving. The throttle response is most noticeable below half throttle. Obviously no more total power is available, the throttle response is just better at part throttle. Well worth the effort.

I have a lightly optioned E61 with MASK, no CCC, so I mounted the switch at the back of the cubby hole under the CD player on the lower dash. That way, I didn't have to mod or remove the console trim around the shifter. Hard to see the switch, but it isn't really necessary, as the dash SPORT mode light tells you if you are in that mode or not, and the switch is easy to identify by touch.. I got one of Roskinc's newer kits that has a locking round connector for the switch rather than individual pin connectors, making the job much easier and neater. Very nice.

Last edited by jal1234; 07-05-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:35 PM
New Members

Just purchased this switch. Trying to find the connectors though.

I am trying to figure out the wiring though, i assume the + and - will go to pin 8 and 10 respectively?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221743374670?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=520585573705&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
However, any one knows how i can wire up the switch so that the light is off when sport mode is inactive, and the ring light turns on when i switch on sport mode?

Would be great if i could get some advice on how to wire up the switch, down to which pins to connect to 8 and 10 on the DTC controller. Thanks in advance!

Name:  wiring_zpsnsggsucl.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  85.6 KB
Old 07-18-2015, 10:40 PM
New Members

Found some info upon reading back through the thread. Just wanna confirm this will work for my button? I'm assuming the NC is left unconnected then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOC
8 -> C
9 -> (+)
10 -> NO
ground wire -> (-)

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be