E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car has the Shivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine white steptronic auto, Sport, Cold weather, premium, comfort access, iPod and USB adapter, Logic7, sirius radio, and PDC.

So my car developed the shivers a few months back and I had a few error codes. Took it in and the HPFP was replaced. A few weeks after that it developed the shivers again. After the car warms up it idols rough when I come to a stop. Also if I start the car after it has warmed up it idols extremely rough. I also have an engine malfunction reduced power light come on when I drive up a hill on the highway on my way home from work. The hill is steep and I do 80mph up it and right now the temperature is ~100. I run 91 octance gas but have had the limp mode come on when I was running 100 octane as well. I am scheduled to take the car in this Saturday. What do you think is wrong?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 09 535xi Space Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Trim: Premium Package MSport Package Tech Package Audiophile Sound Package

Originally Posted by DrPorter' post='956886' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:50 AM
So my car developed the shivers a few months back and I had a few error codes. Took it in and the HPFP was replaced. A few weeks after that it developed the shivers again. After the car warms up it idols rough when I come to a stop. Also if I start the car after it has warmed up it idols extremely rough. I also have an engine malfunction reduced power light come on when I drive up a hill on the highway on my way home from work. The hill is steep and I do 80mph up it and right now the temperature is ~100. I run 91 octance gas but have had the limp mode come on when I was running 100 octane as well. I am scheduled to take the car in this Saturday. What do you think is wrong?
Hey Dr.,

Last week my car developed the "shivers" as well. I was at a red light and the whole car started to shake and the the engine light came on. I was able to make it home alright so I parked it for the night. The next morning I started it up and it was still shaking (although not a severly and the engine light was still on) After checking my owner's manual, it said that the engine may be misfiring and to bring it to a dealership ASAP.
I had it brought to my dealer and since they are so booked up I am still waiting for an answer on what's wrong with it...... I'm starting to get pissed off after not being able to drive my car for more than a week.

I thought that the 09's didn't have the same HPFP problems however this may very well be the problem.... (according to these forums) I'm not too technical so I'm wondering if anyone else out there has some input on this???

Thx!

Zeus
Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by DrPorter' post='956886' date='Jul 28 2009, 08:50 PM
You need the x35i tune up. Take it to the dealers and it will be fixed.

This only for the TT 3.0 l gas engines in NA.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine white steptronic auto, Sport, Cold weather, premium, comfort access, iPod and USB adapter, Logic7, sirius radio, and PDC.
Unhappy

UPDATE!
So I took the car into the dealership, which is 3 hours from my house. On the way there the car had a SOS communication error and all audio shut off for about 20 minutes, then returned to normal.

I explained to them the rough idol, engine malfunction reduced power light, and the most recent SOS error.

Well the SA finally got back to me today and he said they have opened a PUMA case and he had no idea what needed to be done to fix the car.

What does this mean and what should I do.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

WOW 3 hour drive to the dealer must suck.
Good luck to you.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Members

The dealership just called and claimed the car had codes showing the ecu had been messed with. I have software 29.2, is this even possible with that software. Is the dealership just trying to play the blame game so they do not have to fix the problem? What should I do?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Members

My 335 had the turbo tuner and I always just took it out prior to leaving it at the dealer. Are they saying although you took the device out that they can still see evidence of it being there??

Any other information from the dealer??
Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Members

Someone mentioned it needed the x35 or n54 tune-up. What is this?

The only thing done to the car is a rpi scoop. The dealer also replaced the hpfp and then the problem started. Either the hpfp was not the real problem or something got messed up.