DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cpo
While I haven't installed mine yet...I fully intend to use the 3M tape (and not glue) to affix as well as painters tape to strap it to the car while it cures. It is my understanding that it take a while for the adhesive to fully cure once put into place. Taping during this period ensures that it stays firmly pressed against the trunk surface. I imagine this is most valuable when it comes to the corner edges, which seem to want to lift if not prepped and cured properly.

I just got word that I may be coming back to the States soon...so hopefully I can actually install mine in the next few weeks. Sure, I could have installed it right when I received it...but I was limited on time and the weather was a little colder than I wanted. I only want to do this once, and the right way.

Please share your results and pics when you get yours on!
Thanks, I think I will tape down the spoiler to aid the bonding process too.

I'm with you on the do it once, do it right statement. Hopefully it gets shipped soon

Once I get it and the weather clears up long enough to allow it to fully cure I'll post up pics of the before and after

Hope you get yours installed once your back too
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jay77
Thanks, I think I will tape down the spoiler to aid the bonding process too.

I'm with you on the do it once, do it right statement. Hopefully it gets shipped soon

Once I get it and the weather clears up long enough to allow it to fully cure I'll post up pics of the before and after

Hope you get yours installed once your back too
I haven't got mine yet but when I do I will take you guys suggestions when doing it.

I am not sure should I get more 3M tape or whatever n there should be sufficient

Cheers
Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Thanks for the link, Just ordered one in Titanium Silver

@ people that bought and fitted it, did you need to use tape to hold it down while gluing or did you find it stuck fairly easily?
I bought one of these a year ago, its been on since and not showing any signs of lifting using the supplied double sided tape. I used the accelerator that came with it, stuck it on on a warm day and then held it down for a couple of hours with masking tape. If in uk- be warned, customs charged me about £3 duty(fair), but FedEx then charged admin for paying it of £11, so added £14 to orig price, still a bargain but FedEx sucks. :thumbsdown:
Old 04-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Contributors

Just recieved mine, luckily it got through ok and no additional charges

Now just need it to stop raining and time off to fit it
Overall first impressions are good, did a test fit and it's a good colour match and seems to sit ok.

A couple of queries
1. Is it meant to be hollow or should there be a mounting plate underneath it? The little (not translated well) instruction booklet seems to show one
2. Should the tape be pre installed and if not did the accelerator have to be used on both sides of the tape?
3. When fitting do i just paint the accelerator on the area the spoiler will sit on first?

Any tips on alignment would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Just recieved mine, luckily it got through ok and no additional charges

Now just need it to stop raining and time off to fit it
Overall first impressions are good, did a test fit and it's a good colour match and seems to sit ok.

A couple of queries
1. Is it meant to be hollow or should there be a mounting plate underneath it? The little (not translated well) instruction booklet seems to show one
2. Should the tape be pre installed and if not did the accelerator have to be used on both sides of the tape?
3. When fitting do i just paint the accelerator on the area the spoiler will sit on first?

Any tips on alignment would be appreciated

Thanks
well done on no charges, I guess I was just unlucky.
What I did/advise: There was no mounting plate on mine-tape came pre installed on spoiler with me- I'd use accelerator on both sides, fit tape to spoiler and give it a few hours to set. Also, I'd suggerst leaving a small gap in the centre at the bottom to act as a drain in case any water gets in- if it does and freezes, it could lift the spoiler. I dry fitted mine and marked its position around the enges with masking tape so I could position it correctly when actually fitting, on the tape side, leave tails of backing paper of about 3" hanging off end when you fit to spoiler, when you fit spoiler, ensure these are twisted out from beneath. Place spoiler in position using the masking tape markers and start pulling the tails out from the centre on top. Warning- the tape sticks like the preverbial you know what to a blanket, I didnt want to risk the soapy water trick, although it maybe ok to use. Ensure soiler in correct position then press down onto boot lid firmly and then tape down for a couple of hours or more. If you have a garage, use it- if not wait until a warmer dayas that will make it all go together better. Good luck with it
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krisbiker2
well done on no charges, I guess I was just unlucky.
What I did/advise: There was no mounting plate on mine-tape came pre installed on spoiler with me- I'd use accelerator on both sides, fit tape to spoiler and give it a few hours to set. Also, I'd suggerst leaving a small gap in the centre at the bottom to act as a drain in case any water gets in- if it does and freezes, it could lift the spoiler. I dry fitted mine and marked its position around the enges with masking tape so I could position it correctly when actually fitting, on the tape side, leave tails of backing paper of about 3" hanging off end when you fit to spoiler, when you fit spoiler, ensure these are twisted out from beneath. Place spoiler in position using the masking tape markers and start pulling the tails out from the centre on top. Warning- the tape sticks like the preverbial you know what to a blanket, I didnt want to risk the soapy water trick, although it maybe ok to use. Ensure soiler in correct position then press down onto boot lid firmly and then tape down for a couple of hours or more. If you have a garage, use it- if not wait until a warmer dayas that will make it all go together better. Good luck with it

Thanks Krisbiker2 , looks like I will have to wait it out till next weekend to fit it. Hopefully the weather will be warmer / dry long enough to fit it. Thanks for the tip on the gap and the masking tape to mark the lining up after the test fit.

I know this sounds thick, so I apologies in advance if I have misunderstood or missed something. But when and how do you apply the accelerator to the side being stuck to the boot? Is it just a case of spread it on the boot within the masked area and wipe off any excess after pushing down on the spoiler?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Members

Thanks Krisbiker2 , looks like I will have to wait it out till next weekend to fit it. Hopefully the weather will be warmer / dry long enough to fit it. Thanks for the tip on the gap and the masking tape to mark the lining up after the test fit.

I know this sounds thick, so I apologies in advance if I have misunderstood or missed something. But when and how do you apply the accelerator to the side being stuck to the boot? Is it just a case of spread it on the boot within the masked area and wipe off any excess after pushing down on the spoiler?
Not thick- good question. TBH I dont really know the 100% correct answer- I ran it around the boot where the tape would sit, it dried so quickly there was nothing to wipe away when the spoiler was seated, all I can say is this approach seems to have worked for me.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krisbiker2
Not thick- good question. TBH I dont really know the 100% correct answer- I ran it around the boot where the tape would sit, it dried so quickly there was nothing to wipe away when the spoiler was seated, all I can say is this approach seems to have worked for me.
Thanks, will post up a pic once its on
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Members

Please let me know how it turns out for you.

About spreading the activator - I thought the tape had already mounted when I got it so - apply the activator only on the side of the tap that would stick to the trunk right?

Thanks much guys

BTW the reason I haven't tried is that I had Miro 111 installed at a shop and they forgot to put the hub rings so my car is not vibrate (like riding a shopping cart) ... they are ordering a hub ring set and after that if that fix the vibration issue I will try to install this.

Cheers
Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 PM
cpo
Members

I finally had the time and right weather to install my rear spoiler. I ;personally think it looks great. The paint match was spot on (it's black after all) and installation was a breeze. I wasn't in my usual home garage, so I was limited on supplies. My roll of painter's tape was my primary tool!
Here are some pics.
Sorry....all have at present is a cell phone.
E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-img-20120504-00001.jpg
E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-img-20120504-00003.jpg
E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-img-20120504-00004.jpg
E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-img-20120505-00005.jpg
E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-img-20120505-00006.jpg
E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-img-20120505-00007.jpg

Quick Reply: E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)