E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 545i - engine malfunction, drive moderatly

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, 07' gallardo, 12' s65

So this is what I got so far...,

-Cleaned both ccv
-Battery is good, also had another car connected with jumper cables
-Replaced bank 2 pre cat O2 sensor and that did nothing
-No rattling from bank 2 cat
-Replaced coils
-Engine will run reasonably without misfiring for about 10 seconds on start-up, then something happens(?), the rev's go up momentarily and it starts to misfire, it gets worse as it runs.
- If you start the engine with throttle and do not allow it to idle at all, it will not misfire badly until i let go of the throttle and it returns to idle, idles ok for about 10 seconds, then the above described happens
-No bad noises, just misfiring

I seriously thought maybe the o2 sensor was bad and that was causing camshaft position sensor to throw of timing making all cylinders misfire... But I guess its not that.

And I seriously doubt both camshaft position sensors on the drivers side went bad at the same time.

Last edited by Munki; 07-07-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I 4.4l v8 m sport, premium audio, fully loaded

Originally Posted by Munki
I've kept up with maintenance on this car... Actually I think I have had almost every part that's bolted on the engine replaced. I just had all the cooling system replaced, now this problem came up. Once I fix one problem another pops up... maybe the previous owner didnt take car of her? Idk...

And the increased emissions light, that one comes and goes. Took it to the dealer and they couldnt do anything about it since it disappeared once I pulled into the dealer.

anyways..., if anyone else had this problem before post up your experience! I'll also try to get the codes pulled and see what we get.

My 04 545 also has the increased emissions light on, i ran the codes which the only one it threw was P0491, thats the code for the secondary injection system which is a bitch to clean/replace because doing correctly typically requires taking the heads off. The confusing part on my end is that when one goes bad so does the other usually, and code P0491 is only for cylinder bank 1 code P0492 would indicate that bank 2's secondary systems are on their way out or gone. Most people get these codes together, I only have the one and today on my way to work i got the same problem with engine malfunction, no clue what kind of black magic and sorcery these Germans are working with here but its baffling how temper mental these cars are, still fun though...
Old 12-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: 05 bmw 545i with sport package
Default My bmw is throwing the exact same codes as yours

Originally Posted by Munki
So this is what I got so far...,

-Cleaned both ccv
-Battery is good, also had another car connected with jumper cables
-Replaced bank 2 pre cat O2 sensor and that did nothing
-No rattling from bank 2 cat
-Replaced coils
-Engine will run reasonably without misfiring for about 10 seconds on start-up, then something happens(?), the rev's go up momentarily and it starts to misfire, it gets worse as it runs.
- If you start the engine with throttle and do not allow it to idle at all, it will not misfire badly until i let go of the throttle and it returns to idle, idles ok for about 10 seconds, then the above described happens
-No bad noises, just misfiring

I seriously thought maybe the o2 sensor was bad and that was causing camshaft position sensor to throw of timing making all cylinders misfire... But I guess its not that.

And I seriously doubt both camshaft position sensors on the drivers side went bad at the same time.
Spoiler

I was hoping you could tell me what you did to fix your problems as mine is throwing the same codes and having the same issues other then the bad misfire. Mine seams to be running almost normal but is showing message after message. can yoh tell me what you did to fix it. If you did fix it? Thank you. I would greatly appreciate any help
Old 01-12-2021, 04:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by Bobby McQuillan
Spoiler

I was hoping you could tell me what you did to fix your problems as mine is throwing the same codes and having the same issues other then the bad misfire. Mine seams to be running almost normal but is showing message after message. can yoh tell me what you did to fix it. If you did fix it? Thank you. I would greatly appreciate any help
If he ever gets back to you please let me know I am having the same problems. Thanks.