E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another micro power module (MPM) blown!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw

Hello I have a few questions & I'm hoping someone can help out with some input .
I'm trying to help a friend with his car , It's a 2007 525i .
THE PROBLEM
the radio does not produce any sound & the Screen on the dash flickers
on all white once in awhile . Also the I-drive knob spins freely .

we did look in his trunk but there is no MPM , only an RDC module .
I read on this site that the MPM was integrated into another module
behind the glove box after 2005 . this might explain why it was not in the trunk .

So I was hoping someone would have a suggestion on what I should look for next
to try & fix his problem .

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY INPUT .
Old 01-25-2015, 07:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: MPM Programming

Good day. I have a 535 2004 BMM. MPM burnt out. I found (on line ) a replacement. Car runs and problem solved, but my I drive, music is not working. Some folks are telling me I need to go to BMW to program. Does anyone have a fix. I am sure BMW will sock it to me. lol
Old 01-25-2015, 08:37 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525I base
Default MPM blown

I purchased a 525i about a year ago. Windshield washer fluid spilled intothe bottom of the trunk and my MPM was melted and the cord is corroded. Fromwhat I read my idrive, chime and radio would not work without it. I purchased anew MPM and installed it but my Idrive, chime and radio still will not work.Could it be a fuse issue or could it be the corroded connector? Or is itsomething else. Also is there some special trick to get the MPM off the cord? Please assist.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 525i

could someone please post a photo of the wires going into the mpm?
Old 05-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2006

I'm on the same boat... My trunk was flooded but after I dried the mpm and put it back in end of last year it worked!!! Until yesterday... It's off but turns on with white screen every 1 min or so. Anyone know of the mpm is completely dead will the car chime sound turn on? I'm troubleshooting it to see if it's the mpm or the ccc...
Old 01-29-2016, 12:37 PM

My Ride: 530i
Default have a mpm for sale

Hello if anybody is looking for a used in working condition MPM module i have one for sale on ebay it came off a 2006 bmw 530i
contact me via ebay email or to the email below thanks
julioyova@hotmail.com

2004 2009BMW 528i 530i 545i MPI Micro Power Module | eBay
Old 10-17-2023, 08:44 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 e60

Originally Posted by nmsmith
I just read some other member's post about the micro power module in the trunk that was burnt out after a salt water spill. I had a similiar experience just yesterday when I opened my trunk. It was raining heavily, and when I opened the trunk on my 2004 545i, some of the water run-off from the trunk lid got into the sparewheel well area and shorted everything out. In my opinion - what a stupid place to put these highly sensitive modules!! Now my iDrive / Audio / Nav and PDC has shut down. Car starts and drives normal, except the previously mentioned accessories that no longer work. What I would like to know from other forum members that have had this happen to them as well is what other damages (if any) resulted from a MPM meltdown. I've read some horror posts of similiar events that caused everything on the vehicle to short out, which meant that basically everything CCC / M-ASK / TV module / CD etc etc had to be replaced!! When this happened on my vehicle, the car was actually switched off at the time when the water got into the trunk area. Didn't think much of it at the time, because it was probably about the equivalent of 3 cups of water. It was only when I got back to the car the next morning when I got this strong electrical burn smell from the trunk area. The MPM probably shorted out during the course of the night. Luckilly the car did not caught on fire, cause it could have then burned down my house as well, as the car was parked in my garage. From what I could visually access, only the MPM unit burned out completely, and the wiring loom and 15 pin multi connector (first 3 inches closest to the MPM) melted. Also the fuses; 3 of them - Power Distribution module in trunk on the right side - if I recall correctly fuse # 52 - 10 Amp; fuse # 57 - 20 Amp and fuse # 60 - 7,5 Amp, were all blown. I just hope that by blowing these fuses, it knocked the MPM out before it could cause any more damage to the car's other electronics. If anyone else on this board had a similiar experience, I would be glad to hear from you, and also the damages and cost that you suffered to have this fixed. My car is unfortunately no longer under warrantee. The car has already been taken into my local dealership to access the damage and to give me a quote to repair, but they did inform me that it is going to be a costly affair. They also said that I won't be able to claim from my insurance company, as I was to blame for not drying up the water spill in time.

I find it very interesting that BMW AG decided to move these modules from the trunk area to the body gateway module which is a much safer environment, on all of these cars manufactured after 09/2005. Makes you think that they realized that there was a defect with the vehicle in placing them there in the first place. :thumbsdown:
I'm in same situation but mine won't start. I bought a new module and wiring. I would have it fixed in no time, but I cut wires before I realized the big mistake as all the wires look the same